Single Tops After Topping

• Thread starter Meakanu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Meakanu

Meakanu

not sure if it's something I'm doing wrong or just the genetics of da plant but I've been getting mixed results topping.
The first time I topped all my plants at the 5th nod they all did like they were supposed to and started two new tops.
The problem came when I topped the 2nd time after the new tops got at least 3 new nods. Some have two new tops but if they do one is much smaller then the other and some simply only resprouted a single top.
Photo of the single after topping and photo of the double with one being smaller.

Single tops after topping
Single tops after topping 2
mdmazing

mdmazing

I would say that you topped too late. But I dont know. In my experience, if I top early in the lifetime, i got two similar tops. But when I top them later at the vegetative stage, for example to control plant height, the tops are always one bigger than the other. Of corse this also happens for another reason... which i am not being able to explain at this time of the night, in this language, sorry.

J

Jfrezy

Topping is important to get a big yield. The more top buds means more weight in the long run. Topping plants early gives the plant more opportunity to produce more tops before flowering.

Meakanu

Meakanu

Topping is important to get a big yield. The more top buds means more weight in the long run. Topping plants early gives the plant more opportunity to produce more tops before flowering.
Rajah
Dats why I topped erm but if I'm not getting extra tops from topping I think it defeats da purpose.
Need to figure out why some of the "topped" tops are only resprouting one new top and not two new tops.

Bannacis

Bannacis

Some strains after a certain point (age) the two lateral branches opposite each other will start to drift.
One will be higher than the other, as plant gets taller this distance will also get longer.
Sometime that it's just one node after another...even when topped.
But cutting the top is what brings the lower branches up to its level so to speak.
I had a Island sweet skunk x Hawaiian skunk that did that early on in its life.
I topped and all branches took off, but no pairs... just one node at a time and on one side (upper) like some domesticated house vine, and wanted to grow long and many nodes.
Every strain is going to react different in all growth stages, even same strain there are various phenotypes that will be different.
There is also the issue of when you cut the top and if there were any type of damage done to the existing plant top.
if the cut top is real small and while snipping it, somehow the branches was squeezed or bruised...that will cause one side doing better than the other. or if the plant has matured enough to the point of above mentioning of branches natural offsetting.
Now it's up to the end result if it is worth continuing growing this strain.
If you have clones and they continue with this trait. then either grow or throw.
Good luck.

Meakanu

Meakanu

Rajah, thank you for the edjicating reply bro.
Some strains after a certain point (age) the two lateral branches opposite each other will start to drift.
One will be higher than the other, as plant gets taller this distance will also get longer.
Sometime that it's just one node after another...even when topped.
But cutting the top is what brings the lower branches up to its level so to speak.
I had a Island sweet skunk x Hawaiian skunk that did that early on in its life.
I topped and all branches took off, but no pairs... just one node at a time and on one side (upper) like some domesticated house vine, and wanted to grow long and many nodes.
Every strain is going to react different in all growth stages, even same strain there are various phenotypes that will be different.
There is also the issue of when you cut the top and if there were any type of damage done to the existing plant top.
if the cut top is real small and while snipping it, somehow the branches was squeezed or bruised...that will cause one side doing better than the other. or if the plant has matured enough to the point of above mentioning of branches natural offsetting.
Now it's up to the end result if it is worth continuing growing this strain.
If you have clones and they continue with this trait. then either grow or throw.
Good luck.
Rajah! Thank you for the edjicating reply bro.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

You need to top early.
Rajah
Dats why I topped erm but if I'm not getting extra tops from topping I think it defeats da purpose.
Need to figure out why some of the "topped" tops are only resprouting one new top and not two new tops.

Organikz

Organikz

Here is what's going on...apical dominance. Apical dominance can be released with cytokinin found in coconut water. It's a natural plant growth hormone that can be absorbed by your plants. I don't top at all...as a matter of fact I don't cut my plants at all unless there's a branch touching my mulch. I train with coconut water.
15060838720461843782168-jpg.743284

It will benefit you on pulling those lateral out. When you flip 12/12 a lot more lateral growth and branching happens.

As you can see it also sets flowers fairly evenly. My lights are off but I'm hitting them tonight because lateral almost reaching the top on sativa.

Irish063

Irish063

I had that same problem with mine man but I think it was because I was not carful enough when I topped and ended up taking off one of the modes that would become a new top. (Hope that made sense)

Top Bottom