Sixstrings Led Cob Builds

• Thread starter sixstring
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Toaster79

Toaster79

I am looking into using a bridge rectifier on 110v to power a cob string & would be interested in input from any who have tried this . The voltage conv from ac to rectified dc is 1.4 so 110v ac is 156v rectified dc you have to use a capacitor to take the "ripple" out & produce smooth dc & get a correct voltage reading , with a diode before the rectifier that can be switched on or off you have a dimmer that would simulate morning & evening ..... this should give the best efficiency of any led powering manner . Could use help specing the capacitor for 5 x 50w 30v cobs

First of all you'll want a transformer of sufficient power to galvanically separate your system from the mains. You don't want to fuck around with mains directly as you have no controll whatsoever and you'll most likely get killed if your asking such questions. Pick a ratio of your choice, but you could simply take a 1:1 ratio. Then you'll wire your rectifire bridge or build one yourself using appropriate diodes, 4 of them that is. Regarding capacity of the electrolytic capacitor/s, you'll need at least 1000uF per 1A of current rated for the voltage you're working with.

Good luck and stay alive!

hdrhyder

hdrhyder

First of all you'll want a transformer of sufficient power to galvanically separate your system from the mains. You don't want to fuck around with mains directly as you have no controll whatsoever and you'll most likely get killed if your asking such questions. Pick a ratio of your choice, but you could simply take a 1:1 ratio. Then you'll wire your rectifire bridge or build one yourself using appropriate diodes, 4 of them that is. Regarding capacity of the electrolytic capacitor/s, you'll need at least 1000uF per 1A of current rated for the voltage you're working with.

Good luck and stay alive!
Thanks for the help Brother & the kind assessment of my intelligence

Toaster79

Toaster79

Well you aren't transforming voltage so should be no loss till the chips but still looking into a simple ways to regulate amps to drive them softly ...Avid Learner? ...Help ? ...Please

To limit the current you're gonna need a circuit. This is where things start getting complicated. If you think you can simply put together a few resistors and capacitors in a circuit with a few other components and have it work at 100% efficiency, then what's the point of Meanwell and other companies selling their drivers? The way you're thinking, everyone could build a driver from scratch and do it cheap while at it.

For starters you're gonna need a current limiting circuit of some sort, be it buck, boost or both types. You could also go linear way but it's gonna get inefficient really soon. Google current limiting circuit or similar, download some datasheets and see for yourself why everyone isn't building their own drivers.

hdrhyder

hdrhyder

Anytime ;)
Mr. Wonderful & his two cents ...never read anything constructive from you in any of these threads ...vulgar , abusive , belittling , big on opinion at every opportunity ...."ANYTIME"... really? Hey Six have really enjoyed looking at your crop pics I lived in Alpena in the 90s wish we knew each other coulda had some times . learned some cool stuff from you & Supra many thanks maybe check back someday Peace & Happy Trails

Toaster79

Toaster79

Mr. Wonderful & his two cents ...never read anything constructive from you in any of these threads ...vulgar , abusive , belittling , big on opinion at every opportunity ...."ANYTIME"... really?

So what? Do i have to put a list of materials together and draw you the schematics to kiss enough up your ass? Youre the one wanting to run your COBs off the mains without the driver, not me. If you don't like the answers that's your problem, not mine. I don't know what's your electronics knowledge but I do know it's not sufficient for you to pull the project you have in your head through. Call me what you want, but in the end you'll be the one looking for medical assistance after getting electrocuted, if you'll be able at all.

AvidLerner

AvidLerner

Using bridge rectifiers is for the highly knowledgeable. The idea is to create four circuits from , all equal, not easy. you can buy a BR circuit nowadays here is an example
I would not recommedn using a circuit you do not understand completely, they can kill. namaste

sixstring

sixstring

some cob plant pics,took this rr down last night :cool:
under 1050ma cree 2700k
IMG 1192 rr
IMG 1198 rr
IMG 1200 rr
IMG 1201 rr
IMG 1207 rr

couple mk under mixed 3500k and 3000k cree
50w per cob
IMG 1193 mk