Slightly moldy buds

• Thread starter north knect
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
XTC

XTC

I myself am allergic to penicillin..one reason I've never had taken shrooms..does anybody kno what types of molds I should stay away from?..I'm sure I've smoked weed at one point in my life with mild spores on it unknowingly..I'm sure most of us have

Shrooms are unlikely to be contaminated with appreciable amounts of penicillium. Trichoderma is the most common one...

There are mold spores everywhere in all the air you breathe...just not in sufficient quantities to cause you issues..

north knect

north knect

The penicillin allergy runs deep in my family..my uncle who's more of my rebal big brother , had a severe allergy attack from shrooms actually..he still has a huge chunk in a frame cuz it almost killed him..nice friendly reminder..may have just been the strain of shroom though perhaps..white with bright blue veins throughout the stalk total white cap

XTC

XTC

Strain would have nothing to do with it...would be what it was contaminated with..

Sorry to hear of your uncle..

M

MANUTD21

The reason I ask is because if the mold is white then its just cob web mold which is cause simply by damp conditions. This mold can be killed with a mixture of H2O2 and H2O. Water and Hydrogen Peroxide...mixed 50 to 1. Mist the buds with this and let it dry over night. The mold should "dissolve"
hello mate ive got some hydrogen peroxide bottle here lableed as 3 percent.how much water do i mix with this mate

S

SteveT

Hey Guys,

My first post and this one caught my eye. I figured it would be great to lend help before asking for it. I am a biochemist, I have 15 years in consumer packaged good, food, cosmetics, pharma. This is a GREAT question so lets address it scientifically.

As a whole, most extraction techniques should kill off the molds. Between the heat, the solvents, etc not much would survive. I would highly recommend going with an ethanol extraction, being very generous with your EtOH to bud ratio as ethanol is tried and true in the consumption industry. I'd also push the upper limits of extraction time to maximize EtOH contact.

What I would be most aware of is the type of mold. Many of these organism types release a self protective measure collectively called mycotoxins (think magic mushrooms but the ones I'm worried about will kill you, look up Alfatoxin as that is one of the more well known ones however there are many). From my own experience, mycotoxins can survive temperatures in excess of 500F

If its a small amount of bud, write it off and treasure your health. If it is a large amount, I would most definitely invest in mycotoxin testing POST EXTRACTION. It does not take much to hurt you and the minimum detention limit is not very respectable, so post concentration step will be best, just like pesticides. Any reputable lab with an HPLC should be able to perform this test at a cost under $100. I have negotiated it down to $30, but I was spending tens of thousands a year.

I hope this helps. Please note, I am new to your world, so the above is a general statement regarding mold in consumable products. Also, I work on the chemistry side, I usually have a biologist who works with me to consult on these specific issues so you're getting the summary version of what I understand.

Top Bottom