Smells Like Hay

• Thread starter brownred
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
brownred

brownred

Hello, I’m new at this but I do have a green thumb. I clipped a couple of small buds the experiment either before the final. Layed them out to dry and the fist couple day they smelled good but on day 2.5 and day 3 they smell like hay. Second time this has happened. Is this normal? If not what am I doing wrong?
Also, it isnt quit ready to harvest yet either. It’s still a little early.

Thanks!

Last edited:
chemistry

chemistry

Try not to be to harsh when you dry your cut weed, or you'll dry out the oils that give the aroma your missing. Try to just dry it and finish it slowly, but not to slow that it goes mouldy.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Try not to be to harsh when you dry your cut weed, or you'll dry out the oils that give the aroma your missing. Try to just dry it and finish it slowly, but not to slow that it goes mouldy.
slow drying does not make moldy weed. Not having adequate air flow/exchange and having the buds crammed together lends to mold. I have always dried mine slowly for 2 weeks, week 1 at 65% rh and then 2nd week I cut the rh down to 50%. then after week 2 they get laid in paper bags for a few days and then get jarred. With the typical burping for a bit. Most of my personal stash stays in curing jars for at least 8 weeks.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Now most high for sale producers don't have this amount of time, but with personal stash why rush a good thing. Slow dry and a proper cure is the ticket to top shelf smooth smoke. Great genetics as well also helps this process. It took 2-3 months to get to harvest and lots of folks screw it up by rushing or dryn and curin too quickly.

DismalDude

DismalDude

Now most high for sale producers don't have this amount of time, but with personal stash why rush a good thing. Slow dry and a proper cure is the ticket to top shelf smooth smoke. Great genetics as well also helps this process. It took 2-3 months to get to harvest and lots of folks screw it up by rushing or dryn and curin too quickly.
That is the gospel right there.

DismalDude

DismalDude

I grow in a tent and as it happens that's the perfect place to hang and dry your wares too.jumpincactus is on point with what he said.The only thing I do different from a lot of growers is hang the entire plant in my tent and after a week or so I then trim.Using the bags is that other little step a lot of people miss.It makes a huge difference in my book.Minimal burping after that process and smells,tastes wonderful.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Bone yard
59E0E368 B345 4DDC 979F 6DA15EB12432

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
yuppers I use a standalone tent for drying only. Easy way to regulate air movement and maintain a constant Rh.

Only leaves I remove at chop are the larger fans. The rest just wither and wrap the buds in sugar leaf goodness and helps to slow the dry as well. Some of the best smelling and tasting bud was slow dried for 4 weeks and then jar cured for another 2 months. OMG!!!!!

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I grow in a tent and as it happens that's the perfect place to hang and dry your wares too.jumpincactus is on point with what he said.The only thing I do different from a lot of growers is hang the entire plant in my tent and after a week or so I then trim.Using the bags is that other little step a lot of people miss.It makes a huge difference in my book.Minimal burping after that process and smells,tastes wonderful.
and of course cactus man is "on point" Im a cactus, I have plenty of points. lmao :p

Monster762

Monster762

I dry close to 60 degrees and 60% rh with ton of airflow but not blowing on buds.
Takes a week to 2 usually. If it dries in less than a week you’re losing out.
At a week or so I’m usually around 70 rh in the bud ( tested by sealing in jar with hygrometer). From there I air daily sometimes lay out again if it gets wet at first.
Room stays dark dark I hang on Walmart 6 tier hangers that have clips. Just clip on the end you cut n done.
I tried whole plant hanging too. It’s ok but I found just cutting to large branches and getting main stalk out works little better.
I tried trimming both ways n find wet trim better in my case. I trim 90% of all leaf off. Saving sugars. Leaf is harsh. Then I tune em in right before jar with the fine tip scissors.
Honestly curing does improve it but if dried right it won’t really need a cure. It should be right before jarring. The jar is only to even out the last bit of moisture til you get your preffered smoking rh
I use plastic food containers instead of jars sometimes too n think they actually work just as good or better in the end of drying.

straincreation

straincreation

well lookie here. Where you been hiding @straincreation ??? Good to see you around man. Hope lifes being good to you. :D
Whats good bro ya came to see about this weird anomaly i have with my girls. To no avail.

straincreation

straincreation

well lookie here. Where you been hiding @straincreation ??? Good to see you around man. Hope lifes being good to you. :D

Yes all is well on the forfront, im mostly on ig now. Except when i have problems that my XP hasnt come across which is rare but does happen

Top Bottom