Soaking Vs Dipping: Cloning Gel

• Thread starter dan1989
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
dan1989

dan1989

Was just curious for the future as I was told by a grower I know, that they like to make small cuts in the stem of their clones and soak em in the rooting gel for an hour. To be fair they have a great success rate with their clones, just wondering if anyone does this after previously only dipping and whether it made any noticeable difference in root growth speed/quality/volume?

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
If you skin the side of the cut and dip it in gel it sits there in the puck. I take less than 2 inch clones and a whole 50 pack will be done in 14 days

Clonex
Tap water
Razor

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I just cut at a 45*. No shaving, no slicing, no fancy underwater clone.cutting.

Tap water ph to 6.0 if in an aero cloner

dip n grow clone liquid.

My record rs from.cut to pot is 5 days with my.darlins net strain. Only strain that roots super fast out of 16.

I soak a min of 5 mins
max 15 mins

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I just cut at a 45*. No shaving, no slicing, no fancy underwater clone.cutting.

Tap water ph to 6.0 if in an aero cloner

dip n grow clone liquid.

My record rs from.cut to pot is 5 days with my.darlins net strain. Only strain that roots super fast out of 16.

I soak a min of 5 mins
max 15 mins
A 45 degree cut usually negates the skinning... you just need to open up cells to the indole 3 butyric acid.... probably spelled way wrong.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I dip, I was under the impression that too long submerged in the hormones had a negative effect. Depending on laziness, I either do the 45 cut only or the 45 cut and shave the sides. It then gets a dip of 5 to 10 seconds or less and into a jiffy puck or whatever I am using at the time. I really haven't noticed a big improvement with scraping the sides, I feel they put out a stronger initial set of roots when I do, but within a week or so the 45 only catches up.

Dunge

Dunge

Fresh cuts into water.
Good here for at least 24 hours.
Invert and trim heavily, including cutting leaf ends.
45 degree cut just to make a pointy end.
Into test tube of full strength Dip d Grow using a pipet to squirt the stem.
Into Rapid Rooters.
Into six pack holder.
Into flat with a screened dome.
Onto heater and under a 2 foot T5.
Keep water level above the tray ribs.
Just add water for eight days.
Up pot those with roots.
Keep searching for roots to day 15.

BigBun

BigBun

Cut at 45 dip in home depots rooting powder best shit ive ever used and super cheep beats clonex to dead. Any way then i stick em in cubes and forget

Every time i use any kind of powder my cuts die. No matter if i make a solution to let the cuts soak in, or if i dip or if i water the plugs with a solution. They always turn brown and die. I cant do it right with powder. Im growing my own Aloe Vera now. :)

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
Every time i use any kind of powder my cuts die. No matter if i make a solution to let the cuts soak in, or if i dip or if i water the plugs with a solution. They always turn brown and die. I cant do it right with powder. Im growing my own Aloe Vera now. :)
Well looks like you need to step yo game up son

BigBun

BigBun

Well looks like you need to step yo game up son

When it comes to any kind of powder you are definitely right :D I have good results just not with any kind of powder :D

I had the most reliable quota with plain tapwater and thats also what i run in my cloner. I barely use rooting agents. I have 10ml of clone gel and my aloe vera plant and i am running a test atm. Aloe works better than willow water.

-Aloe
-Gel
-Powder
-Tap Water

Each of them had soaked 24h in water with the rooting agent before they went in Eazy Plugs.
Powder batch is already dead, rest is about a week old and i will see which one will root fastest. Half of them had their stem scraped the other half not.

Dunge

Dunge

@Dunge

Are you diluting the dip n grow as directed? What % dilution are you using? 20% here.
I use Dip n Grow full strength.
This last round I diluted it and let stems soak based I believe on your recommendation.
Didn't have as good a result as wanted. I had taken extra cuts, so I got what I needed.

As to leaf cutting, I suspect it is a method to allow closer packing of cuttings.
If I left them untrimmed they would be shading neighbors in the six pack.

The thing I like most about this method is the water only aspect.
It's easy, and it works for me.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Hmm
Never tried the full strength. I wouldn't leave them soak longer than 5 seconds. This dip n grow is super concentrated. Reason why they have dilution markings on the plastic mixing cup. I keep wanting to add .5ml (@20% dilution) to my 2.5gal aero cloner. Wonder if it will speed things up even more, or kill everything off.

P

Pimples

Super healthy well pruned stock mother donor plants. Healthy 3 to 5 inch branches trimmed up with several nubbed off nodes. 45 degrees cut. Dipped in ANY IBA based rooting hormone. Gels..powders..liquids. No matter. Placed in rockwool. Peat pucks. Root Riots/Rapids. Oasis. Peat. Cups or inserts of coco coir
Any of the mediums. All the same to me. Lined up in standard 10x20 prop trays. Misted with a spray bottle of water. Humidity dome with vents barely cracked and opened progressively every other day. Heat mat set to 75 degrees. Placed under 18 to 24 hours of t5 florescent lamps. 100% rooting everytime within 5 to 20 days depending on variety or cultivar. Keep it simple. Not much thinking involved with getting cuttings to strike roots. Ive literally taken thousands if not tens of thousands of cuts in the 25 plus years ive been involved with cannabis horticulture. Again...keep it simple.

Last edited:
JMcG

JMcG

I used to dip. Now I soak for just a couple of minutes, just long enough to prep the next cut.
Just tried rx solutions " life " for the first time last week... we'll see.

dan1989

dan1989

When you start comparing and what not. Over what medium method or rooting hormone "works better" than another...you havent cloned enough. Period.

Well of course, if someone has zero experience with something, how are they to know that? For a complete cloning noob like myself, for all I know, every piece of info on this page is wrong. But, I trust these guys to point me in the general right direction. I was simply asking whether anyone had more fortunate results with soaking their clones vs dipping, that's all. From what I can tell, it doesn't make a difference :D :D

dan1989

dan1989

When you start comparing and what not. Over what medium method or rooting hormone "works better" than another...you havent cloned enough. Period.

No beef intended btw, People tend to have a bad habit of taking things the wrong way...

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Here's a super awesomw t8d bit for all you are cloner guys and gals. In over 5yrs of aero cloner, I've never ever see this awesomw growth on 10 different strains. All strains were cut, soaked, under same light, temps, etc. ALL 10 strains show pretty much same root mass growth. BUT all 10 almost look identical in growth and mass. In the past 5+yrs this has never happened.

What' my trick now. Adding 1.5ml dip n grow solution (20% dilution ratio) per my 2.5gal aero cloner. From now on, 1.5ml will go into my cloner every time fresh water or a new batch of clones goes in.

See pic below.

20171228 201125
20171228 201341

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom