Soil Or Soiless?

• Thread starter Xan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Xan

Xan

Hello I am new hear and starting to buy my equipment for my first ever grow. I was watching vids on soil and i see some guys use soiless medium to grow in. I see they use cal mag. can some help me with the pros n cons of this vs an organic soil grow?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I think a peat lite mix like pro mix and a simple complete fertilizer is the best way to learn how to grow plants.

Transitioning from ammended potting soil to nutes can be very tricky without knowing how plants grow and react.

And cal mag is not needed in almost any case I see even with ro water. Most cannabis nutes contain calcium amd magnesium and the rest of the micronutrients.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
I think a peat lite mix like pro mix and a simple complete fertilizer is the best way to learn how to grow plants.

Transitioning from ammended potting soil to nutes can be very tricky without knowing how plants grow and react.

And cal mag is not needed in almost any case I see even with ro water. Most cannabis nutes contain calcium amd magnesium and the rest of the micronutrients.
I agree, but all environments are different. I have to use RO water because my tap water is 1.3 ec(650 ppm). I cant grow without cal mag in plain promix but I only use 2-4ml /gal. Do you use RO water, thought you used well water?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I agree, but all environments are different. I have to use RO water because my tap water is 1.3 ec(650 ppm). I cant grow without cal mag in plain promix but I only use 2-4ml /gal. Do you use RO water, thought you used well water?

I used to use ro water when i was new. The hydro store owner told me my plants were burning because of my tap water and sold me a $200 stealth 100 ro filter. Lol

I learned about alkalinity later. They didnt really explain about it well in the popular grow books so i started studying greenhouse production where source water is the first thing considered.

The lime in promix should take care of any buffering amd calcium/mag needs. But premier horticulture does recommend 150 ppm source water as a buffer for no adjustment neccessary.

So does jacks classic page and any greenhouse or indoor guides for food or flower production.

And it is in jorje cervantes grow book but only a short blurb and a suggestion for higher runoff to manage harder water.

For your hard water you really have no choice but ro. But i would still add tap to 150 ppm and skip the additives.

Im lucky at the new house. Well almost 4 years here now. Got a deep well and jet pump to the basement so it never freezes. It is .3 ec 150ppm and has a bit too much iron and not enough mag.

I am going to add a filter for the iron and sulfer eating bacteria (only a few harmless ppm’s) and then it will be perfect for the plants and the people.

But close enough for good gardening as is.

And of course my friend. I am not suggesting you fix what is not broken. Just sharing my knowledge and experience and opinion.

Xan

Xan

Thank you all , my other hobby is growing corals in my reef tank for that I use an rodi unit for water ,my tds out of the tap is 35-40 ppm . the di is the last chamber has deionizing resin it . is this beneficial or not for plant water?

T

TheKoreanKid

Hello I am new hear and starting to buy my equipment for my first ever grow. I was watching vids on soil and i see some guys use soiless medium to grow in. I see they use cal mag. can some help me with the pros n cons of this vs an organic soil grow?
Look up nectar for the gods starter pack. All you do is pay the shipping and they send you like 7 or 8 products.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I used to use ro water when i was new. The hydro store owner told me my plants were burning because of my tap water and sold me a $200 stealth 100 ro filter. Lol

I learned about alkalinity later. They didnt really explain about it well in the popular grow books so i started studying greenhouse production where source water is the first thing considered.

The lime in promix should take care of any buffering amd calcium/mag needs. But premier horticulture does recommend 150 ppm source water as a buffer for no adjustment neccessary.

So does jacks classic page and any greenhouse or indoor guides for food or flower production.

And it is in jorje cervantes grow book but only a short blurb and a suggestion for higher runoff to manage harder water.

For your hard water you really have no choice but ro. But i would still add tap to 150 ppm and skip the additives.

Im lucky at the new house. Well almost 4 years here now. Got a deep well and jet pump to the basement so it never freezes. It is .3 ec 150ppm and has a bit too much iron and not enough mag.

I am going to add a filter for the iron and sulfer eating bacteria (only a few harmless ppm’s) and then it will be perfect for the plants and the people.

But close enough for good gardening as is.

And of course my friend. I am not suggesting you fix what is not broken. Just sharing my knowledge and experience and opinion.

I've said it before, you are a wise Gardener man. I love reading your posts and often pick up a few things I didnt know or had forgotten. Alkalinity is a pretty big deal.

I normally just use rainwater because that's all I have for a water supply. I'm in the boonies and no well below my house. I just run full strength nutrients and rarely see deficiencies but I do add cal-mag if it looks like they need it, or sometimes just Epsom salt if it doesnt need cal, or cal nitrate.. you get the point.

I've never bothered to add alkalinity to my water because I haven't had any issues but you've brought up greenhouse source water and it reminded me about some things I had forgotten. I might experiment a bit with some chalk I have here for beer brewing on the next run.

I

Ikkt

Thank you all , my other hobby is growing corals in my reef tank for that I use an rodi unit for water ,my tds out of the tap is 35-40 ppm . the di is the last chamber has deionizing resin it . is this beneficial or not for plant water?

Iirc the resin is mostly for Si (and minimal amounts of other stuff) that slips through the ro membrane, to reduce brown algae/diatoms.
So no, normally it shouldn't be beneficial. If you use something with silicate in it it won't matter but you don't need a exchange stage after ro for nutrient solution.

Btw. I think hydro with neutral media like perlite or correls is the easiest method and especially the best to learn. Total control and if one fucks up something just change out solution to a well known recipe. I don't even really care for pH anymore, set it once than let it go wherever it wants. No problems with that, with good chelates/fertilizer (f. example with eddha) everything except Boron should be available in a wide range.
Perhaps it's the 25-50ppm fulvic acid, the 10-20ppm potassium humate and the protein hydroysate I put in there that makes it work so well but that stuff is dirt cheap and a pound lasts a long time (if you don't buy scam-in-a-bottle). I put it in every solution I make, even for my houseplants.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xan
Nugg

Nugg

I have to agree with mimed...as I'm also a Michigan grower that uses his well water..165ppm..7.1 pH.low iron ,little high calcium..I myself prefer water medium..it's cheap and easier.. don't have to worry about watering schedule..I wouldn't bring in any kind of dirt in my place.. attracts pest..

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have to agree with mimed...as I'm also a Michigan grower that uses his well water..165ppm..7.1 pH.low iron ,little high calcium..I myself prefer water medium..it's cheap and easier.. don't have to worry about watering schedule..I wouldn't bring in any kind of dirt in my place.. attracts pest..

But I grow in potting soil. ;-)

Nugg

Nugg

But I grow in potting soil. ;-)
I know..I seen..I just meant the water and waisting money because someone or a " grow store"telling you what to buy..I'm sure they will point you to the most time consuming and maintenance needed thing to get you to keep coming back for more or have to buy other things to go with what they sold someone...I just went my way because it works best for me.i don't buy anything except few nutes once in a while..

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I know..I seen..I just meant the water and waisting money because someone or a " grow store"telling you what to buy..I'm sure they will point you to the most time consuming and maintenance needed thing to get you to keep coming back for more or have to buy other things to go with what they sold someone...I just went my way because it works best for me.i don't buy anything except few nutes once in a while..

Gotcha. I agree fully. I still have big bottles of PH up and down and old calmag. Lol.

One thing they sold me was probably a good idea but prevention rules. I have a 2 year out of date package of azamax. Never had the pests. Knock on wood.

Nugg

Nugg

Gotcha. I agree fully. I still have big bottles of PH up and down and old calmag. Lol.

One thing they sold me was probably a good idea but prevention rules. I have a 2 year out of date package of azamax. Never had the pests. Knock on wood.
That's great..we all hear of ppl. Having pest problems..sounds like you have a handle on that..in the summer I leave the main door open on the grow house,still never to pest yet here either, strange because my grow house in filthy.lol..i call it the grow shed.its a 12Ă— 24 Ă— 10 with gambrel roof for the drying area up stairs

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That's great..we all hear of ppl. Having pest problems..sounds like you have a handle on that..in the summer I leave the main door open on the grow house,still never to pest yet here either, strange because my grow house in filthy.lol..i call it the grow shed.its a 12Ă— 24 Ă— 10 with gambrel roof for the drying area up stairs

Wow nice space you have. It is weird and it isnt. Marijuana pests are not from around here so inless we bring them in somehow they dont appear.

But outside we still got fruit flies and fungus gnats. And all the standard garden pests. Grasshoppers etc.

Amazing you can go in and out in the summer with no problems.

I change clothes and wash every time i enter my rooms. Im like a little kid again. I change into my pajamas.

Xan

Xan

Iirc the resin is mostly for Si (and minimal amounts of other stuff) that slips through the ro membrane, to reduce brown algae/diatoms.
So no, normally it shouldn't be beneficial. If you use something with silicate in it it won't matter but you don't need a exchange stage after ro for nutrient solution.

Btw. I think hydro with neutral media like perlite or correls is the easiest method and especially the best to learn. Total control and if one fucks up something just change out solution to a well known recipe. I don't even really care for pH anymore, set it once than let it go wherever it wants. No problems with that, with good chelates/fertilizer (f. example with eddha) everything except Boron should be available in a wide range.
Perhaps it's the 25-50ppm fulvic acid, the 10-20ppm potassium humate and the protein hydroysate I put in there that makes it work so well but that stuff is dirt cheap and a pound lasts a long time (if you don't buy scam-in-a-bottle). I put it in every solution I make, even for my houseplants.
OK cool thank you so much , I am also new to the lingo so I dont know what some of the stuff is lol.

Nugg

Nugg

Wow nice space you have. It is weird and it isnt. Marijuana pests are not from around here so inless we bring them in somehow they dont appear.

But outside we still got fruit flies and fungus gnats. And all the standard garden pests. Grasshoppers etc.

Amazing you can go in and out in the summer with no problems.

I change clothes and wash every time i enter my rooms. Im like a little kid again. I change into my pajamas.
That's funny...the old man is anal about cleaning and so on..(control). Lol he shakes his head every time he comes over..I just laugh.....I have spiders..few lady bugs around..I get flies.box elder bugs once in a while..it's all good..grow room doors pretty much stay closed.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
well hello fellow reefer. Kept a stony coral tank for years. Now my hobby is the other type of reefer now. You can loose the DI portion of your RODI and you will be just fine. :D

Reactions: Xan
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I've said it before, you are a wise Gardener man. I love reading your posts and often pick up a few things I didnt know or had forgotten. Alkalinity is a pretty big deal.

I normally just use rainwater because that's all I have for a water supply. I'm in the boonies and no well below my house. I just run full strength nutrients and rarely see deficiencies but I do add cal-mag if it looks like they need it, or sometimes just Epsom salt if it doesnt need cal, or cal nitrate.. you get the point.

I've never bothered to add alkalinity to my water because I haven't had any issues but you've brought up greenhouse source water and it reminded me about some things I had forgotten. I might experiment a bit with some chalk I have here for beer brewing on the next run.
highly alkaline water is a big deal. https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...ater-with-high-alkalinity.77509/#post-1569526

Latest posts

Top Bottom