Spectrum King Leds - Anybod Using These?

• Thread starter motherlode
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

crocodile og

Looks impressive. Heard about these on the Dude Grows YouTube channel. There is a 40 min interview with the creator and he is claiming 1000w performance with 415w of LED. If these are legit they could be the game changer LED.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Lots of big claims made by LED and CMH companies lately,maybe its the evolution of lighting or maybe its hype,lol.Heres another similar video someone posted here recently(stoned cant remember who,lol)

Last edited:
motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
interesting that dif strains had varying results - some did way better under the leds - those cookies numbers were nuts wonder why the didnt have a side by side - Im not sure I have seen anybody claim 2 lbs per for cookies

how cool would it be to one day be able to create custom spectrums for different strains

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Go to the Youtube page and read the comments. One guy keeps asking if they have the Gavita dimmed and the Spectrum Kings never answer him......which seems a bit fishy to me.

The spyder 1200 looks rad.....but that $3000 price tag per fixture is pretty insane. I'm also curious as to how many amps the fixtures use....and what kind of btu's they put off.

tags420

tags420

Spectrum kings owner is an asshat and a half and doesn't understand basics lighting and plant requirements. And is arrogant...actually it's ignorant.

Their light is average at best in it's category....which is not a 1k replacement category by any means...maybe 600 at best, if the design was better(single point spice blow...we are trying to light a whole canopy). The output numbers speak for themselves...

You can get the same fixture, with the exact same chips from 6 different Chinese manufactures...and I'm sure a few more. Alibaba it for your selfs. Or just the heatsink and reflector and put what ever you want in it. But the design is one of the biggest issues with it anyways so don't bother.

Bml used to work for illumitex. Then branched to his own company...but as you can see, the design was not left behind... after his non compete was over.
Anyways, bml uses solid Osram chips and has a nice spread. Personally their cooling is the flaw...and the newer 1000(original was the 600) is extremely hot to the touch and was hitting the 80c range when I measure it with my IR thermometer. that kind of heat isn't good for any LED performance. They even say you should add a circulation fan to direct cool the light...that part doesn't fly with me. But they are knowledgable and a better product than most lights available.

sixstring

sixstring

Spectrum kings owner is an asshat and a half and doesn't understand basics lighting and plant requirements. And is arrogant...actually it's ignorant.

Their light is average at best in it's category....which is not a 1k replacement category by any means...maybe 600 at best, if the design was better(single point spice blow...we are trying to light a whole canopy). The output numbers speak for themselves...
View attachment 497963
You can get the same fixture, with the exact same chips from 6 different Chinese manufactures...and I'm sure a few more. Alibaba it for your selfs. Or just the heatsink and reflector and put what ever you want in it. But the design is one of the biggest issues with it anyways so don't bother.

Bml used to work for illumitex. Then branched to his own company...but as you can see, the design was not left behind... after his non compete was over.
Anyways, bml uses solid Osram chips and has a nice spread. Personally their cooling is the flaw...and the newer 1000(original was the 600) is extremely hot to the touch and was hitting the 80c range when I measure it with my IR thermometer. that kind of heat isn't good for any LED performance. They even say you should add a circulation fan to direct cool the light...that part doesn't fly with me. But they are knowledgable and a better product than most lights available.
while i value the info you gave im confused.you say they are average at best but then say its a better product than most.i read somewhere that the spydr 1200 needs 1500btu of cooling,which i figure any light that is going to compete with 1000 de will need cooling.what would you recomend as a better light with a 4x4 footprint in led then?
the copy thing is good for everyone,just use gavita and nanolux as an example.if gavita was the only de out there we would still be paying 600 for one light,but i just saw both those brands for just over 400 and i bet by the end of 2015 the nano will be 100 bucks lower yet.

C

crocodile og

I had a look at the SK YouTube channel where they did a full grow off with their lights vs several others.

If I could get my hands on one a little easier (non USA) I would give one a shot and see how it performed.

tags420

tags420

while i value the info you gave im confused.you say they are average at best but then say its a better product than most.i read somewhere that the spydr 1200 needs 1500btu of cooling,which i figure any light that is going to compete with 1000 de will need cooling.what would you recomend as a better light with a 4x4 footprint in led then?
the copy thing is good for everyone,just use gavita and nanolux as an example.if gavita was the only de out there we would still be paying 600 for one light,but i just saw both those brands for just over 400 and i bet by the end of 2015 the nano will be 100 bucks lower yet.
I said SK is average at best.
Said bml was better than many others. SK being one of the many they are better than.

When it comes to btu and heat. Any watt...regardless of what light type, source, or efficiency puts out 3.41btu's/hr. All watts are converted to heat eventually...even when used by the plants. LEDs just don't putout any direct IR towards the canopy. Thatnis the only differences. 600w is 600w of heat no matter what. Just physics/thermodynamics.

What I recomend makes everyone cry because of price. But it is what works on paper and in reality.
Apache tech, area51, or make you own. I suggest and stand by nothing elses. A few newer lights coming might make the cut soon, but none have track record and I question some designs regardless of quality componets.

@crocodile og you don't have to be in the U.S. You can find the light on alibaba from at least 6 differnt companies I know of. spec for spec.

sixstring

sixstring

I said SK is average at best.
Said bml was better than many others. SK being one of the many they are better than.

When it comes to btu and heat. Any watt...regardless of what light type, source, or efficiency puts out 3.41btu's/hr. All watts are converted to heat eventually...even when used by the plants. LEDs just don't putout any direct IR towards the canopy. Thatnis the only differences. 600w is 600w of heat no matter what. Just physics/thermodynamics.

What I recomend makes everyone cry because of price. But it is what works on paper and in reality.
Apache tech, area51, or make you own. I suggest and stand by nothing elses. A few newer lights coming might make the cut soon, but none have track record and I question some designs regardless of quality componets.

@crocodile og you don't have to be in the U.S. You can find the light on alibaba from at least 6 differnt companies I know of. spec for spec.

ok thanks for the info on apache techs.but i would disagree with your theory on heat and watts.i run a bunch of t5 in veg and the watts total just shy of 2000w but that room doesnt get near as hot as a room with 3 x 600w would.now maybe its the design of the fixture but i can say 100% that my badboy 12 bulb fixture runs much cooler than a 600hps and the badboy is putting out 650w ,actually its more because their ballasts over drive the lamp a bit. but the savings should be in less watts used with l.e.d.,thats like the only thing they all lay claim to is led uses less power and needs less hvac because of this.its why i keep thinking about grabbing a led fixture so i can see if they will grow the same quality buds.but i keep seeing these side by sides and they always run sog type grows with hundreds or thousands of plants and im not gunna do that lol.i do see a few fixtures are starting to build more for penetration vs spread,and to me thats where led looks to come up short is getting into a 5 foot tall canopy like hps does.do you have any experience with blackstar led,if so where do those rate with apache tech?

tags420

tags420

ok thanks for the info on apache techs.but i would disagree with your theory on heat and watts.i run a bunch of t5 in veg and the watts total just shy of 2000w but that room doesnt get near as hot as a room with 3 x 600w would.now maybe its the design of the fixture but i can say 100% that my badboy 12 bulb fixture runs much cooler than a 600hps and the badboy is putting out 650w ,actually its more because their ballasts over drive the lamp a bit. but the savings should be in less watts used with l.e.d.,thats like the only thing they all lay claim to is led uses less power and needs less hvac because of this.its why i keep thinking about grabbing a led fixture so i can see if they will grow the same quality buds.but i keep seeing these side by sides and they always run sog type grows with hundreds or thousands of plants and im not gunna do that lol.i do see a few fixtures are starting to build more for penetration vs spread,and to me thats where led looks to come up short is getting into a 5 foot tall canopy like hps does.do you have any experience with blackstar led,if so where do those rate with apache tech?
I did not create physics or thermodynamics. They are laws of the universe. And they are true.
Hps emits direct IR which you feel and is headed at your canopy. But all the heat in the environment is still he same watt for watt.

Also bulb temps are what you are feeling...which are different. Because again...watt for watt heat is heat.

I said I stand by Apache, a51, or DIY a light. Nothing else.
Black stars are rebranded apollos from codly in China. They use very low effcieny and output chips, insufficient cooling and lower effiency drivers.
Hps are 36+% efficient...40 for DE's. Only a hand full of leds in the world can top hps.
Anything not meeting or beating hps efficenc will even put out more heat than hps.

If someone wants to get a blackstar(waste of money, time, and plants) cut the middle man out and get them straight from cidly.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Tags what about the black dogs,are they a chinese import too?It seems every led maker has to try to baffle you with bullshit and make outrageous claims to get you to pony up 5-6 times the money for their fixture vs HPS,every time someone i know buys one they end up in veg in a corner.

Top Bottom