Spider mites!!! Are these methods affective?!?! Need help plz!!!

• Thread starter critical
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
click80

click80

I sell Avid and Floramite, but if there are resistant to them then try Safari. I can help you get it.

I'm not trying to start a shitstorm I just am adding some information on the Neonicotinoids like Safari. Safari contains Dinotefuran. There is a lot of new studies out that question the original safety profiles of these products.

Available neonicotinoid insecticides include:
[edit]

There is controversy over the role of neonicotinoids in relation to pesticide toxicity to bees and imidacloprid effects on bee population. Neonicotinoid use has been strictly limited in France since the 1990s, when neonicotinoids were implicated in a mass die-off of the bee population. It is believed by some to account for worker bees' neglecting to provide food for eggs and larvae, and for a breakdown of the bees' navigational abilities, possibly leading to what has become generally known as colony collapse disorder.[16][17] Imidacloprid was also temporarily banned in Slovenia in 2003 due to colony collapse disorder, but its use was later allowed.
Independent studies show that while the photodegradation half-life time of most neonicotinoids is around 34 days when exposed to sunlight, it might take up to 1386 days for these compounds to degrade in the absence of sunlight and microorganism activity. Some activists are concerned that neonicotinoids applied agriculturally might accumulate in aquifers

Kristine Keithley

Kristine Keithley

I was wrong about Safari killing mites, it is insecticide not a miticide. Aphids it would work on. Give me a moment to research the next thing to not being able to use the two most commercially used products.

click80

click80

One of the best websites I have found for comprehensive pest information for everyone from home growers, greenhouse, and farmer.

click80

click80

Here is another UConn link. I don't know how dated it is, I am fairly certain they update it as needed.

Spider Mites –
What’s Working?

Contact miticides

Floramite

Horticultural Oils

Akari, Sanmite, Shuttle

Ovation, Hexygon(low #)

Translaminarmiticides

Pylon (G)

Judo (plant safety)

TetraSan–mite growth
regulator

Avid ?

Rotate !

Biological controls
TSSM

Predatory mites

Phytoseiuluspersimilis

Neoseiuluscalifornicus

Amblyseiusfallacis

Predatory midges

Feltiellaacarisuga

Good for hanging basketsP. persimilis

Kristine Keithley

Kristine Keithley

FYI. Floramite does work great on spider mites however, it stays in the plant for up to 45 days.
My personal choice is Avid. It works on mites and aphids too unlike the Floramite. It is out of your plants rather quickly, plus it is cheaper.

Kristine Keithley

Kristine Keithley

An average of 1/4 tsp. per gallon.
I sell 1 oz. bottles of Avid and Floramite, but right now I'm out of Floramite. Personally as a horticulturist I prefer Avid. It does not last as long in the plant and it can be used for aphids as well.

incognito

incognito

My Spider Mite protocol:

Buy a Bissell Carpet Cleaner. Clean any carpeting inside your grow area and all avenues of approach.

Spray weekly with Einstein's Neem Oil mixed with a few drops of organic dish soap to emulsify the Neem oil. Makes spraying easier. Also, makes leaves look great.

If plants are in veg and a mite outbreak occurs, even while being treated weekly with Neem, its time to break out the Flouromite. I will only use Flouromite in veg. Yes, not organic. However, I will not loose a veg plant to mites. Flouromite has several other agricultural uses. I bet you eat something from your grocery store that has been treated with Flouromite. Actually, I know you do. Check out citrus fruit care. Add a few drops of organic dish soap to your Flouromite for better looking leaves.

To prevent spider mite outbreaks during bloom, I turn to mother nature. I release ladybugs into my grow room. May sound crazy, but it works! Ladybugs will die off over time. To help sustain them through the bloom, soak raisins in water for five minutes and drain. Cut raisins in half and place on a paper plate with a wet sponge in your grow area. Keep raisins and sponge moist. Refresh raisins at feeding time. This will provide your ladybugs with additional protein and water, just in case they can't find enough mites to eat :)

incognito

incognito

I can't get over the smell of Azamax. I have used it as a root drench/dip with success. It does what it says on the label. Avid is my backup spray. I find it to be as effective for killing spider mites, but It does not destroy the eggs. A follow-up treatment may be necessary.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I know I don't belong in this thread at all...but most of the things you guys are talking about are poisons. If you have mites in your flower, i'm sorry. I really am. use a paintbrush, or even a shotvac (yes it works), just don't spray any pesticides on the plants. If you're cool with spraying poison on something that is going to be consumed in less than 90 days then go for it, but make sure every person who tries your herb in the future knows you did so.

The best preventative for spider mites is to get ANYTHING that is cloth fiber out of your immediate grow area. That means any chairs, carpet, cushions, towels, old sweaters...etc. If you're in a house, rent a steam machine and get to work. Mites will hide and lay their eggs in fibers just as readily as in plant tissue. Keep your floors and tables swept, don't let people into your grow in clothes from the outside (better yet let no one in at all), and wear a hat/beanie to cover your hair. Make sure none of your plants are touching any surface that could make an insect bridge, and similarly make your tables as unaccessible to bugs as possible. I run an ozonator between cycles for a whole night in the room, and also burn sulfur in veg and through week 4 in flower as my main preventative, along with cap's (biowar's) foliar pack. I do not use any pesticides whatsoever, and only have occasional problems with root aphids.

and if you're going to use chemical sprays, don't just spray your plants. spray your soil (soak the first inch or so), spray your floors, spray your walls. spray any cracks between the floors and walls. spray the cords that attach to your lights, spray your trellis and stakes, spray under your tables. spray the bottom of your shoes. if you want to kill them, make it a holocaust. But just know - the best preventative is awareness and cleanliness. I feel way better about cleaning and maintaining my grow space and equipment then i do about spraying something on my plants that could wind up harming me and my friends.

incognito

incognito

Your pets will bring home spider mites. A fly will bring in spider mites as well. Spider mites are everywhere. You have to guard against everything. But, what if? In the unfortunate event that a spider mite outbreak occurs, because all of your other steps to control/prevent them have failed, use Neem. It is a topical treatment. Does not become systemic. I would rather use a little Neem versus the alternative of having no plants ready for cloning/blooming. This leads to the horrible condition of having no bud!

Flouromite is systemic. You must give the plant time to flush out the flouromite. Some agricultural uses of Flouromite include treatments three days prior to harvest and shipment to processing plants. However, that does not indicate safe treatment for flowering cannabis, or cannabis in general. Use it only as a LAST RESORT during VEG ONLY. I concur with "We Solidarity" on the 90 day quaranteen. Just to be safe ;)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Plant essential oils and isopropyl alcohol are safe to use up until the day of harvest. I would not use strongly scented PEOs too close to harvest simply because I wouldn't want them affecting the nose too strongly.

Standard QT protocol in zoos and aquariums is 30 days observed disease free in QT holding. 90 days seems like it could be a bit of overkill, but better that than the alternatives.

Also, don't forget how effective simply changing parameters can be. My only indoor bout with spider mites came about a few years ago, my son had come to visit me from SoCal and brought his resistant mites with him. They got into my veg box, but not my flowering room and I couldn't figure out why until I learned a few things. Such as they HATE high humidity, almost as much as they hate cold temps.

I can't recommend trying to flower in those conditions, it doesn't turn out well, but at least the spider mites never got a chance to gain a foothold. That was also due in part to me keeping only one handling 'direction.' I always handle the most valuable, or those that I'm least able to treat should something go wrong, plants first, then work my way down and back. So flowering plants are always touched first, then the vegging, then vegetables, then landscape plants. (Because I interact with my whole world, not just part of it.)

incognito

incognito

That was also due in part to me keeping only one handling 'direction.' I always handle the most valuable, or those that I'm least able to treat should something go wrong, plants first, then work my way down and back. So flowering plants are always touched first, then the vegging, then vegetables, then landscape plants.

I feel like Duh? It is the little things that I often miss. Right on "Seamaiden". Love it! I am definitely adding this to my routine.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
We can thank that really weird veterinarian at the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific for teaching me that. He was anal about their penguins, I tell you what! Those had to be done first, before I handled anything else.

That dude had NO sense of humor. You should have seen the look on his face when I suggested he pull my finger once.

chromedoggy

chromedoggy

Just applied $550 worth of N. Fallacis this morning...we'll see what happens.

chromedoggy

chromedoggy

40,000 new killer bugs are ransacking the garage. godsend. 4 weeks to go, we'll see if they win the borg fight. Pretty cool to go out with a magnifying glass and watch. Makes me itch just looking at 'em.

chromedoggy

chromedoggy

I was told to wait a week and I don't think I can...the borg are taking over...

Top Bottom