Split Plants Stems For Extra Resin Production

• Thread starter nikson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Daikokuten

Daikokuten

There may be truth to physical damage causing plant reactions. I imagine it would be more akin to pulling off leaves or shoots, mimicking herbivore or insect damage though. I highly doubt fucking your stem at its base does anything noticeable other than just repairing it. Nobody who claims these things is ever showing a plain side by side of the same cut and genetic changes can be so small in some ways that same strain is not even half good enough. When i was doing my regular testing with real side by sides i couldn't get physical damage to affect buds in any way other than the physical damage, period. I didn't test, and won't test, stabbing a plant at its base because it doesn't make any sense and ive already tested piercing and obstructing stems and shoots and it does nothing but make it heal around it. People have been cultivating this plant for years. If you think something even a caveman might test is going to improve your bud quality, you need to rethink your approach to cannabis and plants as a whole. Two buds next to each other on the same plant can have two completely different lives based on so many things. It's not a valid way to test either. Just my opinion though, do you. I will respectfully watch any testing because i believe there's value in anything done with learning in mind.

Madbud

Madbud

There may be truth to physical damage causing plant reactions. I imagine it would be more akin to pulling off leaves or shoots, mimicking herbivore or insect damage though. I highly doubt fucking your stem at its base does anything noticeable other than just repairing it. Nobody who claims these things is ever showing a plain side by side of the same cut and genetic changes can be so small in some ways that same strain is not even half good enough. When i was doing my regular testing with real side by sides i couldn't get physical damage to affect buds in any way other than the physical damage, period. I didn't test, and won't test, stabbing a plant at its base because it doesn't make any sense and ive already tested piercing and obstructing stems and shoots and it does nothing but make it heal around it. People have been cultivating this plant for years. If you think something even a caveman might test is going to improve your bud quality, you need to rethink your approach to cannabis and plants as a whole. Two buds next to each other on the same plant can have two completely different lives based on so many things. It's not a valid way to test either. Just my opinion though, do you.
From what i read, its been around a long time. Probably started with bullet holes in Columbia.

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

From what i read, its been around a long time. Probably started with bullet holes in Columbia.
For sure. It probably goes back even to discovery of the plant. I'm sure there are half trampled, split, or maybe even pierced stems just from animals and elements. I'm sure early cultivators tested shit, probably everything from praying to burning certain parts and everything between. Stabbing your cannabis plants at the end of their life is a good way to invite problems and pests to your harvest. I could see this ending in bud rot ridiculously easily.

Madbud

Madbud

For sure. It probably goes back even to discovery of the plant. I'm sure there are half trampled, split, or maybe even pierced stems just from animals and elements. I'm sure early cultivators tested shit, probably everything from praying to burning certain parts and everything between. Stabbing your cannabis plants at the end of their life is a good way to invite problems and pests to your harvest. I could see this ending in bud rot ridiculously easily.
Probably not as much as supercropping buds. I just went through a round of budrot/mold on a very bushy girl that i am nearly sure was “wounded” by gently bending the bud stems away from the main stalk. Thats where the mold started anyway. Grow and learn.

Daikokuten

Daikokuten

Probably not as much as supercropping buds. I just went through a round of budrot/mold on a very bushy girl that i am nearly sure was “wounded” by gently bending the bud stems away from the main stalk. Thats where the mold started anyway. Grow and learn.
Could have. Ive seen damage, like a bud dropping and breaking off/the stem, and starving too long for harvest flush cause bud rot consistently and quickly for many years.

MissBotany

MissBotany

There may be truth to physical damage causing plant reactions. I imagine it would be more akin to pulling off leaves or shoots, mimicking herbivore or insect damage though. I highly doubt fucking your stem at its base does anything noticeable other than just repairing it. Nobody who claims these things is ever showing a plain side by side of the same cut and genetic changes can be so small in some ways that same strain is not even half good enough. When i was doing my regular testing with real side by sides i couldn't get physical damage to affect buds in any way other than the physical damage, period. I didn't test, and won't test, stabbing a plant at its base because it doesn't make any sense and ive already tested piercing and obstructing stems and shoots and it does nothing but make it heal around it. People have been cultivating this plant for years. If you think something even a caveman might test is going to improve your bud quality, you need to rethink your approach to cannabis and plants as a whole. Two buds next to each other on the same plant can have two completely different lives based on so many things. It's not a valid way to test either. Just my opinion though, do you. I will respectfully watch any testing because i believe there's value in anything done with learning in mind.
The Chinese have been stem splitting for centuries. You are right, would need same cut, side by side, and trichome evaluation.

DismalDude

DismalDude

Back in the late 70's I knew a guy that grew outdoor in MI.He would drive large nails through the bottom of the stalks on each plant and yes it split them pretty good.He did this about 2 weeks from harvest.I didn't know anything about cannabis except how to smoke it but he swore it made them more potent.

Organikz

Organikz

Sounds like bro science. What the brain wants to believe becomes reality. The problem is that a damaged plant is a weakened plant. Here's where disease and pests move in because well that's their job. They're the garbage collectors.

rootexcess

rootexcess

Sounds like bro science. What the brain wants to believe becomes reality. The problem is that a damaged plant is a weakened plant. Here's where disease and pests move in because well that's their job. They're the garbage collectors.
Pretty much. There is a reason a vast majority of large scale growers don't do things like this. It's the fun rehashed "experiments" (I quote experiment simply because people have been trying stuff like this for so long, yet there is no quantifiable evidence to it's alleged benefits). In reality, a better method of this is introducing an SAR or ISR in which the plant has a chemical response to a (non-existent) threat, rather than physically harming the plant, which has a higher chance of complications with pest/pathogens than any potential theorized benefit.

Organikz

Organikz

Pretty much. There is a reason a vast majority of large scale growers don't do things like this. It's the fun rehashed "experiments" (I quote experiment simply because people have been trying stuff like this for so long, yet there is no quantifiable evidence to it's alleged benefits). In reality, a better method of this is introducing an SAR or ISR in which the plant has a chemical response to a (non-existent) threat, rather than physically harming the plant, which has a higher chance of complications with pest/pathogens than any potential theorized benefit.
Precisely, insect frass is the best means of tricking a plant into thinking it's under attack and activating secondary SARs. Kelp meal, alfalfa, and aloe are also loaded with cytokinins that trick the plant into producing mass amounts of auxins.

Madbud

Madbud

Precisely, insect frass is the best means of tricking a plant into thinking it's under attack and activating secondary SARs. Kelp meal, alfalfa, and aloe are also loaded with cytokinins that trick the plant into producing mass amounts of auxins.
Gotta love you guys, theres half a dozen anecdotes of damaged plants being superior in this thread alone. How do you know what big growers do? Topping, fimming, manifolding, supercropping all damage the plant. I knew a guy who stepped on his plants to keep them low to the ground and it produced good results, basically early supercropping. I dont know what the effects will be but bugs and disease are not a threat at this point.

Organikz

Organikz

Gotta love you guys, theres half a dozen anecdotes of damaged plants being superior in this thread alone. How do you know what big growers do? Topping, fimming, manifolding, supercropping all damage the plant. I knew a guy who stepped on his plants to keep them low to the ground and it produced good results, basically early supercropping. I dont know what the effects will be but bugs and disease are not a threat at this point.
It's all good. Go stomp your plants if that's what you want to do. I'm just telling you about some other options.

rootexcess

rootexcess

Disease is always a threat, my friend. I’ve watched crops take a turn for the worse within 72 hours. And anecdotal was exactly the point, it’s not at all quantifiable. I’m an evidence based grower, I analyze data and outcomes, not subjective perceptions. As far as the big growers, well, I manage 8 greenhouses and have been in the industry for quite a while now. I have many friends in the industry working for other large scale cultivators and they aren’t using these basement tricks.

rootexcess

rootexcess

I realize it sounds harsh as I read my comment again, and I'm not trying to be rude. I've tried just about all of these tricks and I've grown thousands upon thousands of cannabis plants. I still continue my education and expand my knowledge base as best I can. I'm open minded; show me some lab results that demonstrate more benefit than standard introduction of SAR/ISR and maybe I'd be convinced.

Madbud

Madbud

And there’s the big dick. You’re one single grower, experienced but one grower with eight greenhouses. Thanks for your opinion.

rootexcess

rootexcess

And there’s the big dick. You’re one single grower, experienced but one grower with eight greenhouses. Thanks for your opinion.
I don't play upon ego. That's never my intention. I stay humble as best I can and I always know there is more to learn. For that same reason I hate the term "master grower", because it defies the idea that we are all students that should continue to learn and be open to new ideas. I hope nothing but the best for all growers and I help when and where I can. In all fairness, you are the one who asked how I would know what the big growers do and I responded truthfully about my experience, both firsthand and throughout my network of colleagues. It's definitely true that plants can respond to threat with a response that may improve and increase both resin production and yield, however, physically damaging a plant isn't likely the best option (hence why I mentioned SAR/ISR) and it can actually cause stunting depending on the severity of the damage.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
68 green houses, 210k plants per cycle.
Lemme in with a secret. Large scale growers don’t mess with plants period, why? Qty, if we grow that many, don’t need to fuss with tricks, saying that, I’ll put in my personal input;
Plucking leaves works; we do it.
Stem splitting , mixed, we have had anecdotal evidence based on lab results, but honestly the difference between normal vs split stem was about .5%.
Fim works, topping works, super cropping works, quality is better.
Qty wise, monster cropping has the best results scrogged.
So there is results even in bro science that works, for the average home grower, hey why not try something to get more yields?
I won’t knock any technique unless I’ve tried it.
Stem splitting verdict?; 50-50 shot , I’d say why not. If I was growing say 5-6 plants. I’d do it. But know The risks. If you are in a humid climate I’d avoid any tissue damage as it’s easy to introduce bad bugs in. Dryer climate, indoor, id go for it.
To each their own, i really do hate it when we in fight, hey y’all, we all have one passion? That’s to make the damn best weed we can, let’s focus and help each other with that instead of whipping out your peter and start that monkey shit tossing.
Cheers

Madbud

Madbud

...And don’t think for a minute there isn’t some sick sonofabitch sitting in his basement with a plant and a blowtorch pushing an immune response lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom