Spring tails in Coco

• Thread starter HookedonPonics
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Whats up guys, just found some springtails under my pots of coco, minimal numbers nothing crazy. I know these lil guys eat decaying material and love moist areas. Alot of people say their beneficial, alot of people say they do harm. Personally I feel their beneficial especially since they eat decaying or dead material in the rhizosphere and secrete nitrogen also. But my question is it possible for their population to get large enough to secrete enough nitrogen to cause problems in flower? Should I keep an eye on how much their reproducing? As of now I see probably 20 to 30 of them under each pot.

sixstring

sixstring

I been seeing them ever since I started using great white (orca).I almost think they are in that stuff, plants seem happy though.and caps bennies didnt seem to harm them at all.but now I'm wondering if they came with the coco I use? House n garden brand

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Beneficial bacteria and fungus def attracts them, its their main food source. Ive never had them until I started using caps bennies. Ive also heard they help re distribute mycrozae from plant to plant or around your rootbase. Would make since why you started getting them with GW also. I also read they eat parts of your coco that have begun to decay and decompose for us guys who recycle their medium.

TokinWhiteGuy

TokinWhiteGuy

Large numbers of springtails should not cause some crazy nitrogen problem. If its something that you are really worried about, try using Azamax via hand watering. H2O2 would work as well but you would be killing your beneficial bacteria in the process.

Coir

Coir

I saw the most with Canna. Still not a real problem though. I always add hypoaspis to my coir at planting and that keeps the numbers down as well as the fungus gnats which are the big reason for adding the mites. I also just added some extra Atheta coriaria or Rove beetles that I had yesterday to see how well they work. I'll post the results once I see how they do. I have had great luck with them in the greenhouse for fungus gnats, shore flies, and thrip larvae.

QLTYlab

QLTYlab

got some through a bag coco, freaked out at first seeing moving things in the coco but haven't seen any damage. I had a few that seemed way more covered so when I transplanted, I rinsed the rootball by pouring water over it and it washed out soooo many. Haven't seen many since then.

neverbreak

neverbreak

i wouldn't worry bro. never had an issue with 'em nor seen anyone have one. i consider them beneficial n a sign of a healthy soil ecosystem.

neverbreak

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I been seeing them ever since I started using great white (orca).I almost think they are in that stuff, plants seem happy though.and caps bennies didnt seem to harm them at all.but now I'm wondering if they came with the coco I use? House n garden brand
See I thought they either came in the EWC or caps beenies...
but I got them too!

Goodolboy

Goodolboy

This is the reason I stopped using H and g coco the springtails didn't seem to hurt anything but I'd rather be safe so I switched back to canna and no more s tails.

Top Bottom