Starting Over And Want To Listen

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

Just picked up 5 inch clones with 2 inch rockwool cubes. Transplanting into rdwc and wondering what my feeding schedule should be until the roots pop out of the basket? I'll be using a feed solution of 300 PPM which is the exact same as the nursery I pick them up from in Petaluma.

Since I won't be able to see check or feel the rockwool cube itself I will need a per day and per week schedule for hand-feeding. The nursery I just pick them up from feeds there's every 3 to 4 days but that's in a cloning environment which they will no longer be in. When I hand-fed clones before in my grow room they would be dry completely dry within 24 hours.

DGP

DGP

In past grows I would keep the water high enough to wick up and wet the Rockwood and then lower the water level after roots sprout out of the net pot. I would be careful not to make it so high as to drown em or cause stem rot but just barely high enough to wick into the rockwool or rooting plugs. Then I would lower the water level to a more typical level after they poke out. What I do now is pump water to top feeder rings until they can gather their water on their own from longer roots.

Will be interesting to read what others do as well.

Bet wishes,

Dee

S

Shawnery

I was going to set up a dripper this time but it was difficult with my set up. Last time I had the water up to the cup the plants appeared to be drowning. This time I was just going to top feed by hand. It's very possible there were other issues but it scared me off.

Thanks.
How often do you have your dripper dripping and how long did it take for the roots to sprout?

DGP

DGP

Drippers go constanly, return lines at the bottom of the buckets go back to the res. Roots came out the bottoms in about 7-10 days or so.

Based on the nature of rockwool and how it keeps the moisture at a very constant level, I would guess you could water 2X a day and probably be fine.

Dee

S

Shawnery

Interesting, did they appear to be drowning at first or completely normal? I did the same as you on my first grow, this is my second and a half, but had a terrible time getting them to root.

Thanks for taking the time!

I was considering to water once in the morning around 7am and then again at 7pm. That would come out to about 3 hours after lights out and 3 hours before lights out.

I'm running just info,
300ppm-same as nursery they came from
PH 5.5-6.0 there's a slight swing
75 temp day and night
75%humidity day and night
65-68 water temp day and night

DGP

DGP

Didn't have any trouble with them drowning. However, strains vary a lot so my experience might not apply. When you say terrible time getting them to root do you mean as cuttings or do you mean for them to grow more roots and make it out the net pots bottoms?

Dee

DGP

DGP

Just for reference here are some photos. You can see roots popping out the sides of the root plugs. BTW I use both rapid rooter and rockwool and had about the same success either way. The one without the dripper is just out of the clone tray 3 days and doesn't look to be drowning. In hundreds of clones I have not had stem rot once they initially rooted.
D1
D2
D3

BooUnlimited

BooUnlimited

Just picked up 5 inch clones with 2 inch rockwool cubes. Transplanting into rdwc and wondering what my feeding schedule should be until the roots pop out of the basket? I'll be using a feed solution of 300 PPM which is the exact same as the nursery I pick them up from in Petaluma.

Since I won't be able to see check or feel the rockwool cube itself I will need a per day and per week schedule for hand-feeding. The nursery I just pick them up from feeds there's every 3 to 4 days but that's in a cloning environment which they will no longer be in. When I hand-fed clones before in my grow room they would be dry completely dry within 24 hours.
Hi I'm new here how do you

Hi im new here can you help me make a new post

Top Bottom