Stem Rot Or?? Help Please! My Girl Is Dying!

• Thread starter Aretina
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Aretina

I discovered she was drooping as if she hadn’t been watered... after a bit of research, I thought the problem was root rot. I gave her mycos, labs (em1), even kefir for probiotics and nothing. I used a paintbrush and put the concoction on her stem coz I discovered a black spot on it... still nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Stem rot or help please my girl is dying
Stem rot or help please my girl is dying 2
Stem rot or help please my girl is dying 3
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Looks over watered to me. Should include a lot more info if you can. Soil type, watering schedule, nutes, changes in practices etc. the more the better.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Knowing what caused it to prevent it from happening again. I'm thinking it was over watered and the soil media helped contribute.

A

Aretina

Looks over watered to me. Should include a lot more info if you can. Soil type, watering schedule, nutes, changes in practices etc. the more the better.
Hi Aqua Man! The soil I made myself: compost, perlite, seabird guano, pete moss, earthworm castings, And I can’t remember what other stuff I added... I give them nutes once a week – Kellogg organic plus for tomato vegetable and herb which contains beneficial soil microbes and mycorrhizae. My other girls are over 6 feet tall, A couple are over 8 feet and about as wide as a car LOL and loving life. This one was the only one this happened to.:(
I have them all in hoop houses to protect them from bugs. When it gets over 90°, I give them shade by putting a thin light sheet over the hoop house. The hoop house is encased in netting like you find on your screen door. If you have any other questions or if I missed anything, please let me know.

A

Aretina

Hi Aqua Man! The soil I made myself: compost, perlite, seabird guano, pete moss, earthworm castings, And I can’t remember what other stuff I added... I give them nutes once a week – Kellogg organic plus for tomato vegetable and herb which contains beneficial soil microbes and mycorrhizae. My other girls are over 6 feet tall, A couple are over 8 feet and about as wide as a car LOL and loving life. This one was the only one this happened to.:(
I have them all in hoop houses to protect them from bugs. When it gets over 90°, I give them shade by putting a thin light sheet over the hoop house. The hoop house is encased in netting like you find on your screen door. If you have any other questions or if I missed anything, please let me know.
Oh yeah, I have not changed anything since they were tiny seedlings.

A

Aretina

I was waiting for them to start flowering and then I was going to change the nutrients to a flowering one.

A

Aretina

Knowing what caused it to prevent it from happening again. I'm thinking it was over watered and the soil media helped contribute.
Great minds think a like LOL! Thank you so much! Yes, we use information and our past mistakes to learn. Imagine that!

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

My soil was completely wet when I found them in this condition, which happened overnight, so I'm sure you weren't overwatered.

A

Aretina

My soil was completely wet when I found them in this condition, which happened overnight, so I'm sure you weren't overwatered.
I have a feeling it’s stem rot. If you look at the picture of the stem, it’s quite black at the very bottom. It looks to me like the plant cannot take anything up, no nutrients, no water and it’s just starving to death. It seems like there’s a blockage in the stem. And the blockage I believe is fungus. I tried to give her Beneficial bacteria and fungi, but nothing. I think it’s too far gone at this point unfortunately…

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Could be a lot of things and I'm not the best person to diagnose this. It looks to me like possibly a root oxygen problem and was thinking possibly over watering and dense soil. Can be caused by several things like nutrient build up/lockout in which case a soil flush would help or compact medium in which some aeration may help. I was just stating what it looks like to me. But someone like G gnome could probably get to the root cause much more accurately than myself. Its in very rough shape so I'm not sure at this point if anything would help and I don't want to say do this or that because often times ppl do to many things at once that cause more problems then help. Your best bet is to try and figure the root cause of this and go from there. I was just stating if you provided more info it would makes it easier for others to help you.

MissBotany

MissBotany

The soil was probably not drying out enough between waterings and if it stays hot and moist then that’s the prefect environment for fungi. Can you cut a stem off and see what color the inside is?

A

Aretina

The soil was probably not drying out enough between waterings and if it stays hot and moist then that’s the prefect environment for fungi. Can you cut a stem off and see what color the inside is?
You’re more than likely right. Why would that happen? Too much Pete moss in the soil?? I just cut a branch and the inside was white. When you said stem, did you mean the main thick one?

MissBotany

MissBotany

You’re more than likely right. Why would that happen? Too much Pete moss in the soil?? I just cut a branch and the inside was white. When you said stem, did you mean the main thick one?

Any branch will do. Just ruling out fusarium. That will turn the inside of your stems brownish red. It’s probably root rot. Sometimes it’s the not having enough drainage or the plant doesn’t take that much water or a combination of both. Fungus like that just sits dormant and waits until the environment is ideal...warm, wet, humid, poor circulation.

A

Aretina

Any branch will do. Just ruling out fusarium. That will turn the inside of your stems brownish red. It’s probably root rot. Sometimes it’s the not having enough drainage or the plant doesn’t take that much water or a combination of both. Fungus like that just sits dormant and waits until the environment is ideal...warm, wet, humid, poor circulation.
Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Top Bottom