Strange Spots On Leaves [sos]

• Thread starter leo1991
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
leo1991

leo1991

Hello everyone! Can someone tell me what's wrong with the leaves on my plant? I noticed 3 days ago some spots on them and I thought it was heat stress but it seems that's not. What about calcium deficiency? I keep ph slightly acidic. Photos attached.

Strange spots on leaves sos
Strange spots on leaves sos 2
Strange spots on leaves sos 3
F

fenderguitar

could be calcium deficiency. try giving the plant some fertilizer and see what happens.

Seraphine

Seraphine

What your pH exactly? What medium are you growing in? Looks like an issue with your pH...

leo1991

leo1991

What your pH exactly? What medium are you growing in? Looks like an issue with your pH...
I use biobizz light mix and my Ph is around 6 to 6.5. I read that 6.2 and above is the best absorption of calcium but I watered 90% of the time with Ph 6 to 6.3. The last time I watered with 6.5 or 6.6 Ph and that's what happened..

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Could also possibly be the beginning stage of potassium (K) deficiency. Flush with bone meal. Then up your K in your feed schedule. Bone meal will help your lady absorb K. I use this for bone meal flushing.
F3E03D96 972F 496B BEAB CDAB27415E2D

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
hmmmm......

How exactly does P and Ca help absorb K? P and Ca are cations, and P is an anion..... right?

By the looks of it, you need Ca. If your ph in the soil is 6.0-6.5 like you say, I would throw some fine gypsum on it and see how she reacts. 1 cup gypsum per yard of soil to start out with. That would be my advice.

Not sure how you did it, but every picture doesn't show stem color. If your stems are purple, then you are lacking P as well. If your stems are nice and green, your P is on point. Good luck.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Also, what is your Mn levels like? Those brown spots can also be a Mn deficiency.

leo1991

leo1991

hmmmm......

How exactly does P and Ca help absorb K? P and Ca are cations, and P is an anion..... right?

By the looks of it, you need Ca. If your ph in the soil is 6.0-6.5 like you say, I would throw some fine gypsum on it and see how she reacts. 1 cup gypsum per yard of soil to start out with. That would be my advice.

Not sure how you did it, but every picture doesn't show stem color. If your stems are purple, then you are lacking P as well. If your stems are nice and green, your P is on point. Good luck.
my stems are really decent. My tap water is 7,6 and I use Ph down till I hit low 6. Should I just water with a Ph like 6,7-6.9? I really think the calcium is the problem cause I used 6 Ph most of the time..

leo1991

leo1991

Also, what is your Mn levels like? Those brown spots can also be a Mn deficiency.
well I thought about this too,because it has quite common symptoms. How can I check
what my mn levels are? I am a new grower keep that in mind brother.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Ca is very available in soil from a ph of 6.2-6.8. IME, Ca is always short in peoples soil unless they pay special attention to it. What have you been doing to make sure Ca levels are up? What have you added since planting? If the answer is not much, or cal mag, then Ca is the problem imo.

leo1991

leo1991

Ok
Ca is very available in soil from a ph of 6.2-6.8. IME, Ca is always short in peoples soil unless they pay special attention to it. What have you been doing to make sure Ca levels are up? What have you added since planting? If the answer is not much, or cal mag, then Ca is the problem imo.
ok so, my plants is an autoflower and she is 4 weeks old. I used only water for the first 3 weeks and from then I have added only once biobizz series and silicon. That's all. Ah and the strain is royal auto ak from rq seeds

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
What is Bone Meal?
Bone meal is commonly found in garden stores as a finely ground powder with a consistency similar to baking flour. Most vegetable plants will benefit from an annual application.

Bone meal is a slow-release form of phosphorus (P) that may be expressed as phosphate or phosphorus. Phosphorus as a percentage is 2.3 times higher than numbers shown for phosphate, so 10 per cent phosphate is the same as 23 per cent phosphorus.

Bone meal is sold in different forms, ranging from coarse to fine grades. The most commonly found form in most garden stores is a finely ground powder with a consistency similar to baking flour.

Email Newsletter
Join thousands of other growers who are already receiving our monthly newsletter.

How do you use Bone Meal on Plants?
Bone meal can be incorporated into soils at a rate of 10 pounds per 100 square feet of garden. Most vegetable plants will benefit from an annual application of bone meal, but it is particularly beneficial for root crops, including carrots, onions, radishes, parsnips and turnips. Flowers grown from bulbs, corms and tubers will also benefit from an application of bone meal.

The calcium infusion from bone meal helps plants develop strong and healthy cells and seeds. It also strengthens the stems and aids in the development of new shoots in perennial crops and shrubs. The calcium in bone meal can also help prevent common problems in vegetables such as blossom-end rot in crops like tomatoes, eggplants and peppers.

Bone meal can be used as one part of a balanced organic fertilizer program for bulbs, roses and other plants that benefit from a slow-release form of phosphorus. It can feed plants for up to four months. Although it does not offer a high amount of either, bone meal also has trace amounts of nitrogen and potassium.

Here’s when to add bone meal to the garden—and when not to.

Bone Meal for Phosphorus
All plants need phosphorus, which bone meal supplies, especially when developing roots. It is one of the three essential macronutrients, along with nitrogen and potassium. Adequate amounts of phosphorus in the soil are essential for optimal crop yields.

In addition to root development, it enables plants to store and transfer energy, and develop flowers and fruit. Maximum phosphorus availability occurs between pH levels of 6 and 7.

A phosphorus deficiency may present itself on the plant as stunted growth, and weak or spindly stems. Phosphorus-deficient leaf symptoms include dark leaf veins while the rest of the leaf fades to hues ranging from yellow, purple or blue-green. Flowers may be underdeveloped, appear late, or not at all.

Other organic or natural sources of phosphorus besides bone meal include rock phosphate and manure from herbivores.

Bone Meal for Calcium
Calcium is a naturally occurring secondary nutrient needed by crops for plant growth. Plants use calcium from bone meal and other sources to produce cell walls and root ends. Calcium deficiency shows itself in the roots, leaves and fruits of plants, although it may be hard to detect if it is only affecting the roots.

In leaves, the young leaves are affected first and will appear slightly deformed. Severe calcium deficiency will kill growth tips and stop leaf production entirely. Roots become stunted and short, and are not vigorous enough to penetrate through the soil.

Calcium-deficient fruit may develop blossom-end rot, which causes the blossom end of the fruit to become dark, leathery feeling and looking, and eventually rotten. Affected fruit will stop growing and drop off the plant.

For nitrogen-fixing legumes, calcium deficiency will appear as pod rot, and the plants will not fix nitrogen as efficiently as those that are well supplied with the mineral.

Certain regions in the United States are more prone to calcium deficiency than others. In the Northwestern and Eastern states, calcium is readily leeched out of the soils from rainfall and irrigation.

The precipitation soaks into the ground and pushes the calcium from the upper layers of the topsoil downward. Other regions with large compliments of limestone, gypsum or apatite are usually high in calcium. Coastal states with coral or marine shells in the soil tend to be rich in calcium as well, particularly calcium carbonate.

Other organic and natural sources of calcium include eggshells, gypsum and lime, although lime should not be used on soils that have a pH higher than 7. Adding too much calcium to your soil can raise pH levels, making soil more alkaline.

Many food crops can be harmed by additives that raise the pH too high. If you need to add calcium and also raise the pH, limestone should be considered instead of bone meal. If you need to add calcium, do not need the phosphorus boost of the bone meal, and do not wish to raise your soil pH, gypsum (calcium sulfate) should be used.

Precautions When Adding Bone Meal to Your Garden
As useful as bone meal is, it may not be a panacea for phosphorus-starved soils or plants. Recent research from Colorado State University suggests phosphorus from bone meal is only available to plants in soils that have a pH below 7.

For alkaline soils, research shows it is best to use composted or vermicomposted manure as a source of phosphorus. Soils with a pH level of 7.5 and above often have high calcium concentrations that tie up phosphorus as calcium-phosphate. Calcium phosphate is an insoluble compound not available to plants.

Over-application of bone meal can have negative effects on plants and the surrounding environment. Most soils contain some quantity of natural phosphorus, except for soils that have been farmed for several successive years.

Too much phosphorus will continue to promote root growth, but in excess, it interferes with the roots’ relationships with mycorrhizal fungi. Without the mycorrhizal fungi, the roots have a more difficult time developing and using the nutrients that surround it.

Phosphorus runoff, though much more prevalent with synthetically produced phosphorus than the form found in bone meal, can hasten the eutrophication of nearby waterways. Eutrophication is the emergence of undesirable algae and underwater weeds that grow as the result of the increased nutrient supply.

As the biota die and decompose, bacteria consume dissolved oxygen, resulting in oxygen shortages in the water bodies. It is important both economically and environmentally to apply only the amount of phosphorus required for your specific crop or soil.

When applied as a top-dressing, bone meal can attract dogs, raccoons, coyotes and other carnivorous and omnivorous animals. It should be well incorporated into the soil by tilling, raking or spading, and then watered in to leave as little on the surface as possible to avoid damage to your garden by scavenging animals.

Latest posts

Top Bottom