Super Soils And Root Developement

• Thread starter AudioLog
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

AudioLog

I have a friend, that with out a doubt, is an old school grower from another era. We were discussing soil, super soils, plant nutrition etc. when he asked me if I had ever seen the size of the rootball when flowers are grown in super soils.
His theory is this, with everything available to the plant, as in the case of a super soil, the plant ( roots ) do not need to work as hard to search for their food, therefore causing plants grown in super soils to develop smaller root zones compared to other methods.
Although an admirer of recipes and those who provide advanced techniques without compensation for personal gain. In summary, his belief is it's better to make the plant work a little harder for their food, bigger roots, bigger fruits.
Thoughts ?

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I have a friend, that with out a doubt, is an old school grower from another era. We were discussing soil, super soils, plant nutrition etc. when he asked me if I had ever seen the size of the rootball when flowers are grown in super soils.
His theory is this, with everything available to the plant, as in the case of a super soil, the plant ( roots ) do not need to work as hard to search for their food, therefore causing plants grown in super soils to develop smaller root zones compared to other methods.
Although an admirer of recipes and those who provide advanced techniques without compensation for personal gain. In summary, his belief is it's better to make the plant work a little harder for their food, bigger roots, bigger fruits.
Thoughts ?
Generally speaking, bigger roots=bigger plant. Container size=available space for roots. Depending on your grow methods and such, you are on the right path. I'm old school. I grow in super soil type mix. If you're out to grow huge buds, don't limit your thoughts to just the root size. Pruning, light source and genetics are important factor also.

A

AudioLog

Thanks Old Smokie. Understood. Since you mentioned genetics, are old seeds of yesteryear of any value. ( I'm talking 15-20 years )

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Thanks Old Smokie. Understood. Since you mentioned genetics, are old seeds of yesteryear of any value. ( I'm talking 15-20 years )
My guess, if they are still capable, pop em! Can you confirm the strain? I'm only gonna assume that old, if not properly stored they may be bunk. Best to start with something you know and trust. But hey, I'm no expert. I'm just a pot head.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

To touch on root development again...
I do believe that it's ok to make a plant work a little, but don't stress a plant in certain ways. I would say that super soils are not the reason for small root zones. When in soil, use a larger container than you think. This will allow the roots to consume as much nutrients as made available. Root development will benefit and increase with property watering. Too much and you stunt the growth. Too little can be detrimental too. Have to find that happy medium. A regular regiment. It's also a theory that roots seek water. In this case, bottom watering allows the moisture to wick up forcing the roots to stretch throughout the container searching. Just an idea. Watering from below and feeding from above is a sound practice. Since soils hold the nutrients you shouldn't have to feed too much, just a booster once a week has been my methods. Take my advice for what it's worth. Again, no expert just a stoner with a green thumb.

Dunge

Dunge

My thinking goes: all plant matter is the result of finite primary productivity.
Allocation of these structures are mediated by environment and genetics.
Selection has resulted in "desirable" structures being prioritized.
Balanced root volume, stem strength, leaf area, and bud size are the result.
In this model there is no "right" answer.
The grower is responsible for guiding growth to a desired outcome.
My plants all require bamboo staking in that supporting big buds to maturity would require giant stems.

A

AudioLog

Thanks man. Seeds are really old .... most likely Red or Gold Columbian from late 70's ...(more of an experiment than anything else ) This years outdoor grow goes in tonight, under a full pink moon. ( completely by chance )

Again thanks for the knowledge shared, happy growing.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

To the original point, I grew some quite large plants last year in a raised bed. The roots had effectively no boundaries. The soil was an excellent, light, rototilled composty loam eight inches deep. I gave them water and nutes right at the base of the plant. The root ball of an eight foot plant, that produced two pounds of dried bud, was less than 10 gallons in size when I pulled it up just after harvest. I was stunned. It appears that they grow just far enough to get to what they need.

Girls9 23
OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

To the original point, I grew some quite large plants last year in a raised bed. The roots had effectively no boundaries. The soil was an excellent, light, rototilled composty loam eight inches deep. I gave them water and nutes right at the base of the plant. The root ball of an eight foot plant, that produced two pounds of dried bud, was less than 10 gallons in size when I pulled it up just after harvest. I was stunned. It appears that they grow just far enough to get to what they need.
Nature always balances. If you provide it doesn't have to do so much work itself. Nice grow. I wish I could do that next to my house. Id rip out every azalae and hydranga in sight . Fuck those flowers. Lol.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Nature always balances. If you provide it doesn't have to do so much work itself. Nice grow. I wish I could do that next to my house. Id rip out every azalae and hydranga in sight . Fuck those flowers. Lol.
Its great living in a legal state.

Latest posts

Top Bottom