Supersoil Question On Prep

• Thread starter Highkev
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Highkev

so I wanted to prepare a supersoil batch. Any mixtures that work good please post. And my main question————. Once I mix the super-soil batch how do I cook it in the middle of winter being it’s freezing temperatures outside?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

so I wanted to prepare a supersoil batch. Any mixtures that work good please post. And my main question————. Once I mix the super-soil batch how do I cook it in the middle of winter being it’s freezing temperatures outside?

Good question i want to know too.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

answer is from the compost,compost should be in your recipe regardless of your amendments you add,also the soil base has some life already,middle of winter isnt a problem at all,get a 33 gal trash can with lid,place your mix in the can ,put lid on and the condensation from the lid will filter threw the soil and cook it,every couple weeks lay it out and mix replace back to the can,you soil base,ewc,compost is were the stem from the closed can comes from

H

Highkev

answer is from the compost,compost should be in your recipe regardless of your amendments you add,also the soil base has some life already,middle of winter isnt a problem at all,get a 33 gal trash can with lid,place your mix in the can ,put lid on and the condensation from the lid will filter threw the soil and cook it,every couple weeks lay it out and mix replace back to the can,you soil base,ewc,compost is were the stem from the closed can comes from
Sweet that what I was hoping I could do but wasn’t sure if it would work due to the weather outside. Any good recipes u recommend?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Sweet that what I was hoping I could do but wasn’t sure if it would work due to the weather outside. Any good recipes u recommend?
i use the winter to my advantage,when it frezze,i spread it all out on a tarp about a inch thick and let it kill off any larvae that might be there,your can has to have a few holes in bottom to filter air threw the soil,when i turn my soil i add a little oatmeal in layers as i refill the can,i also use Em1 to feed on the compost in the mix ,all good stuff,as far as a recipe,keep 1:1:1 and your all good,the amends is were it at,but start with ideal measure of your soil compost and air products,coots has a pretty good mix,i dont like it cause it is mainly peat moss base,pro mix is peat moss also,i just dont like either cause it turns to mush after a year and my base plan is to keep it live and fluffy,same with perlite,dont like it forms into hard balls and just degrades as does the peat,folks say dont use wood chips cause it hold nutes,yes it does,but in turn for me that is less feeding and water from the moisture and stored nutes in them,anyway that how i roll ,i got 2 gardens at the moment and planting my third today,i dont have time to pamper my weed along with my gardens,kiddie playground wood chips is the happening for me and in 4 months of triple digit weather the chips are my savior

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I’m a noob be easy and simple lol
im a noob too,evey day brings new adventures,lol,were i live every bit of soil i grow in i made,really example i been out with a jack hammer for 2 weeks and have only put in 8 4x4 post for fencing damn im tired hahahah,my first year here i went with coots recipe,it didnt make it threw the summer ,but did for my tent project if you dig ,outside hell by first of june i had mush in all my raised beds and full of grubs.
solution was ,i went and got a garden mix from a local soil and stone yard,along with a high grade compost that was actualy check in front of me with a solis test,i then took those 2 and added wood chips,went with 30% soil 30%compost 15%vermiculite 15%wood chips,from there i added kelp,alfalfa,neem cake,bone meal,blood meal,azomite,crushed oyster shells,lots of ewc lots,then i covered the beds with clear plastic were the weeds could grow threw to surface,once they surface but black plastic over the beds,it kills the weeds all the way to the roots,i had more amends just cant think of them right now,just a tip here for you,dont use lime and bone meal together,they clash and cause lock out,so one or the other for bringing your ph levels to a even 7,i reamend with wood ash to bring it up beginning of spring

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I tell ya what if oldskool ever decides to sell his soil, I’d buy a truckload. :)
if i had a 20 yr old body ,were i live i could get rich quick buy making soil no doubt,you waste your money on shovels or hoes here,jack hammer and a rack are the tools,every time it rains,after it dries couple days i have to go rake rocks no shit,so very little soil that i cant even get chicken scratch to grow some weeds to hold the little soil there,i have 50 yr old trees growing straight out of rocks here lmao

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Ya know if I wasn’t afraid of the bugs I’d get some soil from my relatives house about 30 miles away. That shit is amazing.

They live in what’s been zoned as swamp land. The worms in it are insane. They live next to a lake that’s spring fed and heir property gets flooded in the spring when the creek gets blocked from beavers building dams. Anyhow we’d go fishing and take a coffee can and grab a shovel. One scoop of dirt into the coffee can and youndidnt even have to check it. On the lid went and we’d head off to the lake. We’d sit there all day and fish off the worms in that soil.

They can grow anything there. My grandpa used to grow strawberries and vegetables and they were huge. So they say. He died a few days before I was born. But they all swear by it and I don’t doubt it for a second. In fact I should go and plant a few at their house now that outdoor cultivation is legal. Hmmm.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Ya know if I wasn’t afraid of the bugs I’d get some soil from my relatives house about 30 miles away. That shit is amazing.

They live in what’s been zoned as swamp land. The worms in it are insane. They live next to a lake that’s spring fed and heir property gets flooded in the spring when the creek gets blocked from beavers building dams. Anyhow we’d go fishing and take a coffee can and grab a shovel. One scoop of dirt into the coffee can and youndidnt even have to check it. On the lid went and we’d head off to the lake. We’d sit there all day and fish off the worms in that soil.

They can grow anything there. My grandpa used to grow strawberries and vegetables and they were huge. So they say. He died a few days before I was born. But they all swear by it and I don’t doubt it for a second. In fact I should go and plant a few at their house now that outdoor cultivation is legal. Hmmm.
do it,when i lived in east texas,trinity river would flood every year and some the best soil for gardening,water only gardening for sure,only thing i couldnt grow was those really huge onions that grow better up north,cant think of the name but they get as big as soft balls,necks never get hard like adverage onions,build you a few raised beds bro,3ft wide by 12 ft long,i cant work comfortably with 4 ft wide boxes,build them then get a skid steer and fill up a truck load at time and transplant the soil to your raised beds

H

Highkev

CCDFE7E6 85FF 46ED B2D2 17D2EEB42D9D
im a noob too,evey day brings new adventures,lol,were i live every bit of soil i grow in i made,really example i been out with a jack hammer for 2 weeks and have only put in 8 4x4 post for fencing damn im tired hahahah,my first year here i went with coots recipe,it didnt make it threw the summer ,but did for my tent project if you dig ,outside hell by first of june i had mush in all my raised beds and full of grubs.
solution was ,i went and got a garden mix from a local soil and stone yard,along with a high grade compost that was actualy check in front of me with a solis test,i then took those 2 and added wood chips,went with 30% soil 30%compost 15%vermiculite 15%wood chips,from there i added kelp,alfalfa,neem cake,bone meal,blood meal,azomite,crushed oyster shells,lots of ewc lots,then i covered the beds with clear plastic were the weeds could grow threw to surface,once they surface but black plastic over the beds,it kills the weeds all the way to the roots,i had more amends just cant think of them right now,just a tip here for you,dont use lime and bone meal together,they clash and cause lock out,so one or the other for bringing your ph levels to a even 7,i reamend with wood ash to bring it up beginning of spring

So subcools recipe is calling for bone meal and garden lime and fish bone meal . No bueneo???

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

View attachment 857593

So subcools recipe is calling for bone meal and garden lime and fish bone meal . No bueneo???
keep in mind subcools recipe is hot and intended to go in the bottom of your pots for flower stage,in a 5 gal bucket go bottom 4inches then reg mix on top,the mix above looks good other than lime and bone meal,maybe some were in there something stops them from clashing,me i would use one or the other,more on the bone side,lime comes as a liquid these days and can be added if it needs it later down the road,what ever you decide to do,after it has cooked about a month,get a jar and put about half handful in it,add ro water,shake it up and let it set for about 12 hrs and stick your ph pen in there and see what the ph is,for flower in soil you want 6.5 ph and feed with 6.5 ph ,if a plant needs more or less you can swing the ph either way a half to one point,,but the recipe you posted is for coco,ive grown with it one time and that was enough of that,after you slurry test it,and you need to go up a tad do a little lime use caution because the lime will take you to a neutral 7.0 ph,my weed never done well at neutral,if you need to lower ph use peat moss to drop it,again use caution,it will take a few try's to get it but believe me,working it to right will be a blessing down the road,anyway hope this helps

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I live next to a lake in the forest. A previous owner we know had all kinds of gardening and landscaping going on i am told. There is “black dirt” all around the small property. I am going to clear the semi wooded area next to my yard and plant some outdoor with a nice path and bench to sit and enjoy it. Will be completely out of sight from the street.

Some good in legal weed.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
keep in mind subcools recipe is hot and intended to go in the bottom of your pots for flower stage,in a 5 gal bucket go bottom 4inches then reg mix on top,the mix above looks good other than lime and bone meal,maybe some were in there something stops them from clashing,me i would use one or the other,more on the bone side,lime comes as a liquid these days and can be added if it needs it later down the road,what ever you decide to do,after it has cooked about a month,get a jar and put about half handful in it,add ro water,shake it up and let it set for about 12 hrs and stick your ph pen in there and see what the ph is,for flower in soil you want 6.5 ph and feed with 6.5 ph ,if a plant needs more or less you can swing the ph either way a half to one point,,but the recipe you posted is for coco,ive grown with it one time and that was enough of that,after you slurry test it,and you need to go up a tad do a little lime use caution because the lime will take you to a neutral 7.0 ph,my weed never done well at neutral,if you need to lower ph use peat moss to drop it,again use caution,it will take a few try's to get it but believe me,working it to right will be a blessing down the road,anyway hope this helps

You run 6.5 in flower? What ph for veg? I’ve been running between 6.2-6.4 in veg and slightly higher in flowering myself. Just curious.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I live next to a lake in the forest. A previous owner we know had all kinds of gardening and landscaping going on i am told. There is “black dirt” all around the small property. I am going to clear the semi wooded area next to my yard and plant some outdoor with a nice path and bench to sit and enjoy it. Will be completely out of sight from the street.

Some good in legal weed.

That’s awesome. I live in a subdivision so my neighbors are too close for me to do outdoor. I may grow a plant on the raised deck. Wish I was in the woods more.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

You run 6.5 in flower? What ph for veg? I’ve been running between 6.2-6.4 in veg and slightly higher in flowering myself. Just curious.
i go 6.5 all the way,ive had over last few years about 3 plants were i had to swing up to 6.8,other than that,soil start base 6.5,water or feed 6.5,thats why i like wood chips,grabs the nutes and saves for roots to find and feed,less water too,last grow i used 3 gal pots,feed once week,1:1:1,soil base,sand silt clay,i use a tad more sand and less clay but not by much,then i add chips,vermiculite for air,then get to amending,no real recipe just what i can afford,fish bone,crab crustatian,crushed oyster shell for critters and calcium,kelp,alfalfa,feather meal,blood and bone,epsome salt for k,add usally about 2 months in on tomato plants,i make my own compost,piles of shit every were lmao, even my raised beds have 6.5 ph,i grow a few things that require neutral or better,seperate beds,potato i run at 5,5 mainly peat moss,but ya bro im always tinker wit it,triple digits here for months,clay is very important

Top Bottom