Supplemental Lights

• Thread starter PassTheJ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PassTheJ

So are their supplemental lights that people adds to their current light setup to control some finer aspects of growing? Special UVB lights or something.

I really dont know much about this subject but I've been given an opportunity to convert my room and would like to maybe experiment.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
So are their supplemental lights that people adds to their current light setup to control some finer aspects of growing? Special UVB lights or something.

I really dont know much about this subject but I've been given an opportunity to convert my room and would like to maybe experiment.
Ya buddy... I have used uvb bulbs for years. I add it to hps and it gives me my low nanometers without dropping a grand on the latest new fangled light gear.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

I don't use supplemental lighting. Good ol tried and true HPS. I did a comparison of different hps brands. Don't buy the hype, or 100+$ bulbs. I ran a half a room using Horts, and the other half of $22 Ultra Sun's. Absolutely no diffrence in yield, or quality. Imo LEDs do not penetrate the canopy, greatly reducing yields (Not to mention cost, and unreliable. I'm sure I'll have people dissagree, and you'll read all kinds of propaganda. Just my take on lighting

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I don't use supplemental lighting. Good ol tried and true HPS. I did a comparison of different hps brands. Don't buy the hype, or 100+$ bulbs. I ran a half a room using Horts, and the other half of $22 Ultra Sun's. Absolutely no diffrence in yield, or quality. Imo LEDs do not penetrate the canopy, greatly reducing yields (Not to mention cost, and unreliable. I'm sure I'll have people dissagree, and you'll read all kinds of propaganda. Just my take on lighting
Cheap bulbs are best... Ipower bulbs here...20 dollas amazon

P

PassTheJ

Well Idk about all that. I avg .67 gpw in a 8x4 using 2000 watts of Mars Hydro burple. Lol.
That's more then some dudes can make with an HPS set up. Plus you have lights like Spyder Plus thats hitting 2.2 gpw in a professional setting. That's well above HPS.

Which brings me to my next question.. If I'm getting 4 spyders for an 8x8.. Do I really need supplemental lights?

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Well Idk about all that. I avg .67 gpw in a 8x4 using 2000 watts of Mars Hydro burple. Lol.
That's more then some dudes can make with an HPS set up. Plus you have lights like Spyder Plus thats hitting 2.2 gpw in a professional setting. That's well above HPS.

Which brings me to my next question.. If I'm getting 4 spyders for an 8x8.. Do I really need supplemental lights?
It would be hard to fit 4.5 pounds under a 1k in a tent hahaha density would be ridiculous

Capture 2018 04 14 05 15 41
IMG 20180410 071919 373
Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Cheap bulbs are best... Ipower bulbs here...20 dollas amazon
I don't mention my yields, but I will say I beat thoes #' handedly. Here's my last grow under a $20 600 watt hps, and there are no diods to break. Look at my avitar. Grown in a coffee cup under a 250 micro SOG.
Last grow *600 watt.
1st pic was at day 25ish
2nd pic was around day 40
As for quality. Got that too.
Note I'm using a HORRIBLE hood for a 600. Glass covered Raptor.
They're dence as hell too.
Last pic are a few tester buds

20180320 174111
20180326 214514
20180326 214614
20180405 152137
Last edited:
Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

It would be hard to fit 4.5 pounds under a 1k in a tent hahaha density would be ridiculous
4x8 tent? Yeah, you'd have to have the right genetics, grow would have to be flawless, trained correctly, even canopy, but can be done.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
4x8 tent? Yeah, you'd have to have the right genetics, grow would have to be flawless, trained correctly, even canopy, but can be done.
4x8 is plenty of space .. Maybe a light rail ehh? And there are some strains you are simply not hitting 2 gpw with hahaha .

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I don't mention my yields, but I will say I beat thoes #' handedly. Here's my last grow under a $20 600 watt hps, and there are no diods to break. Look at my avitar. Grown in a coffee cup under a 250 micro SOG.
Last grow *600 watt.
1st pic was at day 25ish
2nd pic was around day 40
As for quality. Got that too.
Note I'm using a HORRIBLE hood for a 600. Glass covered Raptor.
They're dence as hell too.
Last pic are a few tester buds
Thats an excellent strain you got there too. Good light can make pot better but its great to start with good genetics. I like more frost than weight personally

Monster762

Monster762

There is proof to added uv. The plant produces more trichomes as a defense against the uv. Definately go for it. But uv can burn quick too so just don’t overdo it.
I almost hit g a watt on first grow with a cheap Walmart light too. So I’m with you all on overpriced names. The actual product is what matters.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Thats an excellent strain you got there too. Good light can make pot better but its great to start with good genetics. I like more frost than weight personally
I like both :).
Thank you. It took a little over 4 years to stabilize. I always leave a light leak to be sure it won't herm up....I've also done some crazy things during flower trying to get her to herm. So far, not even a late nanner.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I like both :).
Thank you. It took a little over 4 years to stabilize. I always leave a light leak to be sure it won't herm up....I've also done some crazy things during flower trying to get her to herm. So far, not even a late nanner.
I mean if you have to pick quantity or quality..i go quality. Theres a lot of great smoke out there with low yields.

Snoleperd

Snoleperd

Yes i use suplamentel lights, I started with a t 4 carbon flurecent, I then purchased a California light works veg master solar storm I took my t 4 and screwed it vertically to my back wall 2 full spec tubes 2 vitamin tubes for back light, i allso bought 6 clamp ballist light, home depo $9.99 I then buy full spec led spot lights I buy the highest what 150, and the ones that put out the most lumens remember a full spec led light is a full spec light $30 at home depo you can allso buy timers,everything to start a small grow cheap until you can afford better lights, any way my plants have a veg master over the canopy, they grow up the t 4, and I move my full spec spotlight clamps to realy get that plant lit, there are people on this site that will say an led spot is the wrong kind of light, may b, but it works and it's just suplamentel lighting, I grew my first auto just useing 1 full spec drop ight and 6 full spec clamplights, thats it and it grew I got a 1/4oz but it works!!!!!!!! Nesesatey is the mother of invention. Tor friend sno

D

DrDankPHD

Depends what spectrum you supplementing IR or UV. Or just need more par at the edges. Get a par meter check how even the light is.

Snoleperd

Snoleperd

Full spec, everything I have read about that light says it's an awesome veg light but a poor flower light, dont care about bloom want suplamentel veg light.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

RapidLED (or is it Timber?) sells a DIY 39" flowering bar that I am interested in

Why they don't supply the frame is beyond me

Snoleperd

Snoleperd

I think I know what you are talking about, I was checking one out but what threw me was the weight of the unit itself over 30lbs, I bought a 600w viperspecra for supplemental light but the light is a bear, it has to be at least 10lbs, no way that's going in a closet, I got a tent for x mass but was up and running so I ignored it, I never used a tent I never took it out of the box it's 3×3×3×3×72 I hope it has some way to hang that light it has to right? I must sound stupid but I allways set up in a walk in closet but my other lights are small and work great in an enclosed space, everything I have read about that light is it's a great veg light lots of blue, but a poor flower light not enough red, I care not about that I have a bloom light, I just wanted more blue light but I did not check out the weight of the unit before I bought it so now I'm going to try the tent it says on the box no tools required to assemble but it has to have some kind of bar or hook or something to hang a light on? I'm moveing everything is packed otherwise I would set it up and see how it works, and yea it's just the tent I figure I am going to have to buy some accessories that's another reason I never tried it, your input would be appreciated your friend.

D

DrDankPHD

Full spec, everything I have read about that light says it's an awesome veg light but a poor flower light, dont care about bloom want suplamentel veg light.

I use reptile uvauvb t5.

It helps keep mold at bay.

Snoleperd

Snoleperd

Please do not ask SNOLEPERD for advice or info moderator say I give bad advice and info.

Top Bottom