Switching To Cmh On 3x6 Trays... Advice??

• Thread starter fortphoenix
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fortphoenix

fortphoenix

I have two 6x3 flower trays with 2 a/c 600w HPS over each tray and Im thinking about replacing them with three 315w lights per tray

My question is would three 315w per tray be ideal? I should expect more yield and better quality with 945w CMH vs 1200w HPS, correct? I just want to make sure the switch is a good one and worth it

also should i use reflectors that have the bulb horizontal or vertical?? for CMH brands my hydro shop has nanolux, ss lec, greenpower horizontal, sunburst, phantom and sun systems, any recommendations?
thank you

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I run all Philips bulbs and prism ballasts.

For a 3x6, run 3x 315 if you have the room. Phantom had issues a bit back. I run 3x315 in a 5x10, and 4x315 in a 8x12

fortphoenix

fortphoenix

I run all Philips bulbs and prism ballasts.

For a 3x6, run 3x 315 if you have the room. Phantom had issues a bit back. I run 3x315 in a 5x10, and 4x315 in a 8x12
yeah i have the room for 3 forsure, my yield and quality should increase with the switch from 2 600w to three 315, correct? also what brand reflector/fixture would you recommend and do you think i should go with a vertical bulb fixture or a horizontal one? thank you!

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I use all my old air cooled hoods. Hoods are a personal choice like underwear. What works for me, may not for you.

fortphoenix

fortphoenix

I use all my old air cooled hoods. Hoods are a personal choice like underwear. What works for me, may not for you.
do you know why some companies use horizontal bulbs and some vertical or the benefits of using one or the other? also with the reflectors im just curious if theres any real difference in them as far as output/grow power or if its just a matter of how you like/need the reflection.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

There is absolutely zero difference from a "so called" verticle or horizontal bulb that i know of or ever hear or read about in the almost 6yrs of being a full time grower.

Philips makes a t9 and a t12 bulb. One is made specifically for open hoods or bare bulb, the other is make for air cooled or enclosed hoods.

How would the bulb know it's orientation?

I can only speak for what I know about what I use. Anything else, is your call entirely. I use all prism gen 1 ballasts (white, MAKE SURE YOU BUY THE BLACK GEN 2 MODELS NOW!!). All Philips cmh elite and agro bulbs, even my t5 and t8 are all daylight deluxe bulbs by philips.

The hood you choose plays a key role in canopy distance, and room height. I love my big kahuna hoods. I'm able to keep hood glass about 1' from tips w/o bleaching. This is only allowed as i run big add hoods. About 2x the size of tour normal fixed setup. But it works for me. Will it work for others, who knows. I worry about my garden and my killer yields is all now.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

My current dilemma is a very easy but don't really feel like doing the work. I'm planning on vegging for 2 weeks in my flower room with the 930 bulbs (3k spectrum). I did this last tine and did NOT! Notice the growth I normally get with the 942 bulb. Even though I add 1200ppm co2. Still not huge growth like I see in my veg room with 930 bulbs.

I can swap out my 4x930 bulbs for 4x 942 bulbs for 2-3 weeks......but honestly I'm lazy, still recovering from knee surgery, and it's a PITA to do a bulb swap when my plants get big in 2-3 weeks time.

fortphoenix

fortphoenix

My current dilemma is a very easy but don't really feel like doing the work. I'm planning on vegging for 2 weeks in my flower room with the 930 bulbs (3k spectrum). I did this last tine and did NOT! Notice the growth I normally get with the 942 bulb. Even though I add 1200ppm co2. Still not huge growth like I see in my veg room with 930 bulbs.

I can swap out my 4x930 bulbs for 4x 942 bulbs for 2-3 weeks......but honestly I'm lazy, still recovering from knee surgery, and it's a PITA to do a bulb swap when my plants get big in 2-3 weeks time.
so you think the 942 bulbs are best for veg? i was told to go with either 3100k thru all of veg and flower or use 4200 in veg, 3100 in flower. luckily use separate rooms so i dont have to switch bulbs for that but it seems as if all fixtures comes with the same 930 phillips bulb with a 3100 or 4100k option

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I didn't notice the growth with the 4k bulb as i do with the 3k bulb. I'm swapping bulbs tonight. I may run the 4k bulb to finish as well.

H

heisen

I use the 3k bulb.i get way faster growth with cmh vs everything else I have.i have two 315s in a 5x3 now.i think you could get away with 2 in 3x6 but 3 would be bad ass.they 2ould kick the shit out of hps especially spread out.you will have way better coverage.i replaced a 600 watt hos with 2 315s and the 315s own that 600.
20171017 233630

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

^^^
Winner winner chicken dinner

I'm gonna give a 4k veg bulb a chance all thru harvest and see what happens vs a 3k bulb this run.

Edit
After further talks with a few grower buddies, I'll swap out the 4k bulbs back to flower bulbs after 2.5 weeks from flipping. Word is the 3k will flower better.

Last edited:
H

heisen

^^^
Winner winner chicken dinner

I'm gonna give a 4k veg bulb a chance all thru harvest and see what happens vs a 3k bulb this run.

Edit
After further talks with a few grower buddies, I'll swap out the 4k bulbs back to flower bulbs after 2.5 weeks from flipping. Word is the 3k will flower better.
Yeah I think your smart to make that move

Top Bottom