Taco-ing On Sugar/fan Leaves Only.

• Thread starter Timtookalook
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Dude sadly those ladies are infested with mites if you are going to even attempt to save them just accept that its broad or russet mites and commit to a treatment plan. Those glossy look the affected leaves has is the signature of those creatures, all the affected leaves and some of the healthy leaves with affected parts have the same glossy look (it looks like the leaves had been waxed) and you say new growth comes twisted thats another sign of mites. Nothing does this kind of damage except broad or russet mites.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

Check it I'm 100 % positive it's mites. If it's Russet's sulfur is excellent at knocking them down to but this doesn't fully rid you of your issues. I don't promote nuclear chemicals like Avivd, Forbid, etc which is why I told you to cut and run because it really takes major diligents if not going the nuclear route. Clean everything which bleach, start spraying sulfur on the infested plants. Never get cuts from untrusted sources is how you don't get mites in the first place or grow from seed. But start spraying and getting them back to health and then take the top clone and trash the plant. I'm saving you a major headache if ya listen. I'm hoping it's Broads for you and not the Russets. I can't even believe I just said that. Happy Growing

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

Check it I'm 100 % positive it's mites. If it's Russet's sulfur is excellent at knocking them down to but this doesn't fully rid you of your issues. I don't promote nuclear chemicals like Avivd, Forbid, etc which is why I told you to cut and run because it really takes major diligents if not going the nuclear route. Clean everything which bleach, start spraying sulfur on the infested plants. Never get cuts from untrusted sources is how you don't get mites in the first place or grow from seed. But start spraying and getting them back to health and then take the top clone and trash the plant. I'm saving you a major headache if ya listen. I'm hoping it's Broads for you and not the Russets. I can't even believe I just said that. Happy Growing

I ordered seeds from AMS.. thats where I started from. I've read that waxiness on some leaves can be from too much nitrogen? And have recently made a reduction. The new growth isnt showing signs of curling or twisting that I can tell. Maybe im in denial or just wishful thinking. Does this new growth look like twisting?

Dude sadly those ladies are infested with mites if you are going to even attempt to save them just accept that its broad or russet mites and commit to a treatment plan. Those glossy look the affected leaves has is the signature of those creatures, all the affected leaves and some of the healthy leaves with affected parts have the same glossy look (it looks like the leaves had been waxed) and you say new growth comes twisted thats another sign of mites. Nothing does this kind of damage except broad or russet mites.

Hey man, thanks for the info. I replied to another guy on here in regards to my girls. Kinda related ro your message. You both sound very convincing... 1st grow... been a lot of work so far to this point and educating myself. Hate the idea of starting over. Especially since i have no idea how mites got there on the first place. It could just happen again if i cant find the source. I would think if they were "infested" i'd see more signs then waxy curled sugar leaves. So many products and advice out there, my head is spinning...LoL.. ughhh. Going to get a magnifier in the next hour or so... then i know 4sure... if they are infested, i'll toss them. No gonna bother treating them at 4 weeks old... still have a long way to go, not running this race with crippled teammates right out of the gate. Abort and start over.

P

PharmHand

Thanks for the vote of confidence... I will keep updating here as I continue to diagnose and assess the situation some more. My newest leaves appear to be about to curl, but I am going to wait and see what the next row of leaves look like since i just made a few.adjustments... i have my room temp and humidity dialed in now throughout the entire day (humidifier on 24/7 and my exhaust fan on a timer...30mins off and 15min on). Numbers are all in check... I reduced my nutrient ppm from 1100 to 600... and i'm going to top up water with only ph balanced water. Gotta find a microscope I can borrow now so TIM can TakeAlook for pests... LOL. Thanks again eh? Haha
I had the exact same thing happen but the newest growth was even affected it was rolled completely over itself like little tubes. I googled around and was certain I had russets or broads so I picked up a cheap kids microscope from Walmart for 25$. I also have a little one that hooks up to my phone.... I searched for hours and couldn’t see anything moving anywhere. The plants lived happily and yielded handsomely. Mine was caused by a sudden massive increase in light intensity plus I had my dehums accidentally set to run continuously AND had my nighttime heater programmed wrong. Happened within hours...... But get yourself a decent scope, you should have no problems spotting bms or russets at 60-100x focused correctly. Please come back n let us know either way!

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Dude we are just trying to help, it is most definietly mites, never see nitrogen giving a glossy look, deep green nearly black leaves is what too much nitrogen does, and this waxed effect on the leaves is caused by mites but if it turns out to be something else i would be glad to hear about it. In the meantime here is a simplified answer to your question.
http://www.growweedeasy.com/cannabis-broad-mites

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
A magnifier will not do it you need a microscope.

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

I had the exact same thing happen but the newest growth was even affected it was rolled completely over itself like little tubes. I googled around and was certain I had russets or broads so I picked up a cheap kids microscope from Walmart for 25$. I also have a little one that hooks up to my phone.... I searched for hours and couldn’t see anything moving anywhere. The plants lived happily and yielded handsomely. Mine was caused by a sudden massive increase in light intensity plus I had my dehums accidentally set to run continuously AND had my nighttime heater programmed wrong. Happened within hours...... But get yourself a decent scope, you should have no problems spotting bms or russets at 60-100x focused correctly. Please come back n let us know either way!

Hey, thanks for your response, it's opened my eyes to the possiblity it might NOT be mites. My situation is VERY similar to yours. 8 days ago I transplanted my plants from small Tupperware containers tonthe big 5 gallon buckets and baskets. I had my nutes at 400ppm before transplanting and light balast at 50% for its 1000w capacity. Once trasnplanted, I bumped the nutes to 800ppm and set the lights to 75% capacity... The leaves began curling, and i raised the lights higher and higher, but still curled. I did some reading and heard humidity could curl leaves. I had overlooked humidity as this is my 1st time growing even when it showed on my digital monitor. it was a dreaded 13%... Really fkn dry considering its supposed to be 40 to 60 percent at this stage. So i put a humidifier in there and it took me a few days to get the timing of fresh air, lights and humidity within the acceptable parameters using timers etc.. etc.. its only been 4 days since i've not had to make any adjustments. While I was working, I even had my wife send me pics of my guage every 2hrs. Asking her to turn this and that on or off or up and down. So, thank you for the encouraging message. Im still going to use some SM90 and do a thorough inspection, but I haven't given up yet. If it ends up being mites, then i'll start from scratch... its only been 4 weeks. Cut My losses now, like the other guys advised. Thanks for making me feel more hopeful. CHEERS!

Heres my monitor that i havent reset now for 4 days. Mostly within range

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
By the way you could get the infestation from eggs on some of your equipment you bought, like hydroton or your reservoir or i don’t know anything in your grow room, cause i never ran into this problem and i hope i won’t so i can’t say for sure but what i can say for sure is this, this is not nitrogen toxicitiy and it is broad or russet mites.

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

By the way you could get the infestation from eggs on some of your equipment you bought, like hydroton or your reservoir or i don’t know anything in your grow room, cause i never ran into this problem and i hope i won’t so i can’t say for sure but what i can say for sure is this, this is not nitrogen toxicitiy and it is broad or russet mites.

Thanks for the message... I bleached every inch of that room and all my equipment which was all brand new in a box when I first setup... the room is plastic wrapped from roof to floor and taped. Its still coldish here... theres not even any ants, flies, or bees etc.. out yet. As for my reservoir... ive just been treating and managing each bucket separately... 3 plants.. no biggie. I change the water every Saturday night. Bleaching each bucket and rinsing thoroughly. I even soaked my hydrocorn before using in dilluted bleach water then soaked them for a day in ph balanced water and rinsed again. Again, you might be right, but im trying to stay positive until i can get my hands on a magnifier.

P

PharmHand

Thanks for the message... I bleached every inch of that room and all my equipment which was all brand new in a box when I first setup... the room is plastic wrapped from roof to floor and taped. Its still coldish here... theres not even any ants, flies, or bees etc.. out yet. As for my reservoir... ive just been treating and managing each bucket separately... 3 plants.. no biggie. I change the water every Saturday night. Bleaching each bucket and rinsing thoroughly. I even soaked my hydrocorn before using in dilluted bleach water then soaked them for a day in ph balanced water and rinsed again. Again, you might be right, but im trying to stay positive until i can get my hands on a magnifier.
Broads/russets is worst case Ontario( trailer park boys reference haha). It’s like going to the dr with a cough and him immediately saying you have lung cancer. In growing and life in general really you’re best off dealing with issues rationally rather than impulsively. Eliminate the easy/obvious first. Your humidity was super low and you were feeding way too heavy, especially for dwc. The best dwc grower I’m aware of feeds under 500ppm. And honestly 40%rh is still isn’t great imo. Mine recovered rapidly when I 1. Decreased light intensity
2. Increased humidity
3. Decreased temperature
4. Reduced feed strength
5. Misted with water and gave them a day off from hid light
Again I’m not saying you don’t have mites. Just saying explore all possibilities and don’t just jump to worst possible conclusion. And a plant in hot dry conditions develops a thicker waxier cuticle to prevent dessication- shiny. GET A SCOPE!

str8smokn

str8smokn

Yep I just lost a whole bloom to fucking Red Spider mites .
I cut down 12 plants in week 5 ish of a 7-8 week flower.
It sucks ass, so now I’m bombing my space with Dokter Doom foggers and starting a treatment on my vegging moms. Cutting clones and dipping clones of said moms with Azamax then some Safer Soap and Greencleaner.
Still bleaching everything down and then castle soap (Dr Brooners) to follow up then another fogger with all cleaning to follow again.
STR8

str8smokn

str8smokn

It’s better to just cut your loss, clean the fuck up and start over new. It’s quicker and cheaper.
Or cut clones and if you really want to keep around. It’s easier to dip small clones then 5 week old plants.
STR8

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

It’s better to just cut your loss, clean the fuck up and start over new. It’s quicker and cheaper.
Or cut clones and if you really want to keep around. It’s easier to dip small clones then 5 week old plants.
STR8

Woahh, shitty deal bud..... Thanks for the advice, still trying to get a magnifier to have closer look at my girls. Unfortunately I live out in the stix and havent been able to locate one nearby. A guy from work is going to lend me one on Monday. I'm not convinced yet that I have mites, i'm not choppin my girls down until I see mites/bugs with my own two eyes (or 1 eye and a magnifier lol). Keeping my fingers crossed. Appreciate the pics and advice. Thanks and keep smokin'

trickle

trickle

What strain? I've seen a number of indica doms do this, especially in the swamps (humidity and temp extremes)

Timtookalook

Timtookalook

What strain? I've seen a number of indica doms do this, especially in the swamps (humidity and temp extremes)

Its a 65/35 indica/sativa Hybrid called Caramelicious. I had an extremely dry room. Its my first time growing hydo. When I read about humidity suppose to be between 40 60%.... mine was 13%... its all bettet now tho. Thanks for the reply.

CaliRooted

CaliRooted

See this is all I was trying to tell you bro. I've just been down the road and I'm not a beginner at this here growing. Good luck to however you choose to combat your situation.

Top Bottom