Temp controlled 10inch duct,exhaust to recirc switch duct?

• Thread starter Dynamite
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dynamite

Dynamite

Is there a temp controlled motorized 10inch duct that can switch from changing the air from exhausting out of the grow room - to recirculating it

I have never seen such a product ,but am hoping there is such thing

The problem is I can not stop running the carbon filter in the room ,but it just doesn't make sense to blow all the hot air out of my grow room during the sleep cycle

my room is 16ftX16ft w/8k in lights ,and heating and cooling it is a bitch ..then just to blow it outside once I get it spot on ,arrrggg .....on the night cycle it's blowing all the hot air from my heaters out,a huge waste,so to beable to recirc the air during the night cycle would KICK ASS

any input is appreciated ...thanks ,Dynamite

M

mrdizzle

you could turn your outtake off during lights out and run a fan on a scrubber not connected to any ducting like in a sealed room. you will need dehums so you could probably scrap your heaters

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
yes you use a motorized duct damper. They make them in normally open or normally closed setup, Can wire one to a thermostat. (or could use a timer) They just need a power source to work.

http://www.horticulturesource.com/c...4978/?osCsid=e6c4acaeab68037b9e465ada84d59222

Here is one I installed in the ducting for my hoods. That way I can use the same circuit for intake air @ lights off (if needed)
duct_damper1.jpg

Not sure if you will need these. Can use these to make sure the air flows the direction you need.
damper.JPG

damperopen.JPG

Hope that helps. I recall there may be another thread on the subject around...

Dynamite

Dynamite

Leadsled ,thanks man !! :boogie:

That is "almost" exactly what I am looking for, I think I can use what you have pictured and a few ideas of my own to make it work .. still trying to picture it in my head

I can hook that inline so it stops the air flow

BUT - how to divert it back into the room is the question ?

needs to be the "duct damper" ,but divert the air another direction rather then just stop it .....??.....

I am sure the answer is right in front of my face ,I am just having a problem envisioning it .. :icon_dizzy:

Dynamite

Dynamite

you could turn your outtake off during lights out and run a fan on a scrubber not connected to any ducting like in a sealed room. you will need dehums so you could probably scrap your heaters

I actually have a second fan and carbon filter ,so that may end up being an option ...but still would really like to figure it out on a temp controlled set-up with just the 1 fan and filter

D

DerErlkoenig

This may be too simple/not exactly what you want, but couldn't you just put a timer on your exhaust and only have it run for 15min/hour during the dark cycle?

N

norm

put the "T" in the duct right before the damper.

So it will go

>>>filter>>>"T duct">>>damper on timer>>>exterior.

once the damper closes the air will take the least path of resistance and go out the T right back into the room. but you will get a little bit of airflow coming out the T during lights on unless you have that dampered as well. why buy dampers and shit if you already have another fan and filt though?

in my room I have 2 can 100s, one with a 10 in maxfan recircing 24/7 and the other on the exhaust with a 8 in vortex. the exhaust fan plugs into this below

http://www.amazon.com/C-P-TMP-DNe-TEMPERATURE-CONTROL/dp/B0026QU966h

and my intake is a 8 in split into two 6s with duct booster fans.
this keeps temps pretty dialed, but of course things need to be dial from time to time as the seasons change.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Witht the motorized ones they sell them by direction of air flow. It sounds weird but you might be able to use 2 of the motorized one on 1 line. You just need to work the timing out on them so you can put it back in like you want it.
It popped in my head for a second on how it would work but now its mumbo jumbo going on trying to explain it.

I am thinking of something like a temp controller on one or maybe both or even a humidistat combo controller type thing hooked up to the motorized vent. It can be done.

In HVAC I have seen something like a "Air Exchanger" which will do exactly what you want but they cost some benjis but will do everything you are asking.

I will try and find a link and post back here.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

this is what I was thinking of.

Before I mentioned a way but i forgot. What I was thinking is getting a 10 inch T and put those in your flow and use the motorized dampers on each one so it will stop the flow and put it back in your room. Or when the temp or humidity goes too hi you can use a enviroment controller on that to open and close it.

Sounds like it will work to me. maybe a few more bingers of the white will help me figure it out.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Sorry. first post did not realize you will need 2 duct dampers to do what you want.

They are both attached to y or t fitting. Then you open one o them to direct the hot air where you want.

a picture to help you visualize it. in the diagram I show both duct dampers closed. You would have power to one via timer or thermostat to open the duct damper and then the heat goes where you want it.
duct_solution.gif

Hope that make it easier to understand. If not let me know and I will try to help.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
norms solution may be the most cost effective and 1 duct damper is less $$ than 2 duct dampers.

this is what I was thinking of.

Before I mentioned a way but i forgot. What I was thinking is getting a 10 inch T and put those in your flow and use the motorized dampers on each one so it will stop the flow and put it back in your room. Or when the temp or humidity goes too hi you can use a enviroment controller on that to open and close it.

Sounds like it will work to me. maybe a few more bingers of the white will help me figure it out.

Hey you took enough bingers :)
you pretty much nailed it. that box is pretty cool, but kinda pricey

Dynamite

Dynamite

Leadsled ,thanks bro ,the pictures are bad ass and VERY explanatory ..I honestly appreciate you taking the time

I was having a helluva time even finding the 10inch damper , I was obviously google'ling the wrong words..anyhow ,thanks again

DerErlkoenig,good idea ,but my room starts stinking up the country side with in 1/2hr of the filter not running ,,and reeks up my property within 15-20min ..lol..UkCheese at 8 or 9 weeks of bloom and no scrubber ,make your eyes water just walking in the room ,lost power before here - and I need to invest in a generator just for exhaust fan if I loose power again

Norm,I think your onto something..Far as using the other fan and Can and just setting up a timer,the other filter is a Eco-plus ,I replaced it with a CAN brand because it just wouldn't keep up ,wasn't up to par ..who knows maybe blow into it just sitting in the room with a couple dueys runnings ,that's my cheapest bet as I have all the stuff here to do it ..that'll be attempt #1 ...getting new rooms dialed in - with the outdoor climates completely different then what I am used to here,lots of shit to dial in

Smokey
,Where'd you get White nugs ? ,lucky mofo !you take any pics ? What did you end up getting for strains,I know you were ,or are on the hunt ,hope ya found what you were lookn for

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Lol. Leadsled. That is exactly what I was trying to say. But the pic is perfect

N

norm

yeah those eco filters are junk from what ive heard, only bought canS myself.

anyway I forgot to add the fan in the senario before.
>= airflow direction
It would go

>filter>>>fan>>>"T">>>Damper>>>exterior
v
v
v

Id just hook the damper to the end of the "T" but really you can put it anywhere as long as its after the T, then when it closes the air is forced through the side of the "T" thats open, thus blowin it right back in the room. Im shit with drawings on the computer, but you get the idea from above?

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

I got "The White" from a buddy when he gave me clones of it. He gave me samples of everything he gave me. No pics of the nugs. I am going to do a grow diary and that will be featuring The White, Deadwood, Lifebreather NL (You will want this one in your garden for sure, it won pic of the year at iseemahg) also Super Silver Haze (Plumbers Cut) Pot of Gold, and the usuall Shishkaberry and Blackberry.
The White is the one I have been searching for. Now I have it I am going to rock the shit out of it. The Deadwood, I have NEVER seen leaves as big as these. Fan leaves on a plant maybe a foot tall and leaves a foot long. No effin joke. I will take pics tonight at 8pm when my lights turn on.

Sorry for jacking this thread.

Let me know if you get those Motorized dampers and where you got them from, I cannot find them locally.

C

cymbaline

horticulture source has motorized dampers for a decent price.
Thanks to JK who set my mind on fire with a damper idea I did some looking today
and that is about the cheapest I can find them for the minute.
All I did was do a google search on motorized damper and hit the shopping results.
Maybe you can have better luck with sourcing something cheaper though.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
horticulture source has motorized dampers for a decent price.
Thanks to JK who set my mind on fire with a damper idea I did some looking today
and that is about the cheapest I can find them for the minute.
All I did was do a google search on motorized damper and hit the shopping results.
Maybe you can have better luck with sourcing something cheaper though.

Horticulture source charges quite a bit on shipping so sometime they cost a little bit more. Kalyx.com is listed for cheaper but does not have good reviews. (appears they may be a drop ship company)

found these on amazon
$100.00
RCS RD Series HVAC Zone Dampers, 10inch

$80.00
suncourt model is cheaper
SUNCOURT ZC110 10"

May check local hvac places or hardware stores. I ordered mine via local hydro shop.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Lol. Leadsled. That is exactly what I was trying to say. But the pic is perfect
Excellent, sometimes diagram is an lot easier than trying to explain.

Leadsled ,thanks bro ,the pictures are bad ass and VERY explanatory ..I honestly appreciate you taking the time

I was having a helluva time even finding the 10inch damper , I was obviously google'ling the wrong words..anyhow ,thanks again
Your welcome glad it was helpful.

I always find the hardest part is finding the proper term to search for then your good to go.

Here are some of the terms that have helped me with searching on google.com.

backdraft damper

motorized duct damper

discount hvac

motorized duct damper themostat

N

not2busy4

if i understand what your looking for is too slow down your fan at night so your not sucking all your heat out of the room one of these might help or one of these

Top Bottom