Contact Us
Want to advertise here? Contact us today to begin

The Diamond Thread

Discussion in 'Concentrates & Processing' started by Crush It, May 8, 2018.

  1. I am creating this thread to share my tech and hopefully through my trial and error, others can save their time, headaches...and migraines.
    "Diamonds" are what we are after and they are simply thc-a crystals that have precipitated out of a solution (mother liquid saturated with solvent). This tech is quite simple and only requires some basic equiptment, patients, and some knowledge of extraction and of course good old common sense is always good to have.
    This isn't going to be a compete write up on how to make "Diamonds" although if you want to ask questions I will answer. I will not hide any tech but for the sake of time let's assume most of us know the basic process here and we will start with our collected mother liquid with the solvent of your choice, so far only butane has been used in these "Diamonds" you will see here. In the past you have seen post of mine where I have shown pics like this..althogh great sauce was created and decent small thc-a crystals precipitated, I knew I could do better so here was the trick that really helped me...
    GT21 likes this.
  2. ..the terps in that photo were like honey. Very thick and very hard, actually impossible to separate. Great sauce but no not we are after. So the trick was and most of you maybe all may not be as surprised as I was but use a static free container, mix dry ice and 99.9% iso to make liquid nitrogen and place the jar loose lid straight in the mixture for minimum 4 hours. I let this here batch crash out for 6 hours (see below) but at hour 3 I pulled the jar and this is the trick part---pull the lid and look in the jar, the fats and lipids will be at the top and on the side of the container. Retrieve them with a qtip and I saved them for further study but most will through that stuff away..put the lid back on loose and back in the dry ice mix. Now you can crash for up to 48hrs I think I have not tried longer than 6 hrs yet. Once you remove the jar from the dry ice let it sit at room temp with the lid loose until the solvent has evaporated off enough to where you are down to about 1/3 of what you started with and screw your lid on tight and check it every few minutes for the first hour and look at that lid. If it is pushing upward a lot push down on it with your finger and if it is hard slowly unscrew the lid and let off a very very small amount of gas and retighten. This is the step, the removal of the fats and waxes that made the terp fraction like water and in my theory allows for faster and larger growth of thc-a crystals. These pictures do not show much because my camera sucks ass and this batch is only 2 days in. But the growth is amazing and will keep updated. Largest crystal is size of time so far.
    GT21 likes this.
  3. Would also like to add do not be afraid to burp your jars. I do not mean burp the loss out of them but it will not hurt them at all to let some gas off that way you won't have a busted jar. By the way I have a friend who has been doing this far longer than I and he had never once busted a jar but he has lids leak as have I. If the lid leaks that usually means there is just too much pressure for the container and it needs to be burped. Thought that might be useful to someone somewheres.
  4. What is this round 5 now
    Dbear180 likes this.
  5. GrowGod

    GrowGod BANNED! Supporter

    I thought we were going to make this a sticky thread?
    CaliRooted, 2toughtony and Dbear180 like this.
  6. Dbear180


    I think demon is working on that. He told this guy to get a solid method down before he gets a sticky named after him.
    GrowGod likes this.
  7. Ya I can copy and paste from too but this is my real experience.
  8. Dbear180


    Whom are you addressing this statement to? I don't recall anyone calling you out in here...
  9. Don't worry I deleted it for ya, since you want this to be about your personal anecdotyl experience. Since you just learned how to open blast, I'm sure is a hard place for you to grasp.
    Dbear180 likes this.
  10. Nah I should repost it for the fam.

    1. Start by chilling your material columns. With open sleeved jackets a dry ice/ 99% isopropyl solution will reach -110, and with closed jackets liquid nitrogen is appropriate. Chill the solvent tank at this time as well.
    2. Once you have reached and are holding desired temp while also maintaining vacuum it’s time to prime the system. We do this by pushing warm vapors from another solvent tank into the system.
    3. Turn on your recovery pump and open recovery port on your cold tank, allow it to build a bit of pressure. While doing this, remove the cold solvent tank from its chilling bath, place it on your refrigerant scale, then open the liquid port and begin flushing. I do a 10:1 solvent to material.
    4. Once the solvent has pushed through the material column I let the solute run through my buchner vessel (purchased from open source Steel). I put pro pak distillation packing on top and between the filters to prevent clogging. Freeze with dry ice and iso/etoh for at least one hour. I’ve had clients get good results without dewaxing.
    5. After allotted time, I open the next valve and allow it to run through the filters into the collection vessel. I recover at 65° to preserve the terps.
    6. Once it’s low enough open (you want to leave about 1lb of solvent and pour into jars put lid on loose and cryo with dry ice / isopropyl for minimum of 2 days. I do this in an igloo cooler in a deep freeze freezer. During this you’ll see THCa crystals blooming on the walls and bottom of the jars. This is what you want to happen, don’t be alarmed.
    7. After that let jars sit at room temp for an hour or 2, then tighten the lids all the way and do another couple hours at room temp. (This is only to ensure enough solvent has evaporated so you can tighten the lid)
    8. Place jars, with lids tight, in vacuum oven at 80-85° with no vacuum, for 14-21 days, sometimes longer depending on the reaction. (For larger diamonds set to 65° this will extend growth time to 3 months even longer. You must be patient for this. I advise doing 85° till youre comfortable.) That’s when your crystals will grow and real separation will happen.
    9. Once you feel you have achieved proper separation. (You sometimes need to burp after growth has stopped) Open jar and quickly pour terps into smaller jar allow some diamonds to flow in as well. Cap and place back on heat for another week or 2 to ensure precipitation has ended.
    10. After a week or 2 open terp fraction and begin purging. Leave the oven at 85(this step is not always necessary), pour the terps into a pyrex dish to allow for enough surface area for the solvent to escape. And pull a -15 to -20 vac for 4 days
    11. While the terp fraction is finishing we advise to put the thca portion in the freezer with capped lid. Place back in oven and purge with the terpene fraction.
    The freezing in the jars will force the THCa to crystallize and crash off to the bottom. Then, as it heats up it will dissolve (if you have no pressure it will float to the top leaving seeds everywhere negating the cryo) with pressure it will stay at the bottom and create a clear layer and as the pressure rises the layer gets thinner and more compact until it’s so compact it’s forced to crystallize to get room…"
    Credit to Ostcc from
    stemznseedz and dabarino like this.
  11. ..ya why did you delete good info..and no I completely understand and have run a cls. This is all pretty simple for me.