The Gas Lantern Techinique!!!

• Thread starter caveman4.20
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
xavier7995

xavier7995

Read up quite a bit on this technique and am looking to use it my next grow. The results look really impressive, particularly on growing out big gangly sativas. Going with 12-5-2-5, need to get to the hardware store to get a cfl lighting array put together that will disrupt the night cycle properly. Guess I should reserve judgement until i try this myself, but I am pretty sold on the idea.
I once tried a similar idea during flower, worked...sort of. Some mystery seeds from islander weed that just would not finish wound up getting crazy night cycles. They eventually finished but yield was terrible. Prettiest pink pistils ever though with an amazing pure brain buzz.

xavier7995

xavier7995

LED should work as well. Far from an expert, but you just need lights bright enough to break up your night cycle. CFL's just seem like the cheapest way to go, i just don't want to make my light flip on and off a bunch of extra times. The hour of light should work fine, but I guess in some strains (very few) that isn't quite enough to disrupt the night fully so 2 is a safer bet.

edit: VVVVVVVVVVwill have to check them out:)VVVVVVVVV

Last edited:
Funkadelic

Funkadelic

LED should work as well. Far from an expert, but you just need lights bright enough to break up your night cycle. CFL's just seem like the cheapest way to go, i just don't want to make my light flip on and off a bunch of extra times. The hour of light should work fine, but I guess in some strains (very few) that isn't quite enough to disrupt the night fully so 2 is a safer bet.
cool. The new LED shoplights at Lowes, etc are pretty cheap. Probably cover a good footprint. Also they never die.

phoenixfire

phoenixfire

Caveman is my uncle and I'm one of the cavemen that use these ancient techniques. Keep in mynd that sufficcient lighting is crucial with this approach. I would not cut any corners, if your on the fence about if there is enough light in a corner or deep in the canopy, I would arrange your plants to be confident that enough light is hitting the plant. Flo's will work to interrupt the dark but I would use the same wattage as day not any less....IME this (glr, dls, tlo,)approach to growing is superior in unlocking plants full potential. Peace and cavemen grease!

xavier7995

xavier7995

cool. The new LED shoplights at Lowes, etc are pretty cheap. Probably cover a good footprint. Also they never die.

Took a look, not sure how well those will work. The reviews mentioned they were just not that bright?

I saw some that were like led spotlights on lowes website that could just be rigged up around the garden to better address the dark spot issues that phoenixfire mentioned. Given the low light penetration of LED's...something else might be a better choice though.

Clamper3

Clamper3

Ive been running 12/1 veg schule for over 5 yrs. i also use a revised flowering schedule. I go strait to 10 hrs, after 2 wks then to 9 hrs, then 2 more wks, then on to 8 hrs for the remainder of flower..
I enjoy the schedule very much. Love the way all the plants jump into flower. Also LOVE the elec savings..

Clamper3

Clamper3

I have a bunch of material that might
BOLLOCKS!
Are you running gaslight? Any live threads on it other than Tnelz random talk (which is awesome BTW and what led me to research gaslight... Just not a dedicated convo to it).... ?
I have a bunch of material on this if you need some... But this is a proven method of greenhouse management.. So its not hard to find info

xavier7995

xavier7995

I have a bunch of material that might

I have a bunch of material on this if you need some... But this is a proven method of greenhouse management.. So its not hard to find info

THIS!!!!! Weed growing folks seem fundamentally opposed to using the techniques/advances that have been made in the agricultural science arena. Horticulture/botany/etc is science, we should see what those smart dudes come up with and apply it.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

THIS!!!!! Weed growing folks seem fundamentally opposed to using the techniques/advances that have been made in the agricultural science arena. Horticulture/botany/etc is science, we should see what those smart dudes come up with and apply it.
Don't forget stoners are lazy and paranoid. That science stuff is just a front for the government to like, do stuff man. You ever do science...on weed?

nazarbattu

nazarbattu

If you run into a stubborn mother or clone while in GLR veg that is pre flowering, I would make sure clone has plenty of root space, nitrogen and do not allow to dry out too often. P.s. seeds go beast mode in GLR and only issues I've had with this cycle was with old beat up clone/dud/root bound mum.
Nazarbattu

xavier7995

xavier7995

Don't forget stoners are lazy and paranoid. That science stuff is just a front for the government to like, do stuff man. You ever do science...on weed?

I actually knew a bunch of old hippies that had that view about asbestos. they thought the man was trying to force them into using new products when the old ones were better...that did not work out very well for them.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

I wanted to try the Gas Lantern tech as it was the only issue I had was when reflecting on how nature has nurtured Cannabis with the rhythms of the seasons, I successfully ran my HID for 12 hours and a similar spectrum CFL's for 6 hours for a total of 18 hours. I think the savings is negligible but I was successful.

I think now it would be a good idea to run 3000k cfl's at lights on for 3 hours, the fire the MH HID for 12 hours and finish again with the 3000k Cfl's.

I think this would be a great adaptation of the Gas Lantern Tech, and a simulation as close as possible to mother natures Tech.

Reduce your bill, your carbon footprint, and participate in your grow on a more satisfying and deeper level.

fishwater

fishwater

Sorry, here's the pic !
20151019 084750 resized

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i use the gas light method ,and yes it does work,only problem i have come across is room,if your limited to grow space its really not for you,i have a modified version that i practice in my garden,all the way threw veg i use the gas light,it tricks the plant into thinking more days and improves lenght of your veg time,with the 1 hr in bettween it fools it into thinking another day,by the time it adjust to the light coming on the hr in bettween and is fully awake off goes the light,ive noticed a lot more growth in veg and faster to get to the flower stage,when i flip my girls its 12/12 reason for this is i just have the one closet,if i was doing the gas light then i cant put my veg plants in with the girls because every 2 weeks you drop the light cycle a hour,not good for flipping ,so veg gas light and flower 12/12 ,but the gas light will save you money on your electric bill,i ran it all the way thru last grow,but was stuck just with that grow and couldnt start more seedling because of the light schedule,if you have room and can adjust acordinally for those schedules,it does and will save you money and it does not effect your yeild and will finish your plants earlier,just my opinion doesnt mean im right but it has worked for me,i just needed about 3 rooms or tents to do perpetuail grows

Top Bottom