The Gas Lantern Techinique!!!

• Thread starter caveman4.20
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
phoenixfire

phoenixfire

In my experience the stretch staggers as you raise the light for example if you start off with MH at 2 ft distance the plant will stretch to get into the sweet spot then the nodes are close for six inches and then the lower branches stretch up to the conical node by that time I raise the light or LST which triggers another stretch until the dominate cola gets into that sweet spot. So yes GLR causes some stretch but plant does not stay in that stretch, it staggers for lack of better terms.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

In my experience the stretch staggers as you raise the light for example if you start off with MH at 2 ft distance the plant will stretch to get into the sweet spot then the nodes are close for six inches and then the lower branches stretch up to the conical node by that time I raise the light or LST which triggers another stretch until the dominate cola gets into that sweet spot. So yes GLR causes some stretch but plant does not stay in that stretch, it staggers for lack of better terms.

This is one of the reasons I modified the gas Lantern Tech. I found that the increased dark period caused more stretch than running cfl's for the remaining 6hours of the 18 hour cycle. With the modified tech it decreased the stretch, however not entirely, but it was an improvement on uniform node spacing.

Depends also on the strain as well, a nice short squat indica would be ideal in this setup. My final conclusions on the subject are: Gas Lantern in it's truest form is not for me specifically because, the stretch, and I am a seed maker, and GLT is an unnatural light cycle.

However when resources are in play such as generators, or efficiency I believe you can still employ GLT and succeed in a decent veg cycle.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I think my "stretch" definition is what is confusing. I should have specified more that it is the node distance that can be helped. That is what got me excited about it, really nice tight nodes...when it was explained to me it was as a method to help keep gangly sativas a bit more in check.

Will be employing the method regardless, just getting in and getting your hands dirty has always been a favorite way of learning. Planning on not doing huge gangly sativas this time, so more or less stretch shouldn't matter all that much and will stay manageable.

fishwater

fishwater

I am gonna mainline 2 on my next run and FULLY implement the Gas Lantern Routine !
I am at 3 weeks of flower now and am using the diminishing light schedule.
20151105 070101 resized
20151105 070108 resized
20151105 070130 resized

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
Caveman is my uncle and I'm one of the cavemen that use these ancient techniques. Keep in mynd that sufficcient lighting is crucial with this approach. I would not cut any corners, if your on the fence about if there is enough light in a corner or deep in the canopy, I would arrange your plants to be confident that enough light is hitting the plant. Flo's will work to interrupt the dark but I would use the same wattage as day not any less....IME this (glr, dls, tlo,)approach to growing is superior in unlocking plants full potential. Peace and cavemen grease!
Let him know we miss having him around.
Peace

phoenixfire

phoenixfire

@ShroomKingOTE="ShroomKing, post: 1553961, member: 63748"]Let him know we miss having him around.
Peace[/QUOTE]
No problem, I'll let him know. He's been super busy on a epigenetics project building soils and experimenting with rebuilding soils. I wish he would grow again but I imagine he's waiting for the right opportunity.
All though my account is super slow, lagging tremendously, I'll relay any messages. I'm sure he'll conjure up
A smile for the farmer family.

epitome

epitome

Yes this helps with cutting the stretch down ...
Love the Avatar, I hope you don't mind my imposition? I been following that tree mason avatar for awhile now but was not never invited formerly, I figured I would just join myself into this treemason idea to find out if it's really a "thing"....by the way I want to grow soon using this Gas Lantern Routine and Diminishing light flower schedule @caveman4.20 hope you don't mind me posting up some contributions...peace and GLR grease

N

NYCOGrower

I am actually looking for someone qualified to enlighten me also...this is the limited amount that i know.
veg. 12 on 51/2off 1on 51/2 off =24hrs
Flower 11 on 13 off

id like to here experienced experimenters and those with an opinion...

I gotta do some research before jumping into this one, what got me interested is a Botany nerd friend mentioned it but i didnt want to reveal my interest. He claims this fills the plant with flowering hormones and that hour inturruption in the veg. keeps the plant from sexing. The flowering time removes that hour of interuption allowing the plant to sex and flourish with an overload of natural flowering hormones.

My main concern is how males grow in this environment i dont need no superfast growing male pollinating everything over night>?
well its a fact your plants grow more in the dark they use there energy to soak up light energy then in the dark they use that energy to grow plus it cuts down on your electric bill esp when your pushin 1000w hps

xavier7995

xavier7995

Going with 8 on then 4 off; trying to push some plants back to full healthy veg growth after they revegged and this seemed like a good approach to get "time" to pass to get them back to where I want them. Curious how it will pan out. My thought was that the 3 weeks or so it takes a plant to get back to growing could be reduced by fitting more "days" that have a light and dark cycle into the 24 hour period.

Azreal

Azreal

well its a fact your plants grow more in the dark they use there energy to soak up light energy then in the dark they use that energy to grow plus it cuts down on your electric bill esp when your pushin 1000w hps
Could you point us to a link about that fact? I'm highly interested in this subject!

Psychonaut47

Psychonaut47

Wow you know somethings you have to just keep secret for the sake of mastering first before revealing it as help and your getting warm to something else im trying and if it works towards my goal of getting more with less then ill share it... basically trying to not replicate but attempt to mimmick the night cycle etc...

Was it worth it? Did anyone accuse you of sabotage and thinning out the competition LuLZ?

epitome

epitome

I will be posting up my GLR pics soon growing both in sattie dominant and indica dominant plants then off to the Diminished light schedule staring and finishing with 10 on 14 off...

lino

lino

This is one of my favorite threads of all time, But disclaimer, lighting is not my specialty. So I dont comment here much, in fact my 1st comments on this thread yrs ago was in confusion as I didnt read enough of the thread to have a clear understanding.
I have worked with light leaks, dim lights, lite cycles , seen plant budding in ppl frt room with the TV next to the plant, and with that said I had lite cycle debates with very smart plant botanists and this is my 2 cents I dont think the scientist understand some of the things I'm mentioning about cannabis... Scientist have tried to put cannabis in this little bottle of a classifications.
Very experienced breeders will tell you that cannabis plants can vary HUGE in so many traits (water/nute consumption, lighting, etc), I have shown to ppl that cannabis transpiration rates vary from strain to strain and even plant to plant... At different times in the light cycles plants will have different requirements.
Sun and shade
It takes new Gorilla Growers a while before they realize what strains like direct sun and the strains that stress or even wilt in direct sun. Once put in some mild shade and that strain is happier. While other outdoor strains dont seem bothered by 90` sun and seem to grow during these stressful heat periods. This tells me that some cannabis plants have certain stoma's that remain open OR all the stomata vary in how much they open during day lite and high heat, and then to make cannabis plants harder to scientific classify I seen variance in night cycle growth and stoma reactions IMO, especially with pure ruderalis strains. Some Ruddy crosses seem to take on sun well and appear to have very different reactions to diminished light cycles.
That leads me into presenting to very smart ppl, this would mean that cannabis could poss be classed a C3 and C4???
Then I kick back and watch the smart ppl throw down a good ol debate on cannabis classification, works everytime...

With all that bull shit I just blabbed here is fun fact about cannabis and the way Plants EYEs work. A plant's mind does not know how long the lites have been on.... Get that Clear. Again, A Plant can NOT remember how long the lites have been on... Fact JACK!
Plants know when and how long the lites have been off, They remember this ! I can prove it with a hormone test. And the ol flash of lite test can produce some crazy results and show herm zygosity in plants, most which you will not like But it does prove many other things and will produce the holy grail plant now and then but you dont want that.
This is my slide used in heterozygous herm breeding guide and some other self-pollination breeding stuff.
Plant hierarchy of defining class of plants, plants are classified into Short Day and Long Day plant. Where and what class does a Ruddy fall into? Now throw diminishing lite into the equation and my head spinning.... The other day I noticed a strain that loves lots of light in the room during nite cycle in Veg, I leave the door open on nite cycle and lite blast in the room and some plants are luving it in Veg cycle. I put together RSGC, just plastic on the ground, and the seedling and small plants blew up from a certain spectrum of plastic on the ground, dbl growth rates-wtf, lighting is not understood yet, look at the Crooks Radiometer, 1800's technology and no one can explain it WITH PROOF yet, so we dont know and understand how lite works yet.
Photoperiod2

Top Bottom