The Perfect Led Grow Light / Lite

• Thread starter JWM2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Does the perfect LED grow light already exist?

• Total voters
H

hawkman

Rapidled is maybe the easiest place I know to order from since they will also help you with questions. I bought all my stuff off of digikey, which is probably a little cheaper but you need to know what you want when you go that way.
Rapidled.com
Digikey.com
I believe arrow.com also but the same applies like at digi key (you'll need to know what you want.)

I've done minimal research in the past 3 months. But PLC (pacificlightconcepts) makes fantastic booster strips but are out of stock alot of the time. They make a cob light that isnt outrageously priced either with good quality LEDs.

Also horticulture lighting group makes semi pre assembled lights that are pretty plug and play.

For a 44" long strip I believe mine were $15 or $20 a piece for 20 strips that if I ran a little harder could cover a 4x8 but I'm using it in a 4x4 with a little over a inch gap between strips.

One thing is dont buy into hype. Kind led, well maybe they've change in 3 months but for years prior were absolute over priced junk. Not all LEDs were created equal :)
You got good results using the strips ? didn't think they would work very good ? I guess with spacing about 1 inch might work ? Kind light is ? - thanks ever hear of California Light Works "( they have a system call (solar something_ you can change light spectrum in relation to the stage of growth - seems good - interesting, the also" Lumigrow" which has the same ability. ever consider just "red" spectrum panels to compliment your over head lighting? have use fullspectrum panel's for sidelighting with good yields of about 15% more *look under led stripes" at amazon ?

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

You got good results using the strips ? didn't think they would work very good ? I guess with spacing about 1 inch might work ? Kind light is ? - thanks ever hear of California Light Works "( they have a system call (solar something_ you can change light spectrum in relation to the stage of growth - seems good - interesting, the also" Lumigrow" which has the same ability. ever consider just "red" spectrum panels to compliment your over head lighting? have use fullspectrum panel's for sidelighting with good yields of about 15% more *look under led stripes" at amazon ?
Strips work just fine.
DSCN1024

DieselDuds

DieselDuds

I believe with the new full spectrum now available and the breakthrough engineering from fluence bioengineering they have produced a great product. Efficient , and putting out numbers that are unbelievable. I know each strain dependent on where in the world it originated from also depends on what spectrum the plant would ideally like . So the perfect light isn't available yet but with the technology, modular design and everything. Fluence is the way I'm going

F

FutureGrower

Well I designed 2 or 3 different COB setups before designing and pulling the plug on my strips. There are a few factors when selecting the type of LED you use. Samsung bridgelux and cree are the 3 biggest names to my knowledge for the DIY side of things. But I would also suggest looking into PLC strips too as they have a cool configuration but I believe is normally sold out.

If you're comfortable building stuff it's by far the cheapest way to go. Look up samsung strips they have.

If you arent you want to purchase something from horticulture lighting group or pacificlightconcepts or one of the other brands that have probably popped up in my lapse of research. (3-4 months but that's a long time in lighting with it's current advancements.)

I have heard of California light works but I cannot remember if they have quality LED diodes or not.

F

FutureGrower

Oh and the strips I like better than COBs for 2 reasons. I believe it has a superior light spread (I dont have very many shadows through my canopy at all) and since the diodes are further spread apart covering the same area there's a lot less heat

F

FutureGrower

The one other thing I will mention. If you are looking into viparspectras or something go with a de hps or CMH they will outperform cheap LEDs. Unless they have gotten better in the last new months... big caveat lol

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Anyone happen to have a link to some reliable places to order either QB or cree diy kits? Helping build out a setup for a buddy and thinking of sticking LEDs in rather than traditional hps...and i dont know a whole lot about leds other than they are finally competitive. Just looking to light up a 4x4 or 5x5 so nothing crazy and trying to keep costs down for him.

As people have already mentioned HLG is the best source for boards. You could also try Timber lighting, they do mostly cobs, but it’s another option for you to consider.

H

hawkman

presently - 2 - Galaxyhydro 300 watters in a 2by3 space along with 2 12by12 full spectrum panels (45 watt) side lighting, Going to get a few all blue spectrum to use in flower the last 4 day of - this increase essential oils and terpene's production then going to use just "red" spectrum in flower along with over head LED's Going to up- date with California Light Works or Lumigrow (saving money) Have looked at Cree's before will look again might be cheaper than the one's I mentioned

New school

New school

presently - 2 - Galaxyhydro 300 watters in a 2by3 space along with 2 12by12 full spectrum panels (45 watt) side lighting, Going to get a few all blue spectrum to use in flower the last 4 day of - this increase essential oils and terpene's production then going to use just "red" spectrum in flower along with over head LED's Going to up- date with California Light Works or Lumigrow (saving money) Have looked at Cree's before will look again might be cheaper than the one's I mentioned
Take a look at the Luminous cxm-22 50v but $19 ea.

hillbil

hillbil

Veg: A51 XGS190 at 130 watt setting.

Flower (5'x2.5'): Northern Grow Lights 190 watt 1818 3500k 90 cri
Optic 120 vero 18 3500k
A51 W90 4000k vero 29
A51 SGS 160

Reserve: A51 R/W 75

Panels are probably obsolete and not worth much and still do well enough to still use. No failures in 5 years. The COBs do very well. Won’t replace ‘till they fail or some “Quantum “ leap occurs with lights.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

It is genius business the golden colorado guys invented while the price of weed drops.

Diy hobby light building. Genius I tells ya! Could never have happened without youtube and the forums.

Too bad the diy prices are still way artificially inflated. And the tech will keep improving.

Latest posts

Top Bottom