The Secrete To Growing Big Buds That Swell

• Thread starter Judaz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Judaz

Judaz

Everyone generally thinks that the secrete to growing big buds and getting them to swell in the last few weeks lies in some sort of special nutrient. I can tell you from experience that there is no special nutrient or formula that will help you accomplish this. In fact, I’ve grown the biggest dense buds with minimal nutrients in the last few weeks.

If you want your buds to get big then you must monitor your leaf temps with a infrared thermometer. You must not let your leaf temps exceed 80 degrees Fahrenheit. If you manage your leaf temps correctly and feed your plants just enough to keep them at balance, then and only them will those buds get big and swell. If you let your lead temps go over 80 degrees then your buds will be stunted and will not reach their full potential.

Here is a study on the effects of leaf temps and rose size

https://lieth.ucdavis.edu/pub/Pub048_ShinLiethKim.pdf

Last edited:
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Everyone generally thinks that the secrete to growing big buds and getting them to swell in the last few weeks lies in some sort of special nutrient. I can tell you from experience that there is no special nutrient or formula that will help you accomplish this. In fact, I’ve grown the biggest dense buds with minimal nutrients in the last few weeks.

If you want your buds to get big then you must monitor your leaf temps with a infrared thermometer. You must not let your leaf temps exceed 80 degrees Fahrenheit. If you manage your leaf temps correctly and feed your plants just enough to keep them at balance, then and only them will those buds get big and swell. If you let your lead temps go over 80 degrees then your buds will be stunted and will not reach their full potential.

Here is a study on the effects of leaf temps and rose size

https://lieth.ucdavis.edu/pub/Pub048_ShinLiethKim.pdf
I’ve always found my sweet spot is between 75-78f. Above those temps in veg and flower I do not go. Good read, thanks!

Judaz

Judaz

77 max for my flower room. :)

I read in ed rosenthals book that the temperature should be adjusted to the light intensity.

I keep my t-5 veg about 74 farenheight and hps at 76 for best results in growing vigor and bud potential.

I grow with max light intensity using double ended bulbs at 1150 watts and I also run co2. I Keep my room temp at around 77-78 by setting AC thermostat and the variance on the ac temp is around 2 degrees. The leaf temps variate from 65-80 degrees depending if the ac compressor is running or not. When the compressor runs the room may go down to 77 but leaf temps lower to around 65. After compressor stops leaf temps quickly raise. It’s important to have proper air movement. I use wall fans to do that and to help keep the leaf temps on Check when the compressor stops.

I used to run my rooms at 82-85 and co2 at 1500 because the experts say that when you use co2 you should do that but doing that does not necessarily give you more weight or bigger buds. My og kush strain likes co2 levels between 1000-1200 ppm and leaf temps under 80. During the 1st 3 weeks of flower I run my room at 80 and humidity between 65-70 to get the plants to grow fast and fill in the space. After buds form I become more cautious with temps

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I grow with max light intensity using double ended bulbs at 1150 watts and I also run co2. I Keep my room temp at around 77-78 by setting AC thermostat and the variance on the ac temp is around 2 degrees. The leaf temps variate from 65-80 degrees depending if the ac compressor is running or not. When the compressor runs the room may go down to 77 but leaf temps lower to around 65. After compressor stops leaf temps quickly raise. It’s important to have proper air movement. I use wall fans to do that and to help keep the leaf temps on Check when the compressor stops.

I used to run my rooms at 82-85 and co2 at 1500 because the experts say that when you use co2 you should do that but doing that does not necessarily give you more weight or bigger buds. My og kush strain likes co2 levels between 1000-1200 ppm and leaf temps under 80. During the 1st 3 weeks of flower I run my room at 80 and humidity between 65-70 to get the plants to grow fast and fill in the space. After buds form I become more cautious with temps

I run a perpetual garden with plants staggered at all growth stages in both veg and flower rooms.

So I keep the temps and humidity in a stable hospital range but it stays the same always.

I only run fluorescents in veg and 2 600’s and maybe a 315 in winter so I use whole house humidifier and dehumidifiers to keep us and the plants above 45%rh and below 60%.

Using fan speed adjusters to fine tune rooms. And plenty of circulation fans as well.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
In my opinion...ad my opinion only, most operations don't go quite long enough to get them to really fatten up. I just finished a Sativa that, according to all of the sage advice regarding % of cloudy trichomes, color of pistils, phase of the moon, and several other variables, was way past it's prime. Of several identical plants, one was taken down about 2 weeks ago when all of the "signs" were right, and I left one go until today, Christmas. The difference was very pronounced despite the plants going a few weeks longer than some think is the ultimate time to finish. All of the fan leaves were dried up and the buds were taking on a nice purplish color...but the biggest difference was the "fatness" of the buds. They were very heavy, especially for a Sativa, and at least 2x as sticky as the properly timed brother. Despite these going longer than recommended, the color, appearance, taste and smell are unreal after letting these go longer. FWIW, I also left the lights off and temps cool to about 62-64f for a few days prior to cutting, just to keep things from finishing too quickly.
It reminds me of grapes grown along the Great Lakes in the USA...the grapes are left on the vines long after the majority of the plant has withered for winter...but the grapes are at their most flavorful despite being past their prime. It really made a difference and I think I'm going to rethink my finishing process.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

In my opinion...ad my opinion only, most operations don't go quite long enough to get them to really fatten up. I just finished a Sativa that, according to all of the sage advice regarding % of cloudy trichomes, color of pistils, phase of the moon, and several other variables, was way past it's prime. Of several identical plants, one was taken down about 2 weeks ago when all of the "signs" were right, and I left one go until today, Christmas. The difference was very pronounced despite the plants going a few weeks longer than some think is the ultimate time to finish. All of the fan leaves were dried up and the buds were taking on a nice purplish color...but the biggest difference was the "fatness" of the buds. They were very heavy, especially for a Sativa, and at least 2x as sticky as the properly timed brother. Despite these going longer than recommended, the color, appearance, taste and smell are unreal after letting these go longer. FWIW, I also left the lights off and temps cool to about 62-64f for a few days prior to cutting, just to keep things from finishing too quickly.
It reminds me of grapes grown along the Great Lakes in the USA...the grapes are left on the vines long after the majority of the plant has withered for winter...but the grapes are at their most flavorful despite being past their prime. It really made a difference and I think I'm going to rethink my finishing process.

I am glad you wrote this. I always let each plant go until they are truly done.

White pistils all curled in and calyx fully swelled. Buds continue to make resin and mass long after the conventional 70% red/brown turned pistils.

The weight and potency increase is always better. My breeder says 8 weeks and I tend to end up at 10. I let many sativa leaning hybrids go past 12 weeks. They can be trickier to read.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I run mostly feminized strains, and have noticed that if I let them go too long (like to get about 20% amber), that some strains naner up. I had the same thing happen with a GPS recently. let Purple Badlands regular go for 75 days; had to chop as the naners were becoming unmanageable. Results were still great.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I run mostly feminized strains, and have noticed that if I let them go too long (like to get about 20% amber), that some strains naner up. I had the same thing happen with a GPS recently. let Purple Badlands regular go for 75 days; had to chop as the naners were becoming unmanageable. Results were still great.

I have seen these late nanners on feminized hybrids. But they are usually immature looking and have weak or unviable pollen. I never see more than a few hidden seeds.

And the strains contain ECSD and other sativas.

Phylex

Phylex

What about bud back building? YouTube Myth or tried and true? Has anyone tried this personally or ran a side by side comparison?

Reactions: Ina
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I have seen these late nanners on feminized hybrids. But they are usually immature looking and have weak or unviable pollen. I never see more than a few hidden seeds.

And the strains contain ECSD and other sativas.
Yes, but theses were in bunches with more forming daily..I wasn't concerned about pollen etc, but I hated trimming them..LOL

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yes, but theses were in bunches with more forming daily..I wasn't concerned about pollen etc, but I hated trimming them..LOL

I have a plant that has been doing that since week 6 or 7. I keep picking them off they keep coming back smaller amd weaker looking but even better hidden.

I havent seen any sign of seeds on her or other plants. But i know there will be some. Some I dont want. Lol.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Speaking of Bunches..Found this in the rear of my tent today..Had to move stuff around to get a better look..1st time I ever had a full blown one..Bull pen has been active anyway!! LOL

IT B DEAD!!
Hermie Critical Bilbo

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

We don't talk about these.
That's why I said THIS..LOL

This is my 1st really closeup look at one of these..I have seen bunches and bunches, but never a TRUE specimen!!

With all the crap I try..it was only a matter of time!

And No @MIMedGrower ..nothing has opened..In my earlier day (my eyes truly suck these days)....I would have seen them in the back..luckily I move things around to get better acquainted..LMAO

Even if they had begun to open..no other ladies in that tent could be pollinated..too far along..This is another + for staggered grows. I actually had too many in veg..that solved the problem by one, since I was able to move a Black Domina up in its place.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I am glad you wrote this. I always let each plant go until they are truly done.

White pistils all curled in and calyx fully swelled. Buds continue to make resin and mass long after the conventional 70% red/brown turned pistils.

The weight and potency increase is always better. My breeder says 8 weeks and I tend to end up at 10. I let many sativa leaning hybrids go past 12 weeks. They can be trickier to read.

Now that everything is taken down, the difference that the extra 2 weeks made was impressive. Things didn't get any taller, but the fans yellowed and shriveled until they pretty much fell off, and the smaller leaves were showing purple. The entire plant had a "I'm finished" look to it compared to the other identical sisters from 2 weeks earlier (10 weeks). This was a mostly Sativa strain that is pretty much unchanged from decades ago, but the buds probably doubled their weight in those two weeks, as well as got a LOT more gooey. I had some Black Diesel that I let go as long as the Sativa, but it didn't look or act anything like the Sativa strain. It was bushy as hell and the yield was OK, but because it was so bushy/leafy, the buds under the main canopy didn't get the light they need without spreading the branches out as much as possible. I don't know if the BD would be a good producer in a tent or not as it took a lot of real estate but didn't get too tall, so side growth was less than taller strains. Using 2X 1000w HID

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Now that everything is taken down, the difference that the extra 2 weeks made was impressive. Things didn't get any taller, but the fans yellowed and shriveled until they pretty much fell off, and the smaller leaves were showing purple. The entire plant had a "I'm finished" look to it compared to the other identical sisters from 2 weeks earlier (10 weeks). This was a mostly Sativa strain that is pretty much unchanged from decades ago, but the buds probably doubled their weight in those two weeks, as well as got a LOT more gooey. I had some Black Diesel that I let go as long as the Sativa, but it didn't look or act anything like the Sativa strain. It was bushy as hell and the yield was OK, but because it was so bushy/leafy, the buds under the main canopy didn't get the light they need without spreading the branches out as much as possible. I don't know if the BD would be a good producer in a tent or not as it took a lot of real estate but didn't get too tall, so side growth was less than taller strains. Using 2X 1000w HID

I just cut a plant i have been nursing through a nanner outbreak. She made it 8 weeks before I got tired of picking male parts.

She should have went 10 weeks and she looks about an ounce short of average for this plant. Its just an educated guess but i expect less than 4oz and average over 5.

Dont see any seedy buds. Maybe one or two clinging to a top. But i know i will find them in the lowers.

She was going so well. I was very surprised but i have grown hundreds of these hybrids. Every once in a while i see an outbreak.

Still not too bad looking. Just not best work for sure.

5162C632 8707 4489 960F 474C847FDA10
0A20A523 198F 4B1A B64C 4275048FB613
4808CC12 99FD 42BF 862A 31CD7726688C

You can see where i bent the plant at week 2 of 12/12 to keep her ahort and open her up for many tops. The soft tie wire already removed.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

This was that wacked out Somango with all the pistils. She was a 60 day plant that was still shooting white pistils after 73 days. I needed the space, have enough medicine, and was really sick of looking at her; so down she came yesterday.
Somango 1

Top Bottom