The Top 3 Problems With Cannabis Breeding

• Thread starter lukem5
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

lukem5

We are breeding genetically inferior babies. And I honestly believe the nutes we are using are damaging the plants DNA. This is why clones wear out after so many generations, this is why you have strain hunters going into the jungle looking for ditch weed that hasn't been professionally bred ever to reinvorgate their lines.

Secondley, we are breeding indicas. Trichomes dont form inside tight nuggets, plant matter does. trichomes form on the calyx, stop packing the calyxes together, they need to be open and exposed to sunshine so the trichomes can form unhindered. The high is also inferior, we shouldn't be breeding to get stoned, but high.

Thirdly, and arguably the most important and easiest thing we can change right now is We aren't saving genetics. How many time have we heard about a famous strain someone just "lost" or forgot about, or replaced with something else. Perhaps the world will never know the joy of blueberry taste, flavour and high becasue dj short lost the signature male.

Start saving genetics folks. It's easy.
You take a small, tiny clone from you plant preferably before flower, root it, then stick it in the fridge with a very small amount of 16/8 light (or jsut enough to keep it ion veg, for sativas this may be 13/11 or even less) and it will last a long long time that way (with few exceptions). There are some caveats to this (such as spots in fridge where it freezes) which are easily remdied. I'll be starting a thread about it soon.

You could literally save hundreds of individual strains this way in a small glass jar.

Harp

Harp

I 100% agree.
I like to do lineages on paper on whatever I'm growing, buying, or interested in in general. I gets ridiculous man I can't even fit everything on the paper. Once in a while I find something that hasn't been too overly crossed.
I'm always looking for something more original. Although, I believe you can only go so far with that.

Looking forward to a thread about this.

Much respect

K

kansabis

Agreed we should be saving and mapping cannabis genetics,however true about indicas and plant matter,the other side of the coin is that they do produce copious amounts of resin which is why the areas they grow in are known for producing hash and also I do prefer high over stoned but others want to go to sleep or relieve pain,in that respect you are narrowing down the genetics for your particular opinion and limiting others needs or wants,nothing wrong with pure indica,pure sativa or any variation of hybrid between the 2. The plant is very useful and widespread for many of good reasons.

dan1989

dan1989

When I read you talking about the taste and high of blueberry etc, it made me realise what's been bugging me...ALL WEED IS THE SAME. I get a different strain every week practically and all I seem to get these days is stoned, or really stoned. Every once in a while I'll pick up from my other, more temperamental guy, and he'll surprise me with something special. The guys an idiot and never has a clue what strain it is which KILLS me. I'll look at the buds, long and stringy, and wonder if at last I've found what I've been searching for:- a good sativa. In the UK where cannabis is completely illegal in every way, a gooood sativa is as hard, if not harder to find than good hash. Not unless you like smoking plastic and henna. Everyone's in such a rush to cash their crop these days, quality of effect is low priority. Nice looking fat rocks sell. Stringy buds look weak. Breeding is going the same way in my opinion, too many times I've been shopping for seeds and the description states that it grows fast, easy for beginners, handles temperature changes bla bla but nothing about the effect.

I've got lots of old school seeds and are slowly popping them. Got Northern Lights #5 on the go at the moment. I do have a few hybrid mother plants growing, namely 8-ball kush, Budzilla, Shiva Skunk and one other that I can't remember without unzipping the tent and waking my wife. But they are cash crops. What I'm really looking forward to popping are my sensible seeds Pure Kush. Everyone's so into the wacky names they've forgotten what a good old school strain feels like.

Top Bottom