Thinking Outside The Box

• Thread starter PhatNuggz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

But bacteria do better in warmer environments from my understanding. Obviously there is a point of diminishing returns. I'm really just thinking out loud if these new emmiters will allow you to keep the DO high enough to promote beneficial bacteria and not increase the risk of let's say pythium?

The other study got double the yield from 68 to 74. Ofcourse there must be an increased factor of getting root rot or the like but if you can create an environment that combats that even with higher temps, would that not be worth it?
Emmiters will only help if you have a deficiency or inadequate gas exchange. I dont think using airstone and adequate surface agitation from airstones would fall into that category.

Yes you can increase temps to a point to speed up growth but you also increase your potential and reproduction rate of most bacteria. Its doable but at a risk. Exactly how much risk I can't tell you. By all means if you have no worries about losing a crop give it a try. Remember each system is different so what works for one may not work for another and so are the variables like ph, genetics, o2, co2, temp, medium, equipment, bb supplements, nutrients. I can't tell you how far you can push it in your system with the genetics your are growing. All I can say is I myself have always tried to minimize the risks of bad bacteria in my aquatic tanks because I have seen the consequences. And in all my peer studies atomizers have more consequences than benefits but that is with living things involved. I really encourage you to look at the aquarium hobby. There is a shot ton more knowledge that pertains to hydroponics than on hydro sites. I mean it's not even comparable especially when it comes to nutrients.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also look at the breakdown of the plates releasing heavy metals in atomizers

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Exactly my thought. My understanding is that the growth of anaerobic bacteria is what causes root rot not the heat at all. Anaerobic bacteria propagates in an environment lacking in oxygen content but high in heat and aerobic bacteria thriving in a warm environment with high levels of DO.The point, I thought, was to increase oxygen content to combat the forming of anaerobic bacteria.

I believed the point of raising the temp level while increasing oxygenation was to increase the growth of aerobic bacteria?

Yep, mine too

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Also look at the breakdown of the plates releasing heavy metals in atomizers

Like many things, basic information can get blown out of proportion. IMHO, a little is no big deal. In my situation the 2020 (using one emitter for each rez) will be on ~ 20 minutes every 2-4 hours. Even during heavy flower my ppms are < 1000, so I don't perceive massive degradation

BTW, I feed with inorganic salts, which are mixed prior to each rez change, or top off

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

There are many causes of smell in water. Dying bacteria, bacteria breaking down organic matter both in aerobic conditions. Think about this why does rotting food smell? It's not because it's in anaerobic conditions. Like I said you will not come across anaerobic conditions in a water column. What you will see is low oxygen where it will negatively impact the plants processes. Due to that the root may suffer damage and bacteria will begin to feed on the decaying matter. Usually this is where pythium starts to take hold. And in warm temps very rapidly. I think you are a bit confused saying all aerobic bacteria are good and all anaerobic bacteria are bad. That is simply not the case.

Just going to add you leave potatoes salad out in the sun and add hi lvls of oxygen. Is this going to make it no spoil? No in hours it will be crawling with bacteria. Put it in the fridge and it lasts for days. Bacteria have optimal conditions and depending on the type it will vary. The good bacteria in products like hydrogaurd have been chosen for these purposes and will do much better in cooler water than bacteria we are trying to avoid. They do well in a wider temperature spread than most of the bacteria we are trying to avoid. Bacteria is present in our non sterile systems... but you dont see any problems until the ideal conditions are met for them. Temperature is one of those conditions and when you add some plant health issues boom you have a rapid outbreak. In cooler waters this happens much less rapidly and allows you a window of time to improve conditions. You can still get root rot and any temps that we use for hydro but the effects are far more rapid in warm water

In your potato salad example, you are suggesting that air is just oxygen, And th ambient temperature that it would be exposed would also play a role

Back on point: from ~ April- July even running ac in that room my rez temps are ~ 75*s. When I used bubblers, I used 4 head, with 2 sintered air stones in each rez, but since they draw from ambient air, it was much harder to maintain temps, as ell as pH, AND who knows what bacteria/pathogens are floating around in a non sterile environment. I did have some root issues until I switched to waterfalls

Seing the emitters in YTV action, reminds me of when I did HPA. Those roots were freakin awesome

I m excited to see how seedlings grow when soaked and watered with this water

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

In your potato salad example, you are suggesting that air is just oxygen, And th ambient temperature that it would be exposed would also play a role

Back on point: from ~ April- July even running ac in that room my rez temps are ~ 75*s. When I used bubblers, I used 4 head, with 2 sintered air stones in each rez, but since they draw from ambient air, it was much harder to maintain temps, as ell as pH, AND who knows what bacteria/pathogens are floating around in a non sterile environment. I did have some root issues until I switched to waterfalls

Seing the emitters in YTV action, reminds me of when I did HPA. Those roots were freakin awesome

I m excited to see how seedlings grow when soaked and watered with this water
The potato salad example was to show there are bad bacteria that are aerobic. Not all aerobic bacteria are good, there are plenty that are not good. Also increasing the level of oxygen will not stop these bacteria and the biggest influence is temp.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

It's here

Running a test now

I smell an odor above the water level

gonna contact them about it

The 2 small females are outside. I will be watering and spritzing them with this water

IMG 4414
IMG 4415

Last edited:
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I killed the 2 outside plants

Turns out that even though SEA 90 minerals is for plants, the salts are incompatible with the O2G

Tough lesson for sure

I am attempting to revive them but that would be a miracle

I am currently soaking some very old seeds as a test prior to starting my next grow with very expensive seeds

Top Bottom