thinning bho with propylene glycol to make flowable oil for pen vaporizers

• Thread starter endora
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

PoinDexter

View attachment 389553 Hi friends, well I thought I'd report back now that I've gotten a vape device and done a solubility (and vape) test.

Turns out that BHO does indeed stay dissolved in PG at 3g BHO:10mL PG. Very nicely, in fact. And I'm stoked to report that in addition, this method of volatizing BHO is much easier on my throat and lungs (so far) than any other way I've used it, such as straight, or on top of weed in an older-school vaporizer, or actually smoking it, which I can't even do without significant irritation.

I was concerned that PG itself would turn out to be irritating for me after reading stories about people being allergic to it... but it appears not in my case. So this method of medicating is just an all-around winner, it seems to me. The idea that I now have a way to carry a portable and discreet device is a lot of fun.

Note the nice amber color, which is slightly darker in hue somehow than the oil itself was (puzzling, since dilution should have made it lighter in hue, you'd think).

And I haven't even started playing with flavors yet! I have gummi bear, maple and boysenberry on the way. (Some purists might find it heresy for me to add flavoring to BHO, but my position is that I've been familiar with the flavor of hash oil since I first tried it in 1975 or 1976, so I don't think it's a crime to try a little tasty cocktail at this point!)

Were you having luck with no winterization? I also am hoping to avoid this step if possible.

-thanks

buffbuds

buffbuds

I prefer using Polyethylene Glycol instead of Propylene Glycol. There are several consistancies available, I prefer the PEG 300(molecular weight), to the 400 and 200, but all can be used and seem to have distinctly different flavors which could compliment different strains in different ratios.

I don't winterize, I just mix while purging if I know the amount of hash, otherwise it disolves overnight with enough surface area, and filtered inline seems to be necessary to a good finished product. I've noticed the carts need to be filled completely to not leak on the store shelf, so use a small cart if possible.

Mr. Molecule

Mr. Molecule

Were you having luck with no winterization? I also am hoping to avoid this step if possible.

-thanks

I never have done it yet, to this day. But as I showed in that one earlier post, it was easy to dissolve unwinterized BHO into PG.

This may be a bit of a bummer, but shortly after posting as the enthusiastic new vape pen devotee last year, I did a little bit of research about by-products of vaporizing PG and glycerine (because deep-down I knew there had to be some), and found information unsettling enough to make me give up e-cig pens completely for now.

That information was that two by-products created by the vaporization of PG and glycerine at the kinds of temperatures involved in these activities are formaldehyde and acrolein—two nasty, carcinogenic compounds. So if there is even the possibility that those two are in the vapor, it ruins my ability to inhale it freely and without health concerns.

germinator

germinator

I never have done it yet, to this day. But as I showed in that one earlier post, it was easy to dissolve unwinterized BHO into PG.

This may be a bit of a bummer, but shortly after posting as the enthusiastic new vape pen devotee last year, I did a little bit of research about by-products of vaporizing PG and glycerine (because deep-down I knew there had to be some), and found information unsettling enough to make me give up e-cig pens completely for now.

That information was that two by-products created by the vaporization of PG and glycerine at the kinds of temperatures involved in these activities are formaldehyde and acrolein—two nasty, carcinogenic compounds. So if there is even the possibility that those two are in the vapor, it ruins my ability to inhale it freely and without health concerns.

I thought I read the testing temps noted were way higher than a pen vape reaches and almost unrealistic. Maybe @Greywolf can add some input.

V

VapeDaddy

I got a mix of oil dissolved in PG. It was stable. Played around with it to make it work with dripper and alien wire (coils) without spraying all over. PG vaporizes in much lower temperature than VG, but is more risky to the health. Some get asthmatic symptoms in VG/PG 60/40 and I have been vaping 80/20 to be safe. PG hits the throat differently, and most aromas on ecigs are dissolved in this. So 70/30 ratio with this stuff seems reasonable. There are many different devices in normal cheap mods these days including temperature control. I run 0.24ohm deck of alien wire coils and loads of cotton with 90W sucking over 20A of currency out of the battery. In what conditions does the formaldehyde form? I have not noticed anything, but am willing to die for science :D

B

bombreakfast

i just stated this in another post, but use vapeur extract.

PG won't work, i have tried with different final products, never mixes properly. it is possible to use pg when you actually soak flowers in it, and get your self a tincture. and vg works just the same.

but if you already have the final product you will need to use some type of suspension liquid.

Hey, a coincidence. I also use Vapeur Extract it works perfectly to emulsify my concentrates. Also, If you want it to be more potent I recommend Holy Terp.
www.vapeurterp.com

Latest posts

Top Bottom