Time To Harvest This One?

• Thread starter Daylight
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Daylight

Daylight

i got conflicting advice from the local weed store. one person said wait 3-4 weeks. today i called again and the girl said 75% brown pistils is time to harvest. this entire plant branches are exactly as this attached pic. does that mean just the top you look at or the overall branch? i guess the top is 40% brown. the overall part in the picture is 70% brown. the branches are starting to droop, one new droop per day. i was going out to purchase a netting to support them when the girl told me from my verbal description, she didn't see any pics, that it's time to harvest in 1 to 3 days.

i asked if i should cut off all the purple fan leaves and she said i could leave them or cut them the day i harvest.

i asked if i should stop watering and she said no, just don't fertilize now.

i ask this because i've seen diff advice on varied weed articles. my other plants are varied from 0% to 30% brown pistils.

thank you for taking a look!

Harvest1
Time to harvest this one 2
below frigid

below frigid

i got conflicting advice from the local weed store. one person said wait 3-4 weeks. today i called again and the girl said 75% brown pistils is time to harvest. this entire plant branches are exactly as this attached pic. does that mean just the top you look at or the overall branch? i guess the top is 40% brown. the overall part in the picture is 70% brown. the branches are starting to droop, one new droop per day. i was going out to purchase a netting to support them when the girl told me from my verbal description, she didn't see any pics, that it's time to harvest in 1 to 3 days.

i asked if i should cut off all the purple fan leaves and she said i could leave them or cut them the day i harvest.

i ask this because i've seen diff advice on varied weed articles. my other plants are varied from 0% to 30% brown pistils.

Water only harvest individual plants when ready you have a week or longer for this plant and even longer for the plants with all white pistils. Wait at least until you see some amber trichomes.

Monster762

Monster762

What is flowering time on the strain and how long you been in flower? Looks pretty close. Do you have a way to look at trichs? Without looking at trichs you do look close. Week or 2. Colors standing out and pistils like you said pretty much red/brown. Can you get better pic of trichs. Zooming don't help with that pic. Trichs don't look glassy so you got to have some cloudiness. And what type of harvest were you looking for a head high to be able to do things still or full body couchlock stone?

Monster762

Monster762

I was gonna say pic of other plants has a ways. Maybe even good bit swelling left to do.

Monster762

Monster762

An

d you do want to look at overall plant unless you plant to harvest tops n let lowers go further. Some people do that. I wait for whole plant and hang whole plant

stiffneck

stiffneck

You need to look at the trichs to determine when to harvest not the hairs....
I wouldn't listen to whoever is at "the weed store" haha
Your plants look really Nice!
I say 10-30% amber trichs then harvest... :)

King Julien

King Julien

By all means never listen to me but I think that plant has some fattening up to do. I'm seeing lots of healthy hairs in that top photo. May not, never know with different strains and conditions.

Seriously though, go buy a magnifying glass or two if you can't get a jeweler's loupe and get a closer look at those thrichomes. Nothing worse than waiting all that time just to harvest early and waste either weight or potency or both.

Monster762

Monster762

Easy way to tell. Takes 2-3 days to get it. I personally have this exact one and it works great. First time setting focus n aligning with phone camera takes few minutes but after that you'll be able to throw it on phone n dial in in seconds. Take case off phone to attach.
IMG 0689

Daylight

Daylight

What is flowering time on the strain and how long you been in flower? Looks pretty close. Do you have a way to look at trichs? Without looking at trichs you do look close. Week or 2. Colors standing out and pistils like you said pretty much red/brown. Can you get better pic of trichs. Zooming don't help with that pic. Trichs don't look glassy so you got to have some cloudiness. And what type of harvest were you looking for a head high to be able to do things still or full body couchlock stone?
the seemingly best plants i call "local" cause i got them from a local guy, friend of a friend, and really don't know. it's something local guys have been working on for years i think. and the one guy really knows his stuff but there is at least another person more knowledgeable. the two locals had the same name on a stick but one really has extra lime green leaves but the buds look the same. maybe because the pot is smaller but i did the fertilizers to all. (not to post too many pics please see here: https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/post-yo-babies.88134/page-56 the first pic "both local" the one on the right really is that lime green it's not the sun or camera).

since i'm new here i don't want to be like spamming and reply to each of your posts. i do appreciate everyone's suggestions/advice -
King Julien
Monster762
stiffneck
below frigid

i have a pretty good magnifying glass and macro lens. here are the new pics today. my internet has been down 3 days on their end!

Monster762, i'm anti social and anti establishment, i still don't have a cell phone for the Huluwa! LOL!
stiffneck - does "amber trichs" mean the balls of clear/white on the tip of the trichome turn amber color?

i have to consider/research the type of budding, full body, tops only..

what about cutting off the bigger leaves? actually i already did on local 1 and a bunch on local 2. should i completely take off the leaves on local 2? LaCheese leaves are so small it's difficult to cut them off, this plant never had fan leaves!

thank you!

pics 1,2,3 Local 1
pic 4 LaCheese
pic 5 Local 2 with lime green leafs

Local1
Local1b
Local1c
Lacheese
Local2greenleaf
Last edited:
King Julien

King Julien

It looks to me like the leaf and calyx tips have quite a few ambers but like the main bud structure is mostly cloudy with very few ambers and even a handful of clear. They tend to start turning amber long before the rest of the plant is thinking about it.

That being said, with how many ambers are on the leaf tips and how cloudy most of the trichs look elsewhere you're definitely getting close. You could chop fairly soon for more cerebral or a little latter for a little stonier efftects but that's up to you. Personally I'd give them a little while longer and see what happens. I'm betting you've got just a little bit more bulking up to do.

Maybe 2 or 3 weeks tops I would think but the most important thing is just to keep an eye on those trichs.

Daylight

Daylight

does pulling them have to do with geographical location. for example an area i'm in will start raining for soon for 5 months straight. we had 2 days of rain a few days ago but now forecast has changed for 10 days of clear weather but 20F lower than the last 4 months. i've heard of other growers getting mildew but they had their plants outside with no shelter. these plants grew full sun, (i messed up with black pots too small) then i got this structure up and a roof days before the first rain about 3 weeks ago. they've never been wet. but for the last weeks it's very dew wet and night to morning. their house has like soffit vents the entire ceiling, the entire bottom is gapped. i also open up two sides of the plastic when the sun is out and a hot day because it will get way too hot and humid inside if not. but our temps are down now and sun going low to southern horizon, not warm anymore! if it does after 10 days of clear forecast to become nothing but cool rain is that a cue to harvest them because of the too much humid moisture in the air?

they may never fill out because of the fiasco i caused by wrong pots, too small, not transplanting to bigger pots sooner. all these plants started flowering in early aug, i think it was, then i transplanted to fabric pots, bigger, high dose of nitrogen and the pistil dies off and they started growing again. this is their 2nd flowering stage which started about 4 weeks ago. i'm guessing all my messups are the reason the buds may not fill out so i'm cautious using/waiting for fill out as a cue. it my never happen. now i know what to look for, amber, if the sun comes out today! i wish i could send you guys some after harvest. it's just wrong that marijuana has been criminalized!

Greenho
H

hawkman

ready - great looking plant - another way to check without a scope is when 2/3 of the pistal's have turned brown - plant is ready for harvest - depending on what type of "high" one wants

P

Pimples

Ok. Here it goes. Basically youve got 3 to 4 "indicator windows" when running a strain that you aren't familiar with. Each indicator being more strict. First is known cutting or seed plant general consensus flowering time. Ususally gauged in weeks indoor and months outdoor...relatively speaking. Next is pistil coloration...development health and lack thereof. When the "hairs" start to whither..recede..die back and change from a platinum blonde to a brick red ginger color. Think sexy Hugh Hefner centerfold and yer on the right track. After that...ya gotta get real technical with at least a 40x pocket microscope. Usually had from yer favorite locally overpriced hydroponic shop. Yer looking fer the trichome (layman= frost) glandular development here. Its the ultimate indicator and almost always cultivar/grower/conditons dependant. You actually got a playroom "window" here. Once you look in the 'scope...you will notice the little trichome develop into little bulbous mushroom heads with a "stalk". And you will also notice that the color of said head will appear in color from clear like water...to milky cloudy..to a brownish amber color. You gotta play new strains by trial and error then. Only take in forum and grower friend here say with a grain of salt. But the important thing with this last indocator with a real deal microscope is to start thinking about harvest when those little mushroom heads look like they arw ready to burst open with all that THC juicy goodness. And one of the best quotes Ive heard (and ive been growing since 1991) is.."when you think its ready..give the gal another week"...is solid advice. Gold luck. And another thing...after running the same cultivar in the same setup with the same grower...over subsequent crops...it gets MUCH easier dialing her in and harvest time becomes much less of a guessing game and more like clockwork. Believe and listen to what ole Pimples has to say!!! Because I know of what I speak. Good luck. And may you chop the fattiest of fatness that you can!!!

Last edited:
Daylight

Daylight

thanks new posts hawkman and Pimples. thanks everyone. i think it's time to harvest the big one. all pistils are brown for several days and more amber has shown up in the trichomes. though not very much amber in the entire plant. i'd say about 20% is amber trichomes. now i've got to research how to pick them LOL!

Oct5a
Oct5b
Oct5c
Daylight

Daylight

are there any unconventional quick drying methods for people with no space to dry and don't really care about flavor and smell of buds. like oven? next year we will have room but now only one big area of living space so we'd smell the weed constantly. can we dry in the greenhouse or unheated garage? we also we thinking about making cannabis topical oil so then drying isn't so important? thank you so much for all the advice!

King Julien

King Julien

are there any unconventional quick drying methods for people with no space to dry and don't really care about flavor and smell of buds. like oven? next year we will have room but now only one big area of living space so we'd smell the weed constantly. can we dry in the greenhouse or unheated garage? we also we thinking about making cannabis topical oil so then drying isn't so important? thank you so much for all the advice!

So here's an idea...If you REALLY do not care about smell, taste, or bag appeal...Water cure them.

Roughly trim them up, biggest fan leave, leave buds on main stems. Submerge them in cold RO or distilled water for a full 7 days, changing the water daily and adding just a tiny, TINY, bit of H2O2 or calcium hypochlorite each time to ensure no rot, although I never did that last part and had no real problems but better safe than sorry.

The water will keep the smell contained and keep your whole house from smelling like a hippy den. It will also take out all left over minerals and nutrients, chlorophyll, as well as 95% of the terpenes that have any smell to them. So it will be brown to reddish purple in color, smell like almost nothing but the faintest weed smell when broken up or smoked, and will be almost tasteless in edibles.

Once they've leeched all their crap out you hang dry them like normal but they dry MUCH faster and you don't have to worry about it making them super harsh because you've already taken almost everything that can be harsh out. That and it doesn't stink to high heaven while hang drying like this. Generally only takes only a couple or few days to be ready to trim and jar after that.

I use a 5 gallon bucket with holes punched in something that can completely cover the top and just hang the bottom of the stems from that into the RO water.

FYI...If it isn't RO or distilled water the crap in the plant matter will not want to leech into the water anywhere as quickly or completely. Don't use anything but that unless you want soured rotten buds that didn't get leeched properly.

Organikz

Organikz

It's this simple. Leaves should have yellowed off. Pistils should have receded into swollen seed bracts. If your bud doesn't look like a cluster of blueberries in shape it's not ready.
15013769201351986637875-jpg.724929

Last edited:
Daylight

Daylight

It's this simple. Leaves should have yellowed off. Pistils should have receded into swollen seed bracts. If your bud doesn't look like a cluster of blueberries in shape it's not ready.
that's a really nice looking plant especially for indoors, right? that's a nice looking plant for an outdoors plant!

Daylight

Daylight

i picked one about 4 days ago and it's hanging in our living room. the house has quite a strong fragrance!!! we have no space to dry any of these. as you can see the living room has piled up all the items that were in the two rooms we're now working on/painting/new floor. we've tried to mask the junk out of embarrassment. still have 3 plants to harvest, have no idea where/how. i guess we could give them away to friends and neighbors. might try the oven method on some branches, our oven only goes down to 150F. going call Samsung and suggest they meet changing market needs and come out with a "Marijuana Home Maker Oven" with stable temps down to 70F. thanks for all the help!

Drying
Top Bottom