caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Good supercropping video! ^^
Thats what I do!

some of us call it " breaking necks"

tj Wise

tj Wise

that is a solid set of tubes, thanks. i understand the techniques, book-knowledge, but im just not sure how to best apply them. My friend had problems with his trees getting top heavy, and collapsing or tipping over. So i want more weight LOW, and STRONG branches. Or do I? I can speculate, but without experience I might screw things up pretty badly.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
You really dont want much low stuff..
You want tops! We all want strong branches.. I just read a post about weighing them down while in veg to make em strong..
But its best to plan on supporting them with a net or sticks
I learned everything from watching the farmers here..and from trial and error
this is one of my Favortie seedlings this year.. :)
Dago1cage527

Im ready already with this one
It makes it harder to prune..But its necessary!
I will end up with more hortanova netting on there too.. And that makes it even harder to prune and harvest..But Ive learned the hard way, Gotta have support

tj Wise

tj Wise

Your pic above was what I was aiming for before I talked to my friend who had the weight problems last year. He now uses 2 layers of horizontal netting, white plastic netting with a 6 inch grid. Horizontal might make grooming easier (?) He is using 8 ft T-posts and zip ties the nets, tight. You went vertical with 1x2 wooden posts. That would be cheap & easy for me, my first choice. Hmm. I asked "why not keep topping and spread out" and he thought his "clumping" and weight and tipping issues would become much worse. When I say "low" I know they would need their own sunshine -- I was hoping for width to get a wide pyramid shape. I guess lollipop low branches -- on a slant. Probably crazy, idk.

tj Wise

tj Wise

Ken, how do you decide when to stop super-cropping? Do you top also? How do you know when you've topped "enough" and why don't you keep topping until September?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
They are lots of ways to do this Bro. And im far from an expert (4th year)
I plant to run horizontal nets near the top

I was hoping for width to get a wide pyramid shape..
Like Christmas tree shape?o_O
Most pot plants will grow that shape if you leave them alone...no topping :)

Or, others (hybrids) will look like this one i have not topped
A2o2on528

I top most plants just once..and if they seem to like it and arent getting real busy..they I top em again. The one in post 24 i topped at least 3 or 4 times

Have you read about "Main stemming" ? there is a great thread here about that

Last edited:
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Here is another untopped plant I have going
Sourpebbsbush528

Inside
Insidesourpebbs528

That one didnt need topping^^

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
these are smaller ones I have flowering..The two on the ends were not topped
the one in the middle was topped once
Twlitedep528

bareftfarmr

bareftfarmr

Lol, sorry my description wasn't linked. Got ya there non the less. Hope it helps!

tj Wise

tj Wise

Wow, that mainlining thread was fantastic. I'll reread that a few times. Do you supercrop the initial 2 "tee" stems and maybe each of their 4 "Y" branches?

tj Wise

tj Wise

Mainline Technique. Once the 6th node appears, remove everything above and below the 3rd node. Gently tie down the remaining 2 branches to train them to be parallel to the ground. Top the coming growth from these two main stems. When growing outdoors it's best to have 8 or 16 total nodes to take advantage of the light of the sun and allow your plants to grow into huge bushy monsters. This means you will top the plant a total of 3-4 times. Train these new branches to remain symmetrical, imagine a pie/clock/circle when you look straight down, and you want 8 main branches to slice 8 equal pieces of pie. Or 16. For most setups, 8 or 16 main colas is the optimal number. Use a wire rim to define the circle, and tie each main stem to it so the structure is precise. (my summary... look about right?)

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
thats it..works great. But it can slow down some (pheno dependent)
The plant probably wont get a large..but with just main stems..it could probably produce more than a larger plant.

tj Wise

tj Wise

Maybe late next winter I can prepare a crop of main-lined manifolds in the grow room... and get them topped & super cropped, long before May.

Top Bottom