Transplanting In Soil

• Thread starter MiaNunya
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MiaNunya

I know this is pretty basic, but I can't seem to find the answer. I've seen a lot of people start the germinated seed in a red Solo cups. After a while, they transplant to a slightly larger pot. After it outgrows that pot, they transplant again. This can happen a few times throughout the veg cycle.

What I want to know is, why? Is there something that is beneficial about limiting the planter size early on? Does it have to do with watering and nutrients? Is it bad to put a germinated seed in the planter you are going to finish the grow in?

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I know this is pretty basic, but I can't seem to find the answer. I've seen a lot of people start the germinated seed in a red Solo cups. After a while, they transplant to a slightly larger pot. After it outgrows that pot, they transplant again. This can happen a few times throughout the veg cycle.

What I want to know is, why? Is there something that is beneficial about limiting the planter size early on? Does it have to do with watering and nutrients? Is it bad to put a germinated seed in the planter you are going to finish the grow in?
To put it simply..seedlings grow faster in smaller containers until they are finally in their permanent homes. I go from rockwool cubes, to Solo cups (with the rockwool of course) to 1 gallon nursery pots and to 3-5 gallon cloth pots to finish.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I do the same. Plastic cups to #1 nursery pot to #3 final.

Its so you can water to saturation and runoff and the soil will dry out in a reasonable time. If you water to runoff and wait a good dry cycle before watering again the roots will branch out looking for moisture and nutrients filling the whole cup or pot with a nice dense rootball. Then transplant and do it again.

And as said by Buzzer the plants will take off faster in a proper sized pot. When planted in a larger pot than needed they will sit longer while teyi g to fill the bigger pot with roots. And it may not dry out fast enough to avoid root rot so you have to water around the small plant a little at a time and keep circling out. The roots can not get to the still dry soil at the bottom and sides.

Hope that made sense. Im a bit high and in between garden chores. :-)

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I do the same. Plastic cups to #1 nursery pot to #3 final.

Its so you can water to saturation and runoff and the soil will dry out in a reasonable time. If you water to runoff and wait a good dry cycle before watering again the roots will branch out looking for moisture and nutrients filling the whole cup or pot with a nice dense rootball. Then transplant and do it again.

And as said by Buzzer the plants will take off faster in a proper sized pot. When planted in a larger pot than needed they will sit longer while teyi g to fill the bigger pot with roots. And it may not dry out fast enough to avoid root rot so you have to water around the small plant a little at a time and keep circling out. The roots can not get to the still dry soil at the bottom and sides.

Hope that made sense. Im a bit high and in between garden chores. :)
It made perfect sense to me (but Ima high AF too,,LMAO)..here was my nursery a few days ago.

2 1 19

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Like you, I also found that particular use for my old CDs and DVDs..LMAO

Those are just the cases. The dvd’s are in a book of clear plastic sleeves.

And those crates are the kids school locker 6” plastic milk style crates. I bought the whole stack at walmart at 4am one night when i was setting up the rooms.

They looked at me real funny at checkout with like 40 little crates in my carts and nothing else.

Top Bottom