Transplanting Just Before Flower?

• Thread starter OldSmokie76
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Do you think a plant should have some recovery time from transplant before starting 12/12? Continue veg for a week before flip? Transplant shock won't effect the veg to flower transition too much? Anybody see any major delays in the flower stretch?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Do you think a plant should have some recovery time from transplant before starting 12/12? Continue veg for a week before flip? Transplant shock won't effect the veg to flower transition too much? Anybody see any major delays in the flower stretch?

I would give it at least 2 weeks between the two events, since too much going on at once is pretty stressful, and the plant is going to need some time to grow new and expanded roots. Since things usually stall a little after transplanting, I'd wait until they are growing robustly again before turning the light back. Just my 2 Cents.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

I would give it at least 2 weeks between the two events, since too much going on at once is pretty stressful, and the plant is going to need some time to grow new and expanded roots. Since things usually stall a little after transplanting, I'd wait until they are growing robustly again before turning the light back. Just my 2 Cents.
This is understandable. I only ask because my final container for a few plants will be in a large no til tub. Very difficult to move into the flower tent once soil and plants are in it.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

@Organikz I know you have a no til box. Your set up was my original inspiration for this project. Do you veg in that box or is the box set up under flower only?

Reactions: Ina
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

can you lift plant from container it in?reason i ask is ive had several times were i transplant 2 or 3 times before final pot,i lift the plant out of container to see if i have a slight or massive root growth ,if massive i wait 2 weeks or until i see new growth,usally the third transplant is so many roots surrounding the pot,that the final pot,i dont like a root ball but instead structure like a oak tree,how the surface roots crawl on top of ground,if your getting what im saying,you can tell buy lifting it out,if you already have tons of roots around the plant wait,from solo i go with just a few sticking out,1 gal a good wrap but still see the soil to 3 gal pots and final pot cant see the soil anymore,this way when you pull the plant you will see a big ole ball or big thick runner going down like rain

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

In my experience transplanting to the final pot straight into flower assuming a healthy plant will do no harm.

It may kind of stall for a week while it adjusts though. I have seen them just take right off too.

I like to veg a week to establish some more roots first.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Ok. All sounds good. I will be sure to establish a solid root mass before repotting. Transplanting from one month veg is kind of my plan. From there to the large tub already in the flower tent. Just will slow a bit to adjust.

Erick31876

Erick31876

I have a black domina plant that i transplanted to a bigger pot a day before i switched it to flower. It is now in the second week of flower and its doing great. I wouldn't recommend doing this dur to stressing it. I only did it because it was steetched really bad and was on the verge of touching the light in my veg tent. Now it is growing nicely

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If transplanting is done properly and with a full healthy rootball I have seen new growth within a couple of hours and nice happy leaves.

When transplanted too soon and too wet is when I see droopy leaves and other stress.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

I veg in 5 gallon containers of Promix BX 1000w Gavita, or Hortilux HPS 1000w and then transplant into 15-20 gallon containers, go directly into flowering, and the plants are rootbound by the time theyre done. As long as the roots aren't damaged during transplant, I think if you wait 2 weeks, they will just be 2 weeks more rootbound in the end.
I can usually lift the whole 20 gallons of medium by the stalk when my plants are done. Totally rootbound.
They'll do it in 30 gallons too. Strain dependent.

Ina

Ina

I veg in 5 gallon containers of Promix BX 1000w Gavita, or Hortilux HPS 1000w and then transplant into 15-20 gallon containers, go directly into flowering, and the plants are rootbound by the time theyre done. As long as the roots aren't damaged during transplant, I think if you wait 2 weeks, they will just be 2 weeks more rootbound in the end.
I can usually lift the whole 20 gallons of medium by the stalk when my plants are done. Totally rootbound.
They'll do it in 30 gallons too. Strain dependent.
I agree.Why wait another two weeks after the transplanting?I think you will just loose the advantage of the transplanting if you wait so long....Even week seems too much...May be 2,3 days if you think it is needed....Transplanting should make them more comfortable at the end,it gives them space and so much new soil and ferts.the opposite,to stress them ,I don't find that normal and it is not usual:)They should be happy right after this or the gardener don't do it right;)
If transplanting is done properly and with a full healthy rootball I have seen new growth within a couple of hours and nice happy leaves.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah a couple days is nothing imo. I’ve seen roots come out the bottom of the pot within 48 hours of transplanting. The roots love it and the plant barely skips a beat. Like I said it just prolongs the flowering period but not by much.

Stinkytent

Stinkytent

In my experience transplanting to the final pot straight into flower assuming a healthy plant will do no harm.

It may kind of stall for a week while it adjusts though. I have seen them just take right off too.

I like to veg a week to establish some more roots first.
I agree if your worried about timing/scheduling I would just put it into flower after a day or two, I’ve transplanted and launched could have got bigger but it still works out fine if your healthy 😁

Madmax

Madmax

Agree with most answers here 2-3 days is all is needed.what MIMed,james..JWM2 ,Ina said is spoton.

cloudyhelads

cloudyhelads

I flower in a no-till bed that is always lit11/13. I Plant into bed from pots I’ve vegged up. Works great.

PK_Blunt420

PK_Blunt420

Well, I heard that it caused greater phenotypic at expression so I tried it. I didn’t see any change in my yields and I never switched back.
What is your average yield and ive been told only in the last 2 week to switch to 11/13 and it can help finish the plant early

Latest posts

Top Bottom