Trees in a small pot

• Thread starter Cannanugget
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cannanugget

Cannanugget

Just curious if anyone here has tried growing a big bush / tree in a small pot (5gallons or less)? If so, what strain was it, how long of a veg time, what did you use for lighting, and how was your yield? Post pics if you have any.

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

There are lots of grow diaries on this site, have a look and see.

Cheers!

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

i've looked at many, but haven't seen much about people using small smart pots w/ coco, it seems like most opt for larger 10+ gal size. I've had great luck with smaller pots and was just curious if there are many others who opt to use smaller pots with big plants.

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

There is a thread on the discussion of if a large root mass is really needed or if it just a myth. If the way your doing it works well for you then you should continue IMO.

From the test we did with RDWC systems, the larger the root mass, the better. Not sure if that would relate to soil or other media though.

The best way to tell would be to do a side by side test and use one larger pot and one smaller and see what you get.

Cheers!

G

Gaval

dont do it. I took a grow shop guys advice he told me coco dont need large pots to get big. I used 3 gallon smart pots my plants are about 5 feet wide and fall over from the pot being too small. my next run im going 10 gallon pots for more base support lol

Cannanugget

Cannanugget

LOL< I had the same problem. I had some in 3 gals that would dry out halfway thru the light cycle and they'd almost tip over. I had to make a ring around them with some fencing to support them.

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

very common in hydroponics passive and active. lots of guys grow big plants in small pots with coco watering very often on tables.

nellybbad

nellybbad

CANNA NUGGET.....saw this post wanted to ask you how that ended up as far as yield goes? Im about to do the same thing but im worried it isnt gunna yield the 5pds per im looking for...

Illmind - the subcool super soil is great! I've got a greenhouse with 100g smartpots of super soil going now. However, I have been lightly feeding PBP and a few other things. I bet you'll be super stoked with it.

btw... I DID plant my plants straight into 100% super soil from 1 gallon pots after a couple weeks. No burn and they took off quick! Fire OG LOVES it!!
Last edited by Cannanugget; 03-22-2011 at 03:14 PM.

U

UGK 4 Life

CANNA NUGGET.....saw this post wanted to ask you how that ended up as far as yield goes? Im about to do the same thing but im worried it isnt gunna yield the 5pds per im looking for.

Dude...???? 5 lbs per???? I'm not trying to be a dick, but come on...

nellybbad

nellybbad

Let me take a negative s%&( on your statement and say im not being a dick in the same sentence...Yes, UGK i believe with a positive attitude and finding out the right sequence of events this is well within the realm. Get on youtube and watch Jorge Cervantes walk through fields apon fields of plants clearly obtaining that status. Then come back to this thread and say im sorry for being a dick let me know if your quest works out for you because i want the same thing your getting. I will happily share my secrets once i find them out. This is what i call an obtainable goal.. im not trying to be a dick,but the next time you pull your pants down...Make a valued attempt at keeping it in the toilet.

U

UGK 4 Life

Let me take a negative s%&( on your statement and say im not being a dick in the same sentence...Yes, UGK i believe with a positive attitude and finding out the right sequence of events this is well within the realm. Get on youtube and watch Jorge Cervantes walk through fields apon fields of plants clearly obtaining that status. Then come back to this thread and say im sorry for being a dick let me know if your quest works out for you because i want the same thing your getting. I will happily share my secrets once i find them out. This is what i call an obtainable goal.. im not trying to be a dick,but the next time you pull your pants down...Make a valued attempt at keeping it in the toilet.

WTF are you talking about??? Did you read the title of this thread...trees in a SMALL pot. I owe you zero apology because 5lbs is not possible in less than a 5 gallon pot (which is what you asked about the yields in) You show me ANY video with a 5lb tree in a 5 gallon pot and I will apologize. If you want to talk about what Jorge does outdoor and go post in the OUTDOOR thread. No shit
there's 5lb outdoor trees but that's not what anyone was talking about.

J

Jellybean

i've looked at many, but haven't seen much about people using small smart pots w/ coco, it seems like most opt for larger 10+ gal size. I've had great luck with smaller pots and was just curious if there are many others who opt to use smaller pots with big plants.

for sure man.

until i get my beds setup this has been my style so far. pulling 1 - 2 zipper plants in 2.5 gal smarites filled with coco/perlite. sog style. you need more but if you dont want to sodomize your plants and got the access to clones...hey...besides its kush - stacking with low stretch.

1st gro
nellybbad

nellybbad

Im sorry you have such a negative attitude and you feel it nec. to pick fights with people. clearly you missed the relative point i was aiming for. Im not going to sit and argue about it. This is a positive feedback website and im only looking to conversate with like minded person(s). Sorry to who evers thread this is i didnt know this guy was going to act this way.
~Nel

K

kushtrees

My first outdoor grow (had no idea what I was doing) I had 3 coco plants in 3.25g pots all coco, started vegging I think around April under a t5 indoors outdoors by may. By harvest they were 5ft high by 4ft wide super silver haze btw had to water 4-5 times a day to keep em from drying out also had the pots surrounded by 2 cinder blocks on all sides to keep from falling over, they were pretty much like sails at that point, and they still fell over probably 6+ times during the grow.

They got a lil over 1 lb each very high yielding pheno tho

It's def possible but now I do indoor trees in 15g smart pots of chow mix it's great, the pot is solid roots by harvest, but I've been considering scaling down the pots to 10g due to drip rings not getting the whole pot and having some salt build up on the sides, before i do that tho I'm going to fix my drip rings lol

I also know Janus grew 2lb trees in 5g pots w/ all perlite look up Janus treatise on growing its great info

S

S_D

Yeah I only opted for the 10gal smartpots because I needed a large base to support my wide plant that was in a 3 gal airpot and which the roots had already filled. Plus I needed a shorter pot as my room has height restrictions..
But here the one in the 3gal airpot and 2gal pot got put into 10gal smartpots as I cannot water twice a day either unless I automate everything and have everything else in 3gal airpots (which by the way is taller than a 10gal smartpot... go figure) so I hand water to keep it simple.

Here is a pic right before the transplant.

012012 before transplant
Chrondondalae

Chrondondalae

well i thought we were talking trees here :D ended up with 2.25 in a 5 gallon grow bag on that one. botanicare readygro moisture mix feeding 4x daily.

i screwed up and left one of the control box timers on 20/4 at 12/12 flip. took me two weeks to catch it and had to role with it and an extra two weeks of veg. plants got huge, trimmed em up big time and got rid of a third of the plants. funny thing is got one of my best yields yet on that room. i usually use 10 gallon smart pots for plants that size.

Chrondondalae

Chrondondalae

honestly i dont remember, that was from the summer. probably around 6-8 weeks from clone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom