Trichome Evaluation: Never Fails To Confuse The F Out Of Me

• Thread starter DGP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DGP

DGP

So, I am running an Indica dominant hybrid called Cheese Quake and this run was sorted for the larger, faster growing more vigorous plants (my 3rd run with this strain from seed). Next run the genetics are already sorted and cloned for the 2 best plants but this run is 5 weeks since flip and only about 3 weeks since visible flowers. Its just too early for what I am seeing

Already I have a couple plants that have no more white hairs and are still swelling, Calyxes are still getting bigger but no new white hairs and some of the trichs have started to cloud. Its way to early, I don't get it.

Other plants still have white hairs and are still getting bigger (taller) and even stacking some flowers. However, It is hard to tell where I am. As always its a total bitch to get good microscopic pictures when the plants move around and focus/depth of field are so critical.

Flowers should be maturing about 2-3 weeks from now at the earliest.

20180403 1959361

20180403 2000281

This one doesn't appear to be as far along:
20180403 1958311

Enforcer

Enforcer

Pistol color is not the most reliable way to determine harvest time. I don’t even worry about checking trichs until I’m close to the harvest window (8-9 weeks for this strain). My current run has about 3 weeks left and most of them have brown pistols already. More than likely environment related. They look great. If you don’t know the harvest window, I would wait until they stop bulking up before checking trichs.

DGP

DGP

Thanks for the reply, whats confusing to me is this strain ran long last time and the time before that as well. This run was sorted differently but other than the early changes looks very similar to the last. This is why it is so confusing (comparing runs). I guess it just shows how similar looking phenos can express very different characteristics.

My next run will be clones of 2 of the better plants but this run of seedlings faked me out a bit and now I see one plant that is even better than my last two selections. Now I will have to attempt a re-veg after the cycle completes so I can try and capture the genetics of this one pheno that is outrunning all of them.

Dee

DGP

DGP

Latest pictures into the 7th week now:

They look close to me but this hybrid always gives me problems with knowing when they are ready. Calyxes swelled, pistils are red and have died back, trichs are milky but this hybrid doesn't tend to show much amber. Like I said 7 weeks from flip and I am having trouble knowing where I am in relation to flushing and harvest.

It's a real struggle to take these close up photos....
20180420 034537
20180420 042933
20180420 042937
20180420 043021
20180420 043359
20180420 043457

DGP

DGP

Have read it more than once at least most of the way through. The only thing my plants are doing is still drinking some but not as much as last week. Also, wonder if flushing is really the way to go and have read much material on this and whether there is much science behind the idea of flushing....

Thanks,

Dee

DGP

DGP

Also, bud swelling is slowing and can't tell for sure but could be stopped.

Dee

Toaster79

Toaster79

Have read it more than once at least most of the way through. The only thing my plants are doing is still drinking some but not as much as last week. Also, wonder if flushing is really the way to go and have read much material on this and whether there is much science behind the idea of flushing....

Thanks,

Dee

If you're in organic soil I wouldn't "flush" more then a final week. Give them compost teas and call them done. Unless youve been overfeeding the whole grow.

DGP

DGP

Been feeding jacks hydro pro, calnit and epsom 3.2.1 ratio currently at 750 ppm in UC RCDWC.

Thanks,

Dee

Toaster79

Toaster79

Also, bud swelling is slowing and can't tell for sure but could be stopped.

Dee

It's not a proven technique or anything and I only did it once. I left a plant that looked completely finished in dark for 48h. I also gave her ice cold water and left those ice cubes on top of the soil. After 48h plant started shooting new pistils like crazy and bulked up even more. Let her go another week

Toaster79

Toaster79

Been feeding jacks hydro pro, calnit and epsom 3.2.1 ratio currently at 750 ppm in UC RCDWC.

Thanks,

Dee

Alright, thought those were in soil.

Then you've got a 2 week flush ahead of you as I understand.

DGP

DGP

It's not a proven technique or anything and I only did it once. I left a plant that looked completely finished in dark for 48h. I also gave her ice cold water and left those ice cubes on top of the soil. After 48h plant started shooting new pistils like crazy and bulked up even more. Let her go another week
Thanks again! My best guess was one more week but like I have said before this is the most mysterious part of growing to me, always uncomfortable with making that chop or don't chop decision.....

Dee

DGP

DGP

The last couple of weeks been reducing daytime temps as well as nightime temps and reducing water temps. Humidity is 50ish day and low 40's at night.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Thanks again! My best guess was one more week but like I have said before this is the most mysterious part of growing to me, always uncomfortable with making that chop or don't chop decision.....

Dee

Well if you're sure she's to chop after a week let her go another one

DGP

DGP

Been following this chart fairly closely. I think it is based on a 10 week flower cyclet and cheese quake is supposed to be 8 weeks. So, am trying to hit the numbers listed in the 8th or 9th week on the chart.

Dee
CCH2O Recommendations Graph001

DGP

DGP

Yes, but which one do you use? They all seem to have a real limited depth of field at the magnification needed to see the trichs. Also, do you cut off small pieces of leaves to view or capture images? I find it difficult to hold stuff still enough while still on the flower and get clear images.

Thanks,

Dee

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Thanks for the reply, whats confusing to me is this strain ran long last time and the time before that as well. This run was sorted differently but other than the early changes looks very similar to the last. This is why it is so confusing (comparing runs). I guess it just shows how similar looking phenos can express very different characteristics.

My next run will be clones of 2 of the better plants but this run of seedlings faked me out a bit and now I see one plant that is even better than my last two selections. Now I will have to attempt a re-veg after the cycle completes so I can try and capture the genetics of this one pheno that is outrunning all of them.

Dee

I have similar issue this grow. Plants sexed at ~ 3 weeks, ppm was < 300 veg nute formula. The only thing I can think of is I neglected to change the light timer from previous bloom hours, but these are indica dom (crossed male with female indica), so I thught it was fine @ ~ 12/12, but F1s often express wildly. I have 4 each with dissimilar traits

As to when, I finally got a decent $20 scope, which takes most of the guesswork out of when

Top Bottom