Trick to Thicker stems(Help)

• Thread starter MrSmilehappy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MrSmilehappy

MrSmilehappy

Hey world,

Basically I've always wondered between the yields that I have ran how big of an issue the size of the stem was. Mainly because I've had average stems that yielded alright results and I've had fat stems that were more developed and benefited me greatly. I've always wondered however was there a trick to getting the stems bigger in a more suitable fashion rather than just vegging for long periods of time. Usually the trick I used to force my stems to grow thicker is that I force alot of air on them and force the plant to support itself. This method does work but it is a gradual process. Any suggestions?

Tricks to grow thicker cannabis stems

dankworth

dankworth

Add a silica product. Many use Pro-tekt @ about 1 ml/gallon. That and supercropping.
Good job noticing the correlation between stalk girth and size of flower sets.
Lots of light from the get-go also promotes thicker stalks. Higher wattage lamps, and reflectors that do not throw hella wide like the raptors, ochos, etc.

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

The closer to optimal your light/air/water/nute/temp is, the thicker your stalks will be. This thread should be called: How do i grow better marijuana? Seriously though, what you stated, exposure to winds does coincide with thicker stems for sure...

I used a liquid silica product last year as a trial on a few of my plants to see if it would prevent breaks during late bloom, I didn't notice a difference at all. The product was Liquid Sand, maybe it was the brand but I really doubt it. All my plants had a similar occurence of breaks during extra high winds/rains.

MrSmilehappy

MrSmilehappy

Thanks for the info on silica. I do know some about this product and have used botanicare's silica blast on many occasions. I thought I always noticed that silica developed the stem outer shell a bit much but never paid attention to the girth variation in the process. Learn something new everyday. Thanks guys

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
The closer to optimal your light/air/water/nute/temp is, the thicker your stalks will be. This thread should be called: How do i grow better marijuana?

Could not agree more. Strain matters too. The size of your container matters a lot too. I don't use any of the additives listed above, and the stalks on my plants are not nearly as thick as you see in hydro/soilless, but they are damn hearty. The photo below is a Bubba from a few weeks ago. It's quite a bit thicker now.

outwest

MBPH sf

MrSmilehappy

MrSmilehappy

Yea I've ran some bubba myself, but i think I must emphasize the point. I can get thick stems but was there anyway i get speed up the process. Usually when you have the optimal setup then you can get optimal results. Really i just was testing the waters to see if its a chance i could take a plant that I've been growing for five to six months that has a thick stack, and possibly replicate that same stalk size in a plant that has been growing 2-3 months by using techniques or additives.

Reactions: mal
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
What's your grow style? I know folks who use peat moss stones in their mixes because they add silica as mentioned above. I think if you want big stalks fast, some sort of hydro would be best. There is a scrog thread on here where the medium is 100% perlite. In 17 days there was a massive stalk.

outwest

MrSmilehappy

MrSmilehappy

Schwoop - yea its kind of looking that way at this point, but I will find or stumble upon something haha.

Outwest- thats interesting that you've said that because I've been looking at different aeroponic and undercurrent setups. I hear GREAT things about undercurrent as well, but before i cross over I want that consistent optimal standard in soil before i transition. oh and my medium is mainly pro mix and perlite. I used to make my own little recipe at first that was very useful, then i just started relying on the nutrients. Now i'm slowly getting back to adding things in the soil. For instance my current veg room I use pro mix and add earthworm castings to the soil. and once in flowering I was considering adding guano to the soil but we will see

dankworth

dankworth

Schwoop - yea its kind of looking that way at this point, but I will find or stumble upon something haha.

Outwest- thats interesting that you've said that because I've been looking at different aeroponic and undercurrent setups. I hear GREAT things about undercurrent as well, but before i cross over I want that consistent optimal standard in soil before i transition. oh and my medium is mainly pro mix and perlite. I used to make my own little recipe at first that was very useful, then i just started relying on the nutrients. Now i'm slowly getting back to adding things in the soil. For instance my current veg room I use pro mix and add earthworm castings to the soil. and once in flowering I was considering adding guano to the soil but we will see
Usage of Cap's bennies will also thicken stalk girth due to better uptake, better growth rate.
The undercurrent has design flaws, all rdwc does.
That is why so many threads of "WTF, how do I deal with root rot."
I will be addressing this issue with a solution at s0me point.

deacon1503

deacon1503

+1 for silica. I use Bloom silica (yellow bottle). I use the recc dosage, about 0.8ml/g starting at the flip then after the stretch is done only for ph up. Even though H16 has a decent amount of Si already, ive noticed with vert lights it definitely helps.

MrSmilehappy

MrSmilehappy

deacon1503 ive used yellow bottle when i first learned about silica, problem is everyone doesn't carry it. Last time i was able to get some I think i was riding through colorado and just happened to stop by a hydro shop. I don't know if its discontinued but sometimes I feel like I can find Carmen San Diego before i found that yellow bottle again:eek:

Oregon Panda

Oregon Panda

So hey... Why do you want your stalks thicker? What advantages do you expect to come from thicker stalks, that you do not already experience?

dankworth

dankworth

Soil has silica present generally. Hydro mediums do not.
Silica does lots of things, thickens stalks, thickens cell walls, changes burning characteristics of hydro medium-grown herb, changes overall weight upon harvest.
Thicker stalks cause colas that lean less, or lean later, so cola is correctly positioned to use light effectively longer, due to placement within the canopy.
There is more but I am lazy.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
just my 2cents here but..goodd medium + big container + lots of light + ph'd water = good enough stalk to hold up a healthy plant....and lets just say there is never enough light

MrSmilehappy

MrSmilehappy

Thicker stalks cause colas that lean less, or lean later, so cola is correctly positioned to use light effectively longer, due to placement within the canopy.

thats pretty much the just of it all. I don't know the percentages of it scientifically but I can tell you that its worth the effort. Also alot of times when you look at pics of growers who claim to get high yield plant the stalk usually tells the story of the truth.

green punk

green punk

FWIW
Yellow bottle product line has PGR issues, if i remember correctly. Not completely sure, sales guy at local shop said that.

Top Bottom