Trimming During Flowering?

• Thread starter Badboar
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Badboar

Badboar

Just changed to 12 12 time. I have not done any trimming at all. Should I bother? There is a substantial amount of foliage. Can the fan leaves be trimmed without doing any damage?

Indoor clones, 5 gallon buckets. Grown in soil.

Thanks!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I prune mine a week before flip and again two weeks after the flip. And by that I mean removing all lower growth and any budsites that arent going to develop much. Yes pruning leaves is ok in flower but like was said dont take too much off in one go. Better to pick a leaf here, leaf there etc.

Levi7777

Levi7777

Just changed to 12 12 time. I have not done any trimming at all. Should I bother? There is a substantial amount of foliage. Can the fan leaves be trimmed without doing any damage?

Thanks!
I always do my pruning,if I prune at all (and most every other gardening chore) based on the Moon Phase.....NEW Moon in supposedly best time to prune.Some say its best not to prune plants after a couple of weeks into flowering as it can/may cause renewed veg growth instead of full flowering..at least thats what I have heard....:>)...

Badboar

Badboar

Thanks!

Badboar

Badboar

Thanks for all your input. I now have a better grip on what to do. I love this forum. It helps me to be successful with my grow. It was very helpful last season and I was not disappointed.
Have a great day!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
seems so, especially in small spaces

And low intensity lighting.. I dont fully defoliate but I do selectively remove some fan leaves to ensure penetration to the bottom of the canopy.

I always do my pruning,if I prune at all (and most every other gardening chore) based on the Moon Phase.....NEW Moon in supposedly best time to prune.Some say its best not to prune plants after a couple of weeks into flowering as it can/may cause renewed veg growth instead of full flowering..at least thats what I have heard....:>)...

I use the new moon phase for germinating seedlings. Never heard of using it for pruning but I'll look i to that. Thanks.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I don't generally prune before flipping, since the stretch will change any pruning I might have done. During flowering, I selectively remove some of the larger leaves that are covering up bud growth sites. Buds don't like to grow well unless they are getting direct light, or very bright light from reflections. By removing only the bigger leaves towards the top, I can get the buds under the main canopy to grow larger without stunting the plant by overpruning.
Everyone has their own procedure for pruning...some folks damn near strip it bare, while others don't prune at all. The best you can do is what you did...ask others for their opinions and then work one out for yourself that works best for your setup.

Dan789

Dan789

I’m kind of a minimalist regarding pruning, remove the lower most growth prioor to flip, then not overdosing on nutrients, letting the plant use up the energy in those same surplus leaves, which then shrivel and die off. Now almost done at eight weeks bloom.

H

hawkman

Thanks!

Many defoliate a week before 12/12 switch. this time did a defoliation in the transition stage (pre-flower) remember the plant needs light to the bud sites and with many large fan leaves the plant will not get sufficient light; now; going to defoliate in week 4 of flower and then at the end of grow (3-4 days before harvest ) --take off all fan leaves - this helps pump-up the buds and also helps in flushing

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Defol on the way into flower. Defol again at 2 weekish or so after bud set. Then it's strain dependent on if I even defol again or defol 3 more times.

Levi7777

Levi7777

And low intensity lighting.. I dont fully defoliate but I do selectively remove some fan leaves to ensure penetration to the bottom of the canopy.

I use the New Moon Phase for germinating seedlings. Never heard of using it for pruning but I'll look i to that. Thanks.
New Moon is a 'resting phase' for vegetation...lots of good Moon related sites out there if one wants more info...:>)...

Madmax

Madmax

I think a little like that also..i take the lower popcorn sites off but leave the leaves on.they help if any deficiency shows they will help yo determine what is wrong.and how to correct it..not fact but i believe taking popcorn sites off before flowering starts as i do not want to
Stress them in flower and out come the nanners..its unlikely but ..

Levi7777

Levi7777

I think a little like that also..i take the lower popcorn sites off but leave the leaves on.they help if any deficiency shows they will help yo determine what is wrong.and how to correct it..not fact but i believe taking popcorn sites off before flowering starts as i do not want to
Stress them in flower and out come the nanners..its unlikely but ..
Too much pruning deprives the flowers of the plant sugars/'food' they need to get 'fat',as the fan leaves produce that 'food'...that is why,during flowering,the leaves NATURALLY become depleted of that 'food' ,yellow and die...its all part of 'Ma Nature's ' plan....:>)....

gwheels

gwheels

Day 21 of flower i usually give them their final prune. I remove all of the larfy crap at the bottom and shave the legs to a point (12 inches on the 24 inch plants i have currently). This grow i did not prune them at all until day 21 but i did bend and top them in veg.

Some lights are better with a shallow canopy. Some lights can penetrate to the bottom.

I like having less trimming and this is the way to get there. 30-50 big colas no popcorn. A nice canopy that can utilize all of the square footage of the light in the tent is what i am trying for.

Badboar

Badboar

Thanks, I have wondered how long to wait in between trimming. This is my third grow. Did more topping this time but not sure it was properly done. Starting to see the first signs of flowering going into the 2nd week of time change. This picture was taken on day of change.
IMG 0796

fishbuds

fishbuds

meh, i just pick off a few every once and a while. especially bottom ones that are completely shaded out and blocking low lying air flow. and i take a few middle ones too, to get some light and air into the middle of the canopy. plants dont seem to notice me plucking incrementally, but l've seen guys whackin of 60% or more, and still pull ok. so its a learning experience as you go. what works for you and your enviro, strains, grow style etc....

like anything else with these girls, start slow, but most of all have fun!

Top Bottom