Trimming Makes Growing Almost Unbearable!

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

If it wasn't for how much I appreciate the effort put in and the benefits reaped as my reward, I'm not sure I would grow.

I just started growing and this is my second harvest. The first one went so bad, good bud but not enough, there wasn't much trimming and I still hated it. I have an extremely bad back that makes repetitive actions unbearable. Trimming is nothing if not Extremely Repetitive!

I have 8 four to five foot plants that all separated take up three drying lines the length of a 2 car garage. It took me a couple hours to trim, just the major stuff, just a 1/4 of one drying line. Some of those I worked on were single branches. Everything I have left is multiple branches and will definitely take much longer.

If it keeps up like this it will take 24 hours to trim the entire harvest. Unfortunately I can only trim for about 2 hours before I need a two hour break.

Any tips or tricks on making this go by a little quicker?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
There is no way around it hand trimming takes time get a good show or music on, get some fluids, sit in a comfortable chair with a comfortable work table in front and keep your hands busy. If you want you can do the big leaves now and little sugar leaves could be trimmed after dried but i heard dry trimming makes it harder.

MissBotany

MissBotany

There is no way around it hand trimming takes time get a good show or music on, get some fluids, sit in a comfortable chair with a comfortable work table in front and keep your hands busy. If you want you can do the big leaves now and little sugar leaves could be trimmed after dried but i heard dry trimming makes it harder.

I find it easiest to trim this way too. Big leaves first, let dry and before I put in canning jars, I trim some of the sugar leaves off. This way cut down on A LOT of trimming time. I don’t have a lot of grows under my belt but I didn’t take me long to discover this way works best for me.

Dbear180

Dbear180

Hire some help & pay them in buds. I have to have a couple helpers or I'd be at it for a week @ a time. Ain't nobody got time for that lol. I trim wet, standing up straight on an anti-fatigue mat, all onto a plastic lined table. Keeps me cleaner, keeps blood flowing throughout my body, & I feel like my wrists & arms dont fatigue as fast either. Might be something to try.

Dbear180

Dbear180

Maybe you'd like the salad bowl trimmer contraption. Idk the real name of it but it's basically a salad spinner with blades to trim your leaves. Chop nugs down to like golf balls & give her a spin, out come mostly trimmed up buds. I've never used one but maybe you could find some info around here or out there on the dango interweb.

S

Shawnery

I have the trim bin, I'm just whining, use it for dry trim. I'm getting all of the sun leaves I left of, did some pre-trimming the day before. Then I go for any sugar leaves that are easy, usually the bottom three.
I was just hoping there might be a trick I was missing but I guess not. Thanks!

After it dries I'll use the trim bin for the little pokers left over. Then into the CV vault with a Bovada pack. Some people don't like them but I had no issue with smell or taste.

SmokesalotofVT

SmokesalotofVT

From my Exp take the Big stuff off ...then dry.... then trim as stated above find a comfy spot .. maybe get a helper ..but for me I hate to let others trim my weeed lol. and this method also perserves trichs a bit more..
good luck.. and yes trimming is a Bitch but sooo worth it in the End.. :)

Mr Bee

Mr Bee

If it wasn't for how much I appreciate the effort put in and the benefits reaped as my reward, I'm not sure I would grow.

I just started growing and this is my second harvest. The first one went so bad, good bud but not enough, there wasn't much trimming and I still hated it. I have an extremely bad back that makes repetitive actions unbearable. Trimming is nothing if not Extremely Repetitive!

I have 8 four to five foot plants that all separated take up three drying lines the length of a 2 car garage. It took me a couple hours to trim, just the major stuff, just a 1/4 of one drying line. Some of those I worked on were single branches. Everything I have left is multiple branches and will definitely take much longer.

If it keeps up like this it will take 24 hours to trim the entire harvest. Unfortunately I can only trim for about 2 hours before I need a two hour break.

Im exact same.i have a condition called peripheral nueropathy.it saps strength really fast and causes pain and repetitive movements are the worste.it takes me about a week to trim only roughly 2 square meters of bud.plus getting soil in and out is murder too.i wont stop growing though.no way.

G gnome

G gnome

The obvious answer is to get a good machine but ur probably w this being only ur 2nd grow not gonna do that quite yet.

First if all, w practice ur gonna become more efficient so dont get too weary.

Heres a few things i like to do to make it a lil more bearable.....

U can start in veg and early flower by raising the skirts of ur plants and removing the bottom shit thats gonna make for tuff trimming come harvest time.

The next thing is during the actual harvesting process , remove any leaf that u can see a petiole on. The more u do b4 u dry the less u have to do in the end. Imo, its much easier to pluck as much as possible by hand b4 it dries and conforms to the bud.

I prefer to stand while trimming as opposed to sitting down. I trim over a bench that comes up almost to ur sternum so im not hunched over.

Another lil trick is to have multiple pairs of scissors. Keep the ones ur not usin in a cup of alcohol and once a pair gets gummed up put em in the cup and rotate ur scissors. When u take the next pair out of the alcohol give em a quick wipe w a dry paper towel. By the time that pair is gummed up the ones in the cup will be ready to use again.

Cut the branches into manageable size pieces. Dont try to hold a big ass branch and trim it. Assuming ur right handed, hold the stem in ur left hand while w ur right hand rapidly open n close the scissors. Ur left hand is actually doin most of the work. All jr doin w ut scissor hand is opening and closing the scissors.

Start at the base of the buds and work ur way up.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
The obvious answer is to get a good machine but ur probably w this being only ur 2nd grow not gonna do that quite yet.

First if all, w practice ur gonna become more efficient so dont get too weary.

Heres a few things i like to do to make it a lil more bearable.....

U can start in veg and early flower by raising the skirts of ur plants and removing the bottom shit thats gonna make for tuff trimming come harvest time.

The next thing is during the actual harvesting process , remove any leaf that u can see a petiole on. The more u do b4 u dry the less u have to do in the end. Imo, its much easier to pluck as much as possible by hand b4 it dries and conforms to the bud.

I prefer to stand while trimming as opposed to sitting down. I trim over a bench that comes up almost to ur sternum so im not hunched over.

Another lil trick is to have multiple pairs of scissors. Keep the ones ur not usin in a cup of alcohol and once a pair gets gummed up put em in the cup and rotate ur scissors. When u take the next pair out of the alcohol give em a quick wipe w a dry paper towel. By the time that pair is gummed up the ones in the cup will be ready to use again.

Cut the branches into manageable size pieces. Dont try to hold a big ass branch and trim it. Assuming ur right handed, hold the stem in ur left hand while w ur right hand rapidly open n close the scissors. Ur left hand is actually doin most of the work. All jr doin w ut scissor hand is opening and closing the scissors.

Start at the base of the buds and work ur way up.
Do you have instructions on how to shave my balls?
I was complaining about this the other day, my trimmer’s can’t spin the bud with one hand while opening and closing the scizzors with the other hand at the same time. Drives me nuts!

Latest posts

Top Bottom