Trouble cloning

• Thread starter drunknbass
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
drunknbass

drunknbass

I'm having a hard time cloning my pineapple express.
This is my second attemp and at day 7/8 and I decided I'd split a cube Open and see what's cooking.

None have any signs of roots. Lots have a fatty white stem but no roots.
This looked the most promising but I'm not sure it'd ever have rooted.

http://c.drunknbass.com/CzH5

I'm using a dome under a 2ft 2 bulb t5

I also didn't flush the nutes from the mother b4 and that's the only thing I can think could be stunting these things.

Any ideas? Too much light from t5 maybe?

DrCALIGREENTHUM

DrCALIGREENTHUM

looks good to me bro, that white thing you see on your stem is the beginning
of your roots tapping
for day 7 or 8 doesnt look to far behind
I hope you stuck the clone deeper than what it looks in your picture, about quarter inch from the bottom or more, works best and really speeds up the cloning process by at least a couple days

Try using a toothpick or something to hold that clone up from wilting if you can

philly kush

philly kush

B patient sometimes it takes 2 weeks for root action i always wait until roots r busting out then u know u r good ta go if cutting looks happy just wait n let nature do its thing.

hiboy

hiboy

yah let her keep going. tap water works awesome with a dash of a veg nute and or root enhancer.
ppms should be 300 or less. ph at 6.
Biggest thing is to have ur humidity up to 50% minimum. Purchase a humidifier if you plan on doing this for awhile.
t5 should be 2' away
h

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

It's happening.. U juss need more time my cuts take 14-21 days 2 root.. Some strains juss need more time..

Cort

Cort

Keeping temps up. Cold and overly wet rockwool makes for slow root development. The roots take off as the rockwool dries out. They are looking for the water they need.

Also, its my opinion (and I am no expert) that bringing your rockwool up to temperature before sticking your cuttings in helps limit wilting so your clones grow up nice and straight. No hook stems

norcal215

norcal215

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
your right there bro times roots bust is strain dep. i use humidity domes and sure 2 gro cubes and power clone with a lil super thrive i can show roots in 7 days

singingcrow

singingcrow

Good advice from above, cool people! One more thing to add: I've read that a hard to clone strain, which both Ed Rosenthal and Jorge Cervantes mention in their "bibles" (both awesome books), it is easier to clone using the Jamaican method and funny enough, lots of Jamaican strains are difficult to clone (says one of the books). There is inginuity always. Anything that important like sacred Ganga, for sure!

So there is a great thread on this method somewhere in the Advanced Method area. It is "air cloning", might want to see if that is something you might be interested in. Basics (I think I read) are something like: 1) splice up the side of a branch 2) add cloning gel and something to block both bits of the stem 3) cover the whole thing in coco coir and saran wrap, then foil with holes poked. 4) let the new piece start its own clone while the entire mother plan stays permanently usable.

A

ahumado

I can see a root growing...look closely. If you waited 7 more days you would have had a plant

Tank333

Tank333

So, my 2¢ would be to add a heating mat to the underside of your tray, along with a temperature regulator for it. You can find the two at a hydro store for about $50, and probably less if you just order it online.

My wife and I have found that keeping your root zone warmer than the ambient air helped speed up the root production. We usually get roots showing in 8-10 days.

I would also have to say that IME, flushing the mom isn't really needed. We never flushed before pulling clones, and we've always had a 95% or better success rate.

And as for the T-5 being too much light, I have no clue. BUT, I broke my T-8 shop lights, and had to throw the clones into the 4x4 tent under the 1k MH... All we did was draped 2 or 3 layers of cheesecloth over the dome, and they did just fine. A LITTLE tiny bit of burning on em, but not enough to affect em any.

Hope that helps!

A

ahumado

So, my 2¢ would be to add a heating mat to the underside of your tray, along with a temperature regulator for it. You can find the two at a hydro store for about $50, and probably less if you just order it online.

My wife and I have found that keeping your root zone warmer than the ambient air helped speed up the root production. We usually get roots showing in 8-10 days.

I would also have to say that IME, flushing the mom isn't really needed. We never flushed before pulling clones, and we've always had a 95% or better success rate.

And as for the T-5 being too much light, I have no clue. BUT, I broke my T-8 shop lights, and had to throw the clones into the 4x4 tent under the 1k MH... All we did was draped 2 or 3 layers of cheesecloth over the dome, and they did just fine. A LITTLE tiny bit of burning on em, but not enough to affect em any.

Hope that helps!

Yep I use a heat mat.

drunknbass

drunknbass

Cool. So the question is should I bother to buy a heat mat or just build a cheap aero cloner.
I think you're right. Last batch I think I possibly used too much superthrive or my tent was too cold at night. Those I et go about 3 weeks till they shriveled up and died and there was no white on the stems only red.
These all had white but most just looked like they had baking soda stuck to them. This was the only one that looked like roots but I'm pretty sure it won't survive the shock.

hiboy

hiboy

Forget the superthrive for clones
too powerful.
A splash of a and b veg is all u need. Heat matt is a must or set them on a dvd, etc player.

h

Tank333

Tank333

Yea, superthrive is something you want to use on established plants only. That'll definitely kill the cuttings...

Myself, I would reccommend you get the mat and controller, simply because I'm anal about being able to completely control everything I can. I don't like something like temperature to be left up to chance... lol

hiboy

hiboy

the nice thing about an ez cloner or botanicare cloner is that it doesnt require any attention. set ur ph, 300 ppm. I have the sprayer turn on for 15 then off for 15 so the water wont heat up from the pump. I also have an air pump always bubbling in there. I leave the dome off, t5s 2 feet above them. The other biggest thing is a sentinel controller for the air conditoner at 78 and most important the humidity is at 50% or higher. I check the water every 7 days if needed, it really doesnt move, meaning the ph. After two weeks all of them are rooted. Its a piece of cake. IF your really wanting speed things up,,, foilar spray some jump start or great white on them
h

singingcrow

singingcrow

the nice thing about an ez cloner or botanicare cloner is that it doesnt require any attention. set ur ph, 300 ppm. I have the sprayer turn on for 15 then off for 15 so the water wont heat up from the pump. I also have an air pump always bubbling in there. I leave the dome off, t5s 2 feet above them. The other biggest thing is a sentinel controller for the air conditoner at 78 and most important the humidity is at 50% or higher. I check the water every 7 days if needed, it really doesnt move, meaning the ph. After two weeks all of them are rooted. Its a piece of cake. IF your really wanting speed things up,,, foilar spray some jump start or great white on them
h

I agree. They can be expensive though. I bought an Oxyclone machine and have been happy with it. Ebay from a smaller company. About $70.

I wish you the very best!

drunknbass

drunknbass

I agree. They can be expensive though. I bought an Oxyclone machine and have been happy with it. Ebay from a smaller company. About $70.

I wish you the very best!

yea ive seen that cloner but youre the first person to say they had one and liked it.
i do have some vitagrow foliar spray but forgot to use it this last batch. I have the parents in 12/12 for about 8 days now so its about time to do some 'thinning' and i can try another round of clones. they were misted with just 6.5 phed tap water and some anti wilt stuff.

and i only used superthrive in the bucket the cuttings sat in till i was done cutting and started getting them prepped for cloning. i only used 1 drop (~.75 ml) last time in a gallon of water. i think i added a little bit of nitrozine also (4-5ml)

A

ahumado

what I do is I use the heat mat but I double up the plastic tray and the extra thickness keeps the temps perfect.

Top Bottom