Trunk Of Plant Oozing Liquid, Please Help!!!

• Thread starter Opafarms
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

Opafarms

Hello, so I am am experienced cannabis cultivator. Been growing for over 10 years large commercial here in central california. My outdoor plants went in early this year and are looking beautiful. Now 2 weeks after transplant I have noticed at this point 6 of them are oozing liquid at the trunk of the plants. The canopy looks green and great but the trunks are literally squirting liquid out of them. I imagine they will soon mold and get sicker. I have never seen this in my life. I am totally mystified. Any thoughts? The trunk is not discolored like stem rot. Seen that many times. Trunk looks fine plant looks fine only a clear liquid is gushing out of trunk and I imagine death will soon follow....

O

Opafarms

First image is a trunk that I did not too open, the others are trunks that were gushing liquid so I opened them and exposed the liquid. You will notice a white ooze and liquid coming out. The plants still appear healthy other than this odd occurrence.....please help..

IMG 20180523 225312032
IMG 20180523 225308136
IMG 20180523 225203167
IMG 20180523 225354067
O

Opafarms

So it's not the first image but you can see one pic of untouched trunk other pics of opened trunk with white ooze coming out. It started clear then turned white...please help?!!! Infinite gratitude and friendship to whoever can solve this issue...

IMG 20180523 225247905
MW7945

MW7945

Not really a big deal assuming everything else looks fine

Ar.BsG

Ar.BsG

I'm thinking your seeing sap . I think it's called gutitation . I'd seal the wounds up with wax or you may have a insect problem .

O

Opafarms

I'm thinking your seeing sap . I think it's called gutitation . I'd seal the wounds up with wax or you may have a insect problem .
Well thing is the bark completely detached from trunk. The liquid has been oozing for a week. I'm talking gushing like it squirted a couple feet when I squeezed it. If insects which type? I don't see any.. the wound you see I opened myself to inspect where the gushing was coming from. I have found on 7?6 plants so far but concerned it will spread. My thoughts were possibly nematodes?

bongzaway

bongzaway

Yep that's guttitation. The stems are loaded with water. And yeah if ya squeeze them they jizz all over the place. i just wrap the trunk/stem tightly with masking tape to keep ants and pests off it.

Ants love that shit and then the ants attract other fukn pests. Keep an eye on it, you should be fine. Also look close and make sure nothing is chomping at the base of the trunk. For outdoor grows I wrap my trucks in tinfoil and wire mesh. in the past I've had mice and little critters nibbling on the trunks. lil bastages killed one plant overnight. I never leave my plant trunks exposed anymore.

Make sure plants are getting their nutes properly too.

Are these all the same strain ? If so, could be a genetic/weakness thing. or a deficiency.

Last edited:
O

Opafarms

Nutes are good and so far no wood rats. Wow you seem pretty confident about this? It is interesting that the plants seem healthy as can be. These girls max out at 6 kilos when done but I've never seen this...so you say wrap with masking tape and keep clean of insects?

O

Opafarms

Thank you for the insight but everything I am reading on guttitation says that it comes from the tips of the leaves or blades?

O

Opafarms

I ripped the bark off to expose the secretion, those splits aren't from the plant...at the base of trunk I noticed water coming out so I squeezed it and found it was entirely full of liquid on all sides of the trunk right at the base. So I ripped a couple open figuring i would sacrifice them if needed. The liquid has continued for a week now. Though it has turned white ish and not as much after I opened them. I found three more plants today indifferent area of garden doing same thing. Haven't opened them yet but not sure what to do. Plants look healthy as can be. So odd. I will trying to get a video this evening of me squeezing and water squirting...

Homesteader

Homesteader

I would get a clean razor and cut out anything that is rotted towards the edges, spray it down with hydrogen peroxide. Wrap it with saran wrap and tape it up to heal.

O

Opafarms

Interestingly it's not rotten yet. I assume it will rot soon because of the excess liquid but it is currently just oozing a liquid and not rotten. I have best results with rot using a blow torch but this is definitely not your standard rot. Trunk is still firm and not squishy but water has built up between the bark and the trunk and is oozing out...

O

Opafarms

But I'm liking the idea just wish I knew the cause or what it is. Nothing oninterent has expressed same issue. Never seen in 12 years of growing commercially.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Even if it is not rotted yet, I meant cut anything that looks brownish and may rot if it get covered in plastic. Not sure on the cause, maybe something to do with barometeric pressure or dry/rewetting fast growth with a cold night at the wrong time? Definitely creepy. If you can get something like parafilm tape, I think that would be best but something like saran wrap should give it time to let it heal.

Top Bottom