Turning your Gh Ebb N Flow into a Uc Earth!

• Thread starter Bubblehaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

Turning your Gh Ebb N Flow into a Under current!

We have had this water farm ebb n flow just sitting around and after seeing the new uc earth coming out we had an Idea and it woroked so here it is.

1st -My buddy cut the 1 inch wholes in the buckets to change the seals to 1 in
Tip : Since there are already wholes in the buckets. When trying to drill them its hard because the whole is bigger than the guide bit. Start the drill in reverse slowly until there is a grove than cut the whole. Other wise you might ruin you buckets.
2nd- we switched the pipes in between the buckets to 1 inch
3rd - We made manifolds easily following the design you would use on any undercurrent system
4th-since this system had long lost all of its components that come with it we made a simple drip for each container
5th - we transplanted our 8 inch coco pots into the top containers securing them with rocks

We spaced the plants 25 inches apart 20 under 4k

1 inch grommet its allot cheaper than a uniseal but a little more difficult to install we use them for all our uc's haven't had one fail yet they go to 2 inches.

DSCN30812.JPG

The room is a little small but we weren't sure it was gonna work
DSCN3099.JPG

Control bucket setup just like uc with an extra pump in the control bucket for the drips
DSCN3082.JPG

350 gph pump its actually way to big. This system needs nothing bigger than a 150gph if I open the pump up it will over flow the buckets but its what we had to use
DSCN3073.JPG

We vegged the plants under t5's and they weren't put into the system until flower. They still have popped out some roots in the first few weeks
DSCN3079.JPG

Simple manifold setup made with spare parts
DSCN3072.JPG

No chiller needed
We only have an air stone in the main control bucket now but this week we are adding a 4 inch air stone to each bucket just in case
If you have all the equipment that comes with it I am sure it would be much easier
The drips are set to come on once a day for 15 minutes

I have more pictures to post but for some reason I am having trouble uploading them I will try again tonight

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

Any updates or pics? Thanks!

Sure, I didn't think anyone was interested. We finished our first run using this system it performed ok. We know the mistakes to fix to make it right but decided to just make another undercurrent.
We are running it one more time before dismantling it without changes to the system.

1st - We used 1 inch pipe which is to small to circulate the water the way we want 2- inch suggested if anyone try's this this method

2nd The containers are to small for the roots we need for the plants we grow

Finally if you have to use a system like this its good and stays solid, but I would just go with the regular uc IMO
I will post pics soon as I get a chance

Glab120

Glab120

whats your water temps like? i would highly recommend a chiller for any under current system it seems to just make life alot simpler. unless you can keep your water temps under 70 degrees i can almost promise you will have some problems.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

I'm interested. What drives that suggestion to just go with UC instead? Is that based on the system differences, or just that in retrospect the DIY was more trouble and you would have enjoyed the UC just as much?

I'm kind of curious about these smartpot in a bucket systems, I've been considering building a similiar project focused on simplicity and minimalism.

Legallyflying

Legallyflying

I tried a similar conversion and wasn't happy with the results. pipes are just too small. Different water levels, clogging, lots of sediment... just a big PIA.

just my 2 cents

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

whats your water temps like? i would highly recommend a chiller for any under current system it seems to just make life alot simpler. unless you can keep your water temps under 70 degrees i can almost promise you will have some problems.

No problems with water temp at all never gets above 70. As a precaution I use zone instead of a live res with a l've res I see major problems

I'm interested. What drives that suggestion to just go with UC instead? Is that based on the system differences, or just that in retrospect the DIY was more trouble and you would have enjoyed the UC just as much?
I'm kind of curious about these smartpot in a bucket systems, I've been considering building a similiar project focused on simplicity and minimalism.

We decided to build one because no one would buy our hydro farm system and we were bored and had extra plants and parts. We are running all uc's some from current culture but we built most of them our self this is the only exception. Simplicity and the lure of soil helping as a buffer for the roots was our motivation.

I tried a similar conversion and wasn't happy with the results. pipes are just too small. Different water levels, clogging, lots of sediment... just a big PIA.

just my 2 cents

I agree 100 % my 300 gph pump is turned down to 20 % and I have to fill the 26 gallon res every 2 days with the drips running . Haven't had any clogs yet and the pipes are to small. The sediment does build up but doesn't seem to effect the plants. In our case we over crowded our plants we should have made a 16 instead of a 20. Although I wouldn't brag about this system it does do the trick with little maintenance and is a cheap alternative to a uc if you have the system already. I have pictures of the new crop in there but I keep forgetting to load them into the computer I have this one

DSCN3254.JPG

Top Bottom