uc vs aeroponics

• Thread starter Door2theUnivers
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

john guest

They look ok, i don`t see any reference to pressure rating but its bound to be something reasonable.
Providing 24v dc isn`t much of an issue, 2x12v batteries in series or 1x12v and a voltage doubler. If you could find a dozen of these solenoids on ebay dirt cheap (bankrupt stock)you`d be laughing :)

J

john guest

Seems you can buy 1/4" N/C plastic 12vdc solenoids on ebay for $15 each including the shipping (item# 350341397454). Not sure how rugged they are but better than paying $44 for one.

J

Jalisco Kid

Seems you can buy 1/4" N/C plastic 12vdc solenoids on ebay for $15 each including the shipping (item# 350341397454). Not sure how rugged they are but better than paying $44 for one.

I was wondering if you ever send in nute samples or at least check ppm's coming out of your accumulator at the nozzles. I am thinking there the chems in the nute sol are settling and separating from their different weights or a build up from converting back to salts.
I build my own aero tanks but we run them at 60 psi. I have found the size of the space for the roots more important then the size of the droplets. We have one we are playing with that has a course screen then about 2 ft below a finer screen.It is in a 4" tall Tank. We want to see if supporting the roots off the bottom helps out any.
Gotta love aero or hate it. I also make rcdwc tanks that are easier to run and less pumps but I like the challenge of aero. JK

jimmyhoffa59

jimmyhoffa59

You guys are a bunch of nuts.. lol I have no idea how to even follow this. John do you got pics of any of your grows bud? Would love to see what all your tech expertise can accomplish. You folks in here are far from stoners I am lost ha. Love seeing tech heads involved in growing its awesome!

M

MediMary

You guys are a bunch of nuts.. lol I have no idea how to even follow this. John do you got pics of any of your grows bud? Would love to see what all your tech expertise can accomplish. You folks in here are far from stoners I am lost ha. Love seeing tech heads involved in growing its awesome!
Im in the same boat jimmy, like reading another language. LOL

J

john guest

I was wondering if you ever send in nute samples or at least check ppm's coming out of your accumulator at the nozzles. I am thinking there the chems in the nute sol are settling and separating from their different weights or a build up from converting back to salts.

I left a tank for a fortnight and found no difference to the starting ph or ec from the daily samples. I guess if the solution hasn`t completely stabilised when it goes into the tank that may have an effect. I filter down to 1 micron on the way in so there are no solid particles. I havent found any precipitation in the tank itself. I did expect to see some sort of build up or gunk occurring but it hasn`t happened yet.

Gotta love aero or hate it. I also make rcdwc tanks that are easier to run and less pumps but I like the challenge of aero. JK

Aero is mostly about the challenge, when i get the new setup worked out the old one will become the backup. I haven`t come up with a way to safeguard a compressed air supply for power outages yet but i will eventually :)

Heres a pic of the new challenge

New aero nozzles
J

Jalisco Kid

Since you are on the otherside you might check out these nozzles.

Some air assist nozzles

This company I use when I install my systems
http://www.humiditysource.com/

Shame you are so far away as I have some tanks I want to make this spring I think might do well. Suerte JK

H

hay

Hello members
This tread was kind of enlightening for me. Somehow i was still under perception that you need accumulator tank or 11ov for HP, but i see its not necessary.
...Hand pumping opens up the door for weekend guerrillas warriors. Those pumps i believe are the same ones used to test injectors for diesel motors. Be careful. I know if you get you finger into the stream of psi, solution will just fully penetrate into you body, is its diesel it can kill you.

...lock of accumulator tank for 12/24v system is a different story.

How do these pumps work, description says it generates enough pressure for 1 to 20 injectors- At once...not bad!! so its okay to have a reservoir-pump-solenoid-20jets=spray?...good info!!

ps: This tread has gone in that manner off topic, but please continue this speculation it has great potentials and i myself would not mind exploring the subject:
Please anyone follow up and maybe show samples of the pictures of start DIY write up.

I see that jets connect with 1/8NPK, where pump is compression fitting...I'm bit confused and would love to see it as a whole on tread or picture.

Thanx Hay

J

john guest

JK
Thanks for the links. Good quality nozzles are expensive here and anything made in the usa doubles in price when it crosses the pond for some strange reason. Air assisted nozzles retail at $125 apiece, luckily you dont need many.

Hay
You will need the accumulator to store pressure from the pump, once charged it runs by itself until the pressure is spent. Think of it as a rechargable high pressure nute battery.

T

TightBush

I have been toying with the idea of making a high pressure aero system but i really dont know what im doing. I actually was going to order a 100psi booster pump and try to figure out how it works when i got it. I actually thought that i could just supply it with nutrient solution and it would blast it out of the noozles. After reading this i am obviously way off. I have a few questions john. What is the best way to supply the booster pump with solution, will it suck it out of a tank if i just connect a hose to it. How do the accumulator tanks work? Does the booster pump fill it up and then it shuts off? how? Last but not least what controls the solonoids to open and close. I have all my money saved and im ready to go i just need some direction. HELP please!! thanks

squarepusher

squarepusher

btw are these the solenoids from ebay you were talking about ?

J

john guest

Hi TightBush
Most diaphragm pumps have a suction lift of at least 3-5ft so they can suck nutes from a res no problem. Accumulators work much like a battery except they store liquid under pressure.
There are two hardware routes, manual charging or automatic.
Manual takes less hardware, an accumulator tank, a pump (manual or electric), solenoid, cycle timer and nozzles. The tank is sized to run for a day, week or whatever you like between recharges. As an example, a 10gal accumulator would drop from 100psi to 80psi in 3 days with 8 common nozzles on a constant 1 second on/3 minute off misting cycle. Nozzles with half the flowrate could run for 6 days on the same tank and timing.

For the automatic route you`ll need an accumulator (almost any size will do for this), an electric pump, pressure switch, pressure relief valve for safety,solenoid,cycle timer and nozzles. The pressure switch senses the tank pressure and fires up the pump automatically as required. The cut-in (pump start) point could be set to 80psi and the cut-out (pump stop) to 100psi.
The relief valve is included in case the switch fails and the pump doesnt switch off.

Hope that goes some way to explaining how everything works and the different options.

SP, those are even cheaper! 5 for the price of one and some change :)

H

hay

this is one of the more informative treads i found on the net. It has build of 2x 24v systems. One straight second with accumulator tank.

I's slowly starting digest the details of HP, and surely you will need more than pump or solenoid.

But i think its possible to get away from having an accumulator tank.

hay.

PS:
i see john you went ahead did not see you answer before posting myself.

you mention any size accumulator....so size of 1 reverse osmosis filter is ok?
also what minimum pressure would you consider HP?

T

TightBush

thanks alot john that really helps. I still am slightly confused on what i would use as a cycle timer, is there any way you could post a link or maybe a picture. An example of how all these components assemble would be awesome.

B

Bobby Smith

Tightbush, if you're serious read the thread that was linked in the post above - I'm five+ hours in and have a few pages left, but there's answers to all your questions (and lots, lots more) in that thread - there's also a link for an awesome timer in there as well (somewhere around page 40ish, if memory serves).

John (or JK, or anyone else who has a reasonable idea), I actually had a couple of fairly specific questions that weren't covered in that thread - my avatar is my current growing system, and is ~6.5' off of the ground where the tops of the columns (and my feeder sprinklers) are.

Since I currently have a 1/6HP pump feeding the system, I'm in the love with the thought of a smaller pump running less, so here's a couple of specific questions:

1) If running DTW, is a chiller necessary? My nute temps would never get above 75F (probably closer to 70F), and if I could remove the chiller I currently use, that'd increase my power savings even more.

2) How does PSI relate to height? I'd love to go the accumulator route, but think for my first time perhaps I'd keep it a little simpler and just go the pump/nozzle route..........I just can't fathom what sort of pressure I'd have to reach (via an accumulator or going the straight pump->>nozzle route) to service 15 nozzles which are almost 7' off of the ground.

3) The outside diameter of my structure is roughly 21', with 15 nozzles...........you think I could get away with two solenoids at each end (each feeding 7/8 nozzles) or would four solenoids (each serving ~4 nozzles) be a better move?

Having some clone issues right now and some down time, so figure I might as well fuck around and dip my nutsack into some HP aero.............if not in this structure, gonna try to grow large bushes/mini trees with it instead.

J

john guest

The pump should have the max head listed in the spec, if your 15 nozzzles are 1gph each the pump will need to deliver at least 15gph at a 7ft head. Thats assuming no pipe or nozzle pressure losses. In terms of pressure, 7ft equates to 3.1psi

You shouldn`t need a chiller with an accumulator and DTW, the nutes dont pick up heat like they do running through a warm pump every few minutes. The tank won`t get warmer than the room.

H

hay

whatsup!!

did anybody experimented with these pumps and ez cloner jets.
-It should not pop them out, but it could give way better water pick up and
pressure could keep it unclogged

i still want to know if the is mist is optimal, or is it closely related to the air surrounded- just like tuning nutes at the feed cycle it could be feed to the plant lets say oxygen upon injection of water until the right before the driest point where maybe co2 of some other gas that can bust the function of picking up water and oxygen in upcoming spray cycle.

so low/p jet system might outperform same way tuned H/P system when i shoot air movement through it?

watcha think

T

TightBush

bobby i have been reading that thread and it def helps alot. I now have new questions hahah. For this example im going to use some imaginary made up numbers.

PUMP
0.91 gpm @ 70 psi,
0.81 gpm @ 80 psi,
0.67 gpm @90 psi,
0.38 gpm at 100 psi

Nozzles
@70 psi .0159 gpm per nozzle
@100 psi .0211 gpm per nozzle

Now using these figures lets say i used a setup of 10 nozzles. I hook up my pump and run it. How would i really now what my systems true psi is. How would i know what my real flow rate was? Wouldnt i need some sort of regulator. Obviously the more noozles you add the lower the pressure drops and vice versa. How do i fig out how many nozzles i can use for a specific pump

B

Bobby Smith

Now using these figures lets say i used a setup of 10 nozzles. I hook up my pump and run it. How would i really now what my systems true psi is. How would i know what my real flow rate was? Wouldnt i need some sort of regulator. Obviously the more noozles you add the lower the pressure drops and vice versa. How do i fig out how many nozzles i can use for a specific pump

Like you, I'm learning this shit by the seat of my pants, so bear with me - that being said, I *think* I can answer your questions (but please JG or JK correct me if I'm wrong).

1) To figure out your true PSI, you'd need one of these:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CD4Q8wIwAg#

2) Your real flow rate you could estimate pretty well (post #18 from the link above has the mathematical breakdown, but it's pretty simple to figure out), but you'd have to account for some variables that the equation can't (distance, loss, etc.)

3) Can't help you on the regulator question

4) See #2 above..........figure out how many GPM will flow through your nozzles at a given PSI, then match that to a pump that can/will output roughly that amount (a little more is better, methinks) at that pressure.

Again, let me reiterate that's my understanding, but someone could correct me if I'm wrong.........

Top Bottom