UC vs DWC....

• Thread starter GET MO
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GET MO

GET MO

Supporter
Is the only thing different in a uc system the convenience of a reservoir? what else is different than a regular dwc bucket, i mean you got all your nutrients constantly available and the roots are being oxegenated do to air pumps in both types of systems, so what is different besides the ease of a current of water keeping your nutient mix the same in all your buckets?
ALSO- why not put the water pump on a timer in a uc system so it only pumps for a limited time every hour or so, this might alleviate the need for a chiller and still keep the nute solution mixed equaly throughout all your buckets....

RollinEndough

RollinEndough

UC is a commercially available DWC system for those who like making money and not the devices involved. Totally shits all over every system GH has put out in the company's entirety.

Nothing wrong with a little marketing and hype to make it out to be a little more. The industry is brewing with much crazier quotes and claims. :)

j wizzle

j wizzle

more DO in the UC due to the movement of water. the nutes stay the same throughout the system, which is also why you dont put a timer on the pump. i dont need a chiller on my UC, but its not the norm and dont recommend it, my location permits it

UC kills it, ive seen a huge increase in quality and yield since switching over, same feeding formula too.

opt1c

opt1c

i've grown in dwc buckets; without a float-valve they suck... i don't grow hydro to be adding 5gals a day to an 8gal bucket everyday cuz the plant WILL drink up the water that fast in a single bucket; trust me i've been done it... major pain in the ass; handwatering is less work

undercurrent is no work; the epicenter turns the entire system into one big reservoir in addition to allowing for a massive air stone to inject even more oxygen into the mix...modular aspect of the system coupled with the ease of uniseals make it even less work and more fun... i just kicked the centers on my system from like 36 inches apart to 41 inches... try doing that without uniseals and with 4ft plants in the buckets

people are just starting to scratch the surface of the modular lids as well; nothing sicker than going from 4 5.5" netpots in a lid to 2 5.5" netpots to one... picking the strongest plants along the way

so yeah; there are a couple differences

i wouldn't use a timer on a pump; thats for cloners; when the roots fill up the entire bucket u don't want to mess with em too much far as stagnant water and whatnot goes...besides when u realize how undersized the pump is (negative pressure does magic) you won't mind running it 24/7

H

halitzor

I made my own 4 pod undercurrent out of 5 gallon buckets and a 10 gallon res for less than $100 all included.

You just need to source the uniseals online then use any containers you want and a central pump.

Sooooo easy.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

That's no UC bro

I made my own 4 pod undercurrent out of 5 gallon buckets and a 10 gallon res for less than $100 all included.

You just need to source the uniseals online then use any containers you want and a central pump.

Sooooo easy.

Got a pic?

GET MO

GET MO

Supporter
Yeah a member named Tex I think it was did a DIY on here, I know that would be cheaper but Im not ready to switch from my drip system with coco in pots just yet..... One time i accidently left my pump running straight water through my coco for 4 days straight, when I came back I was suprised to find that the plants had grown massively with no damage, infact looked healthier than ever, Im guessing from the air pump in my rez keeping the oxegen levels up...

R

RMCG

Sooooo easy.

Same.

Did 4 27g totes w/ an 18g epicenter.

8 uniseals @ 6ea$
4 totes @ 10ea$
Misc PVC tubes, unions, ball valves, fittings 50$

Can't forget airlines and stones, reflectix to insulate, and float valve though.

Most expensive 'parts' were air pump, water pump(s) and chiller.

All in all, cheap as hell for what it does.

A

alyeska

Uniseals

Can you get uniseals from the hardwood store or do you need to order them and if so where is the best place? Thanks.

RollinEndough

RollinEndough

I've found Uniseals at salt water aquarium shops and comprehensive plumbing supply businesses. They're sold online as well from similar suppliers, Google Shopping search results should be satisfactory.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

CC sells em as well....but that Aussie Globle pricing seems the lowest I've seen.

R

RMCG

AussieGlobe Rules.

Ordered after 5p on Friday, at my door today.

Not sure who I am more impressed with, AG or USPS.

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

lol i bet aussieglobe is selling a TON of uniseals right now

St3ve

St3ve

4coral.com is the cheapest i've seen. $4.33 for a 3"er. I can't speak for their service though, I'm just speaking on price comp online.

C

CannaCure

4coral.com is the cheapest i've seen. $4.33 for a 3"er. I can't speak for their service though, I'm just speaking on price comp online.

That's price for 200 or more.. aussieglobe.com has the patent on them and is the main wholesaler in the us..

P

PuFFnNugg

The Under Current systems I've seen have the water lvl insanly high. Guessing its lowered with root growth. How is this done on these? I know there's a float valve in control bucket. Do you just have plugs for the additional holes when you want to raise water level? Seems like a lot of pressure with it full.

Top Bottom