UC vs. MPB buckets

• Thread starter ono
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
UCMENOW

UCMENOW

no need to defend yourself Jaliscokid, plently of kids on here who repeatedly asks you to show your system do not realize that they are custom tanks, and are designed to work for the individual set up however the individual want it to be, its not a cookie cutter out of the box stamp pressed in china or put together from parts at homedepot, and can be customized for aero, rdwc, aero+rdwc,dtw, swc, self cleaning lines, overflow ports, root viewing ports, interior plumbing ect.

like you said anyone whose serious could e-mail you and you two could come up with a tricked out tank. but if someone cant take a look at the pics you showed of your tanks and use their imagination then they probably wouldnt have a use for a system thats capable of doing whatever they chose it too

:)

Really? I think you're just stirring up shit and know as well as anyone that aside from being a good arm chair quarter back, said hydroponics system builder has little proof to his pudding.

Just curious why exactly everyone seems so confident in skills and designs that go unseen? I thought the farm was all about post it or STFU? Guess that's not the case for sum....I think we all just inherently luv an underdog.

Either way, fortunately there are a 1000 ways to grow bomb herbs that don't require copious amounts of plastic and/or drama.

snoopytime

snoopytime

There are just some people that live in fantasy land. I dont mean fantasy in their head, I mean the air and water at their house is dreamy. Crystaly-fresh geyser water and cool forest air lol.

Thats the kind of people that rock the shit outta either of these biggie size tank systems.

Then theres people like me. 1 mile to the west I have a recycle-shit-factory where they smash doody-bombs and the bacteria fly in the air. 1000 feet in front of me is the ocean with low tide algae particles dying to soak through my walls. 1000 feet to the east is an oil-well field with fucked up off-gassing and radioactive gas fissures, and in my backyard is a canal (swamp) with fungus, algae, spores, and bugs out the ass.

So yeah, to pull off either of these things I would need an air pre-treatment room with UV filtering or some shit, but not enough ozone to kill the plants, and pretty much a lab grade clean-room. I mean one that you can open hard drives in and change platters lol.

Even in canna coco with the built-in trichoderma i still get stem rot on 1 of 10 plants (hand watering at that once a day with mild runoff).

So yeah, its not like eveyone on the farm is doing their science project in the same school auditorium. If you live in a clean zone, you are blessed. I think MrDizz, and Coxie, and me dont live in a clean zone area.

J

Jalisco Kid

:)

Really? I think you're just stirring up shit and know as well as anyone that aside from being a good arm chair quarter back, said hydroponics system builder has little proof to his pudding.

Just curious why exactly everyone seems so confident in skills and designs that go unseen? I thought the farm was all about post it or STFU? Guess that's not the case for sum....I think we all just inherently luv an underdog.

Either way, fortunately there are a 1000 ways to grow bomb herbs that don't require copious amounts of plastic and/or drama.

I invited you to my thread where I do not worry about mudding up the waters. I invited comments about what i said was the best quality tank built. If you have something intelligent to say come on over and school me. JK

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

Well the only way for me to give an definitive answer to this question is to test both systems, side by side. So, in the near future I'll test out my mpb's vs my homemade uc's. I wont diary the experience but I'll give my honest opinion of the results, yields, quality, costs, system reliability etc. The first question I'll try to answer is which system has higher DO levels....?

S

Slr342

okay, i give up, what's a MPD?

Its a top secret new kind of DWRC that gets 20 lbs per plant with 2 weeks veg and flower but don't tell anyone!

THat is funny I have been calling it MPD for over a year now and I always wondered what the D stood for lol.

TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

Disciple.- your a funny little person.....ROFL!

Jalisc Kid- sorry bro, had no idea you were not allowed to show your system here or really discuss it......bummer.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
The first question I'll try to answer is which system has higher DO levels....?

that may be difficult. just about every mpb i've seen has done the airstones differently . . . and water temp is going to be a large factor . . . but if you have a DO meter i'm REALLY looking forward to what you come up with.

Papa

J

Jalisco Kid

It could but most undersize the pump/drain. The UC sucks which helped with the drain back to the rez. But in overcoming one obstacle it creates more problems in my humbled non educated opinion. But nothing I want to discuss here in DD's thread. JK

G

greentigerca

Ok, I can see good points on both UC and MPB’s. I’m not worried about getting 3-4 lbs per plant but would 1 lb per plant be reasonable for either system? I’m not greedy. :-)

j wizzle

j wizzle

Ok, I can see good points on both UC and MPB’s. I’m not worried about getting 3-4 lbs per plant but would 1 lb per plant be reasonable for either system? I’m not greedy. :-)

that wont be a problem at all with either system IMO.

M

Max-Juice

i like mpb, bigger is better.

undercurrent has something better coming out, I know it!

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

Well the only way for me to give an definitive answer to this question is to test both systems, side by side. So, in the near future I'll test out my mpb's vs my homemade uc's. I wont diary the experience but I'll give my honest opinion of the results, yields, quality, costs, system reliability etc. The first question I'll try to answer is which system has higher DO levels....?

I wasn't able to test the DO levels in either system but my money is on the mpb.

First off let me say, these statements are only about my DIY UC and not the undercurrent system. Heres some of the thoughts I have after building my own version, using the same 27 gallon tubs I use for my mpb's with 3" pipes, 3 rows of 4 plants with 2 1800 gph pumps. I found it very difficult trying to maintain equal water level in the tubs due to a slightly uneven floor. Roots overtook the 3" pipes early in the cycle, strangling what little flow the system was creating. Water was well aerated and chilled but the lack of flow resulted in poor root health and eventually the dreaded brown slime. Harvest was not up to projections by any means, plants weighed in about half of what similar sized plants produce in my mpb. Quality wasn't quite up to standards.

The system was sawed into pieces, reattached with rubber couplings and is now just a swc top drip veg system for my mpb.

So I definitely like the flexibility of the mpb more, its easier to break down, clean, move around and definitely has better water flow. Both are relatively easy to make, and the costs are comparable but sticking 3" pipe through uniseals, is not fun, especially when you start cracking tubs. I found the uniseals work great though, no leaks whatsoever.

I think my next test will be swc top drip vs mpb vs thompson's hydrus.

growuphydro

growuphydro

until you actually try and run a recirc dwc grow with vertical lighting. then you appreciate things like top feed, quick discos for cleaning and the placement of inputs and drains.

bro, love him or nitpick him, dds laid out a step-by-step how-to for growers wishing to maximize yield with a limit on plant numbers and who want to build it themselves.

DDS's design alludes to heath robinsons design. do some research on that poster online and see what true innovation is.

under current makes complete sense if peeps just want to buy it, assemble it and get growing. I built out an mpb system but cut the rwdc at the last minute and went top fed 100% perlite DTW as i realized i needed to get a few tree grows down with a bit more safety and can't risk rookie screwups. I would modify the spacing to suit my needs on UC.

ultimately I would drop the coin and work with jalisco kid if a) i felt I could handle RWDC and b) he would work with me.

i am very comfortable with perlite and if I was going to recirculate I'd emulate Janus. MrDizzle made a very GOOD case against RWDC over time. It's sweet for experiments and/or a small portion of one's activities... but for me I'm under a gov't restriction (40) and those (40) gotta produce!!! I'm under a time frame too b/c we maybe have a year or two max here before tha program changes.

what made really reconsider RDWC (and I have the passion, budget and ability to live with the plants if need be) was that as time passes (4 or 6 crops down the road) the chances for catastrophic loss increases. Is it because things wear out? environment shifts? pathogens build up in the system that are hard to totally eliminate at cleanup?? (thank you MrDizzle for the wake-up call!!)

MrDizzle has been instrumental. Jalisco's writings (all the way back to the discussions with Reeferman re: Krusty buckets) have been another guiding light.

A clincher was Coxie. That guys room with the custom fab stands was insane. It's hard to spend more money than he did and obviously the grow lacked nothing in terms of environmental control, solution temp control and ability to clean the whole unit. Despite an unlimited budget and the willingness to spend as much time as necessary, he switched to media and away from RDWC!!!! if that guy makes a decision like that.... what chance do I stand??

hopefully, in your theoretical scenario, your crew of engineers would figure out how a tree grows in water, how to get it to yield and how not to kill it and then actually setup and grow from start to finish at least a crop or two. Think of starting a small plant or rooted cutting in the system. Don't forget how important res changes, flushing and cleanup are.

then taking your experience into consideration, start trying to simplify the MPB setup. seriously what would be, say, the top 5 things you do away with to simplify it?

what RDWC systems were you designing in 1983?

if you want to see a jalisco kid system, figure out your space and wattage parameters then begin the process. It costs more than rubbermaid (or similar) tubs hooked together with pvc from home depot. you can do so many things cheaper. Hell, buy an under current and rip it. they are awesome for what they are: a competitively priced system with adequate consideration given to most/all aspects of RDWC **PLUS** awesome customer support!! on the other hand if you have the license and budget, or balls and budget, to run huge trees with huge wattage and you don't want to DIY... who else is there but Jalisco Kid???? who do you call??

why do people who will never actually grow on a large-scale using RDWC always want to see pics of JK's work??? the real value is not as much the equipment (although big tough tanks CLEARLY ROCK) but the fact you don't have to build it yourself, it's customized for your space AND you are going to get some serious guidance as you run it.

it's kind of disheartening to see someone critical of DDs system. by extension that is a knock on Heath Robinson. Knocking Heath is a great way to demonstrate that the commentator has no clue what they are talking about. His vertical innovations, along with DDoc (coliseum and cage inventor) are beyond reproach. (see my photo album for my vertical work).

Do I think it's possible to hit 3 or 4 lbs on 40" centers? Of course not!! is the system valid? Fuck yeah!! Is an MPB better than UC? the answer is always: it depends!!! I like how they (CC) are trying to continually improve their system! I also REALLY like the flexibility of MPB's but ya have to want to get really involved in the build process.

the following pics (and my album) show a little bit of some of the things I've done to date. I'm not trying to jack this thread as these pics have nothing to do with UC or MPB grows but pics have a way of validating the author of a post to some extent.

prep for my first tree run:

(40) cuttings vegging up pre-transplant

group9.jpg

looking ok before putting them in to harden off under HID:

clupgoodlight.jpg

Transplant! (1 gallon hempy's to get roots out into the 100% perlite. later it'll be into the big containers)

DSCN3345.jpg
Thank u for the nice words towards DDoc. I know him. He has worked hard on the coli. The Coliseum can be daunting. Most complain about the plant numbers. Who says you have to plant all 300. Plant 75, tape over 75 and then one month later do the same. I am glad that I am on here to help. So thank u again. Vertical growing has great potential. DDOC has released a new easier system that uses one gallon pots. 48 or 64 in a cube. I will post the videos soon

Top Bottom