Uncle Roms Mixed Pack Mishaps

• Thread starter UncleRomulus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

If I was in the states id be using led most likely. I never really put myself in y’alls shoes until recently realizing the obscene cost/ issues involving cooling. That is barely relevant for me, and I refuse to sacrifice potency as I am not going for quantity at this time. I’m still think people exaggerate the efficiency a bit cooling aside. Gavitas for example are damn efficient and use way less amps than many other HIDs. To match a good gavita or a 315 LEC/CMH with leds you still need a decent amount of juice. Yes they are more efficient but not 3-4 times like the bogus claims. And again some folks notice and prefer the end product being HID grown in my neck of the woods. IMO LED is the future as it evolves but doesn’t own the present like some folks say. Especially if the application of the HID s are multipurpose heater/lamp.

Okay, I don't know who's claiming 3-4x. I'm pretty sure they're not that good yet, but 2.5x, that seems about right to me. Hey, I still didn't believe it after I bought the COBs. That is until I cooked my plants with em. The game has changed. It's not about raw candle power any longer. The way they achieve these numbers is by reducing wasted light into heat and targeting the wavelengths that feed the plants. I just had to turn my 200w down 25% because I was giving my girls too much light and causing them to stall. I can still barely believe how effective these lights are.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Okay, I don't know who's claiming 3-4x. I'm pretty sure they're not that good yet, but 2.5x, that seems about right to me. Hey, I still didn't believe it after I bought the COBs. That is until I cooked my plants with em. The game has changed. It's not about raw candle power any longer. The way they achieve these numbers is by reducing wasted light into heat and targeting the wavelengths that feed the plants. I just had to turn my 200w down 25% because I was giving my girls too much light and causing them to stall. I can still barely believe how effective these lights are.
I did notice that in your journal. Pretty impressive. I understand that lumens don’t mean much to the plants and all your claims be true brother. I have seen 3-4x claimed plenty (especially by tests done by institutions that are invested) 2.5x is pushing it, (de, cmh) but I guess just about 2.5x if we are comparing se lamps or mh. I helped a friend setup recently (just a tent) and he said he felt led is the way to go these days. I didn’t argued and showed him prices/how to build his own and also made my recommendation of a 315cmh in a 3x3 or a 630cmh in a 5x5. He ended up buying 600 hps/mh and a 4x4.. :speechless: oh well. The guy is generally brighter than I am but what are ya gonna do. He will grow himself some great buds, have fun and save a ton not buying it.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

To each their own I guess. Might as well not have this thread be another HID vs LED thread. There’s already more of those than land before time movies, but there are pros and cons to every grow style and light source. I will always recommend cmh first to people who ask cause I can’t handle knowing my bud could be several full points more potent, but some don’t care. Also try smoking some grown with cmh. The flavour and smoke density... I don’t even own one myself but they’ve ruined all other lighting for me lol

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
To each their own I guess. Might as well not have this thread be another HID vs LED thread. There’s already more of those than land before time movies, but there are pros and cons to every grow style and light source. I will always recommend cmh first to people who ask cause I can’t handle knowing my bud could be several full points more potent, but some don’t care. Also try smoking some grown with cmh. The flavour and smoke density... I don’t even own one myself but they’ve ruined all other lighting for me lol

Now, you cant say lets not talk about it and then make a claim. :)

Ok lets talk about uv and ir. I have no idea why someone would want uv in their indoor space. Especially if you’re after quality weed. Uv destroys shit. Everything in your grow area is turning to dust and gas under uv and i bet that dust goes somewhere.

Ir, i haven’t seen any study that shows ir is needed for horticulture. Plants don’t use it for photosynthesis and it only has morphological importance but can easily be eliminated in the favor of more 400-660.

They’re hot. I guess its good if your temps are very low but if you’re living in a temperate climate then an ac might be required.

Quality just cant only be about thc levels or trichomes, there’s more to it. You claim better taste and smoke density. Highly debatable in anycase.

I’m not bad-mouthing cmh but leds are the future for sure. The 3-4x efficiency may not be realistic, especially for poorly made units with low efficiency components but the spectrum is much better in anycase.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Now, you cant say lets not talk about it and then make a claim. :)

Ok lets talk about uv and ir. I have no idea why someone would want uv in their indoor space. Especially if you’re after quality weed. Uv destroys shit. Everything in your grow area is turning to dust and gas under uv and i bet that dust goes somewhere.

Ir, i haven’t seen any study that shows ir is needed for horticulture. Plants don’t use it for photosynthesis and it only has morphological importance but cna easily be eliminated in the favor of more 400-660.

They’re hot. I guess its good if your temps are very low but if you’re living in a temperate climate then an ac might be required.

Quality just cant only be about thc levels or trichomes, there’s more to it. You claim better taste and smoke density. Highly debatable in anycase.

I’m not bad-mouthing cmh but leds are the future for sure.
How many led’s will I need to replace my 2-1150w gavitas?

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
How many led’s will I need to replace my 2-1150w gavitas?

Well man i’ve seen a guy buying a cob that runs at 600w by itself :) Bigger than a baseball, it was here on the farm. 3 of those running at 500w could replace 2 1150s imo.

But the main advantage of led is to go small and have multiple sources of light. Under qbs or a build like mine, the distribution of light is incredibly even. Makes it super easy to get a uniform canopy.

You can go 1000-1200w qbs depending on your actual area and you would be very happy with the returns imo. Need the dimensions to make the calculations tho :)

When your hid is a quality one, more wattage is needed to replace without any loss in quality or quantity of course. Yours is a good one so if you wanted to replace with cobs i would suggest 15x100w or 30x50w and you’d never look back imo.

Again these are all dependant on the dimensions of the grow area.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I’m asking what is it going to take me to match a 30x30 room a 12 foot ceiling to match my gavitas and still get canopy penetration at the same level gavitas or any other cfl can supply?

Nothing will match because no light can grow plants with 2.5 watts per square foot. Why the fuck are cfls came into play?

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I had no idea this would turn into a thing. My question was answered, I only replied to keep it honest. I've noticed many things relating to growing that seem too good to be true but still prove themselves. It's interesting but definitely not worth arguing over.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Yep.. had a feeling lol. I guess I shouldn’t have made any claim after trying to shut it down, but LED folks have a pretty hard time admitting there is one single downside to em I’ve found. I’m down with leds it’s just ya diesel does grow that massive space with 2 gavitas, cause they are badass. Leds don’t cover like that. Us HID users get preached the good word of LEDs daily like we live underground or something. It just gets to a point where it’s like Cool light bulb bro. Mine works too. Cheers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom