Uncle Roms Mixed Pack Mishaps

• Thread starter UncleRomulus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

If anyone can smoke me down with led grown bud that i find as good as CMH grown bud I’ll bow to the mighty power of the diode. I wouldn’t be sad or nothing, I’d be happy as a turd. But until that day comes, I’ll be chilling using leds for veg and having the audacity to run HIDs for flower

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If anyone can smoke me down with led grown bud that i find as good as CMH grown bud I’ll bow to the mighty power of the diode. I wouldn’t be sad or nothing, I’d be happy as a turd. But until that day comes, I’ll be chilling using leds for veg and having the audacity to run HIDs for flower

Lol. You and your futuristic ceramic bulbs. Might as well flower on mars with the ufo crowd. :-)

I just bought 2 new 600w ballasts for half price. No one blind tested here picked cmh bud any more than the hps bud including myself and the plants are too squat and leafy for my tastes. Too much blue light like these full spectrum led’s. That’s why they add the red now I guess.

Disclaimer: only used one Phillips 315 3100k vs 1 hortilux 600w super hps. Multiple 315’s would be needed to light plants better I think. Yield was much higher as expected with the 600 and as I said no one could tell the difference in final product.

In the room the cmh bud seemed sparklier but the bud production only went half way through the canopy and the hps made solid bud down to the pot.

The plants grew a bit greener and healthier under the cmh and finished a few days to a week sooner. Also fall colors came out much more under the cmh spectrum. Which I liked. Garden looked beautiful under the natural looking light.

But I think the 315 belongs in veg. ;-)

I will likely use both in my next build. A 600 and a 315 over a 4x6 area or so. Maybe 4’x5’.

The buds looked the best to me when I let the lights overlap.

I am interested in hortilux ceramic hps for the more natural light like the cmh. But the production of the hps

Oh yeah the 600w hortilux blue beat the 315 for yield and matched quality but grew even leafier looser buds.

The 315 alone has too narrow of a grow area. And it runs as hot open as an air cooled glass sealed 600 so it didn’t really save much money in electricity. I had to add an extra exhaust fan to my room to keep it as cool.

Lot of hype about simple tools if you ask me. Pick the right one for the job. I need the heat of hid in this cold place.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Sorry, lighting hijacked your thread. I did still learn some things, hahaha. I've found Dec on the forum people are bored. I've got like a page and a half devoted to computers on my grow diary last Dec. Next time I'll PM you if I have a question like that, sheesh.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Yep.. had a feeling lol. I guess I shouldn’t have made any claim after trying to shut it down, but LED folks have a pretty hard time admitting there is one single downside to em I’ve found. I’m down with leds it’s just ya diesel does grow that massive space with 2 gavitas, cause they are badass. Leds don’t cover like that. Us HID users get preached the good word of LEDs daily like we live underground or something. It just gets to a point where it’s like Cool light bulb bro. Mine works too. Cheers.

I dont see @1diesel1 having 30x30 flowering area with 2 gavitas. 2.5w per square foot will just not work for plants. It doesnt work that way. Whatever light you use 2.5 watts is not enough to grow buds.

This is not about admitting anything, who gives a fuck. What i cant stand is that you havent addressed a single downfall of hids i posted but making claims about leds and their coverage. Light is light. 2.5w of light is 2.5w of light. Even with a supposedly perfect spectrum, 2.5w will not grow anything.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I dont see @1diesel1 having 30x30 flowering area with 2 gavitas. 2.5w per square foot will just not work for plants. It doesnt work that way. Whatever light you use 2.5 watts is not enough to grow buds.

This is not about admitting anything, who gives a fuck. What i cant stand is that you havent addressed a single downfall of hids i posted but making claims about leds and their coverage. Light is light. 2.5w of light is 2.5w of light. Even with a supposedly perfect spectrum, 2.5w will not grow anything.
Sorry, it was a hypothetical question I’m still working on my next build. The 30x30 is on the table still for my next flower room. My existing room is a pitiful 10x15.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Sorry, it was a hypothetical question I’m still working on my next build. The 30x30 is on the table still for my next flower room. My existing room is a pitiful 10x15.

Yeah i watched your videos before and thought man thats 10x10 something :D
In an area of 10x15 2 gavitas equals to 15 watts square foot and i see you dont fill it to the brim and dont use the egdes of the grow area which makes the actual canopy even smaller. So probably 25-30w per square foot of canopy or something you’re using. That will grow nice buds not 2.5w :)

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Lol. You and your futuristic ceramic bulbs. Might as well flower on mars with the ufo crowd. :)

I just bought 2 new 600w ballasts for half price. No one blind tested here picked cmh bud any more than the hps bud including myself and the plants are too squat and leafy for my tastes. Too much blue light like these full spectrum led’s. That’s why they add the red now I guess.

Disclaimer: only used one Phillips 315 3100k vs 1 hortilux 600w super hps. Multiple 315’s would be needed to light plants better I think. Yield was much higher as expected with the 600 and as I said no one could tell the difference in final product.

In the room the cmh bud seemed sparklier but the bud production only went half way through the canopy and the hps made solid bud down to the pot.

The plants grew a bit greener and healthier under the cmh and finished a few days to a week sooner. Also fall colors came out much more under the cmh spectrum. Which I liked. Garden looked beautiful under the natural looking light.

But I think the 315 belongs in veg. ;-)

I will likely use both in my next build. A 600 and a 315 over a 4x6 area or so. Maybe 4’x5’.

The buds looked the best to me when I let the lights overlap.

I am interested in hortilux ceramic hps for the more natural light like the cmh. But the production of the hps

Oh yeah the 600w hortilux blue beat the 315 for yield and matched quality but grew even leafier looser buds.

The 315 alone has too narrow of a grow area. And it runs as hot open as an air cooled glass sealed 600 so it didn’t really save much money in electricity. I had to add an extra exhaust fan to my room to keep it as cool.

Lot of hype about simple tools if you ask me. Pick the right one for the job. I need the heat of hid in this cold place.
I’m with you bud. I rock hps at moment and also need the heat. Cmh has been around since like the 80 s man it’s just folks weren’t rocking them. I’ve seen the results and I will invest soon.

Crimson bud, I’ll admit any day that hid s are less efficient than led.. I have no problem. Way to hot for warm climates etc.. I just decided to be real and answer why I don’t rock leds.. people don’t love hearing it but oh well. If I had yours or smithjunks rigs I would proudly rock them no prob.. just not ready to invest. They seem very good compared to rigs from years back. Respect

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
I’m with you bud. I rock hps at moment and also need the heat. Cmh has been around since like the 80 s man it’s just folks weren’t rocking them. I’ve seen the results and I will invest soon.

Crimson bud, I’ll admit any day that hid s are less efficient than led.. I have no problem. Way to hot for warm climates etc.. I just decided to be real and answer why I don’t rock leds.. people don’t love hearing it but oh well. If I had yours or smithjunks rigs I would proudly rock them no prob.. just not ready to invest. They seem very good compared to rigs from years back. Respect

No problem if you dont like to use leds buddy but i tell you leds dont lack the intensity. There are 600w single cobs if you like. Just people use the little cobs to create a more even distribution.

I don’t really go around telling people that hids suck. They don’t. They’re a viable option for growing. Especially if you’re not very into diy, they come way cheaper compared to leds and new bulbs have a much better spectrum than the old ones. And cmhs are the top of the line. Its just that they are conceivably at their peak as a technology while leds are just at the beginning. So future is led for sure imo.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

No problem if you dont like to use leds buddy but i tell you leds dont lack the intensity. There are 600w single cobs if you like. Just people use the little cobs to create a more even distribution.

I don’t really go around telling people that hids suck. They don’t. They’re a viable option for growing. Especially if you’re not very into diy, they come way cheaper compared to leds and new bulbs have a much better spectrum than the old ones. And cmhs are the top of the line. Its just that they are conceivably at their peak as a technology while leds are just at the beginning. So future is led for sure imo.
Agreed, although no man knows the future lol. There might be some crazy laser light in a few years that outdoes everything, but I get your point completely, although the hid companies haven’t been napping either but I get it they are at a pinacle at moment. There are hps lamps with decent blue spectrum even (along with lots of green and red heat lol)

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Agreed, although no man knows the future lol. There might be some crazy laser light in a few years that outdoes everything, but I get your point completely, although the hid companies haven’t been napping either but I get it they are at a pinacle at moment. There are hps lamps with decent blue spectrum even (along with lots of green and red heat lol)

Yeah but when you look at it even gavita starting to produce leds and osram is in the business with fluence and so on. Yeah, they probably want a piece of the action but they also see a very probable shift from hids to leds most likely.

As far as new technologies, yeah everything is possible we can only dream :D

By the way, gavita led fixture is very cool :cool:

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Yeah but when you look at it even gavita starting to produce leds and osram is in the business with fluence and so on. Yeah, they probably want a piece of the action but they also see a very probable shift from hids to leds most likely.

As far as new technologies, yeah everything is possible we can only dream :D

By the way, gavita led fixture is very cool :cool:
If I was setting up commercial I would use plenty of LED light, but for small batch personal I want strongest product I can get a and cheap initial investment for my setup. It’s basically becoming two separate markets. Cause the kind of led setup I could get for my under-a-grand budget total would be garb lol. Folks with a bigger budget or going commercial with throw down 1500 bones for just the light no prob and love that light

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
If I was setting up commercial I would use plenty of LED light, but for small batch personal I want strongest product I can get a and cheap initial investment for my setup. It’s basically becoming two separate markets. Cause the kind of led setup I could get for my under-a-grand budget total would be garb lol. Folks with a bigger budget or going commercial with throw down 1500 bones for just the light no prob and love that light

I agree prebuilt units are very expensive for a hobby grower for example. Or the ones they can get their hands on are mostly crap. If indoors and small scale diy is the way to go. I mean all in all my 18 cob setup cost was 220$ (drivers, cobs, heatsinks and cables). So its actually pretty cheap if you diy :D

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I agree prebuilt units are very expensive for a hobby grower for example. Or the ones they can get their hands on are mostly crap. If indoors and small scale diy is the way to go. I mean all in all my 18 cob setup cost was 220$ (drivers, cobs, heatsinks and cables). So its actually pretty cheap if you diy :D
No doubt. I was thinking about doing that for my new and improved veg chamber. Did you document your build? I m not as handy as you but could prob figure it out. I’ve actually recommended other to do that if they are horned up for LED s but don’t have deep pockets

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
No doubt. I was thinking about doing that for my new and improved veg chamber. Did you document your build? I m not as handy as you but could prob figure it out. I’ve actually recommended other to do that if they are horned up for LED s but don’t have deep pockets

Well not much to document actually. I havent done a step by step but its pretty easy once you decide your lay out and the materials. I used 3x1m heatsinks with 6 cobs on each. Nice coating of thermal compound, put the cob into holder, screw in the holder and connect it to driver. Its really easy but if you don’t feel comfortable working with electricity, no need to risk it because, after all it is electricity and really dangerous.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Well not much to document actually. I havent done a step by step but its pretty easy once you decide your lay out and the materials. I used 3x1m heatsinks with 6 cobs on each. Nice coating of thermal compound, put the cob into holder, screw in the holder and connect it to driver. Its really easy but if you don’t feel comfortable working with electricity, no need to risk it because, after all it is electricity and really dangerous.
You almost lost me already lol. I got a buddy I could rope into it for a few buds worth of his time I bet. Maybe I’ll do some light reading later. I have seen assembled kits you can just screw together basically and that seems more my level of expertise haha

Latest posts

Top Bottom