Uncle Romulus’ Perpetual Nightmare/uneven Canopy

• Thread starter UncleRomulus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Compost turns black over time but that doesn't necessarily make it the correct soil for growing cannabis. Weed loves evergreen compost for its high acid content. I'd take a test kit to it to measure NPK and pH and see if it needs to be amended. You also need to mix for proper water retention and drainage. Peat holds water and pearlite or sand drains it. Expanded clay pellets do both but should be used in addition.

(*note* A lot of this is my opinion and there may be better ways. I'm still learning but I do my best to provide correct information.)

I am definitely taking all that advice. We have the university extensions to test soil. We live in out in country farmland.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Oh, I have that. Covered my septic system with it last summer. I almost cried, haha. Thought you had the the ancient tundra peat+evergreen in layers. Black like charcoal, basically the early stages of charcoal.

I thought he was sitting on black humus because of his location, but it sounds more like super fresh wood litter that the microbes have barely started on.

But yes, I was referring to the black soil you hear about. The smell is so rich. It's like perfume to a grower.

Look up Ancient Forest amendment.
View attachment 848968
Around $35 for .5ft cu.

Mix that with Fox Farm Ocean Forest, Roots Organic soil, and expanded clay pellets for super soil.
I have access to that ancient charcoal like shit as well. How would a guy go about testing? The clay pellets maybe but the rest is a no go for me. Not paying the shipping for soil for my outdoor. But I can definitely throw something together with mostly local pirated stuff. Arrrrrr

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

As long as I’m not taking significant amounts from one spot it’s all good. Also we have muskeg round here if that means anything to ya. Always been curious how plants would grow near that

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I have access to that ancient charcoal like shit as well. How would a guy go about testing? The clay pellets maybe but the rest is a no go for me. Not paying the shipping for soil for my outdoor. But I can definitely throw something together with mostly local pirated stuff. Arrrrrr

Test kits are cheap on Amazon. This is the one I bought for $28.
51CSEh5uZzL AC SY400

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004W6JC2U?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

As long as I’m not taking significant amounts from one spot it’s all good. Also we have muskeg round here if that means anything to ya. Always been curious how plants would grow near that

I think I would keep active bog soil/water away from my plants. Yes, a lot of biologicals, but may have many that you don't want.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

I was thinking that also, being a mostly indoor guy. I might still plant a clone or two near the edge and come back in the fall and see what happened. Maybe the whole world going on in that muskeg would be cool with cannabis.. maybe not. By the way some elders and others drink from the muskeg water ceremoniously. (Not kidding) the moss has antiseptic properties. My mom in law wore the moss as a diaper as a child.
Test kits are cheap on Amazon. This is the one I bought for $28.
View attachment 848990

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004W6JC2U?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

I think I would keep active bog soil/water away from my plants. Yes, a lot of biologicals, but may have many that you don't want.
Definitely ordering a test kit. I’m both leery and curious about all the different stuff I could use locally.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I was thinking that also, being a mostly indoor guy. I might still plant a clone or two near the edge and come back in the fall and see what happened. Maybe the whole world going on in that muskeg would be cool with cannabis.. maybe not. By the way some elders and others drink from the muskeg water ceremoniously. (Not kidding) the moss has antiseptic properties. My mom in law wore the moss as a diaper as a child.

Definitely ordering a test kit. I’m both leery and curious about all the different stuff I could use locally.

Are you near a university? Maybe you can see if anyone has done ecological studies, or is it sacred/tribal? Check for soil and water studies that have been done. If people can drink it I don't think I'd worry about microbes from it much. Obviously, your bogs are not like ours. You drink from a bog where I live and your likely walking away with parasites and dysentery.

(You could possibly take soil and water in to have it tested by a university lab. I don't know how good of an idea that is. Here in the States, that's a good way to get your land taken away. If there's something that big business finds profitable they'll use gov resources seize it. I don't know how Canada works in that regard, so use discretion.)

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Are you near a university? Maybe you can see if anyone has done ecological studies, or is it sacred/tribal? Check for soil and water studies that have been done. If people can drink it I don't think I'd worry about microbes from it much. Obviously, your bogs are not like ours. You drink from a bog where I live and your likely walking away with parasites and dysentery.

(You could possibly take soil and water in to have it tested by a university lab. I don't know how good of an idea that is. Here in the States, that's a good way to get your land taken away. If there's something that big business finds profitable they'll use gov resources seize it. I don't know how Canada works in that regard, so use discretion.)
No ones after my land cause it’s too cold haha. But that is an excellent idea. There is universities close enough that they would have tested it I’m sure.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

No ones after my land cause it’s too cold haha. But that is an excellent idea. There is universities close enough that they would have tested it I’m sure.

Never underestimate the power of greed my friend. The wealthy don't care about the cold because they always send others to get cold for them, or hot, or sandy, etc... just, protect your sh*t.

When I lived in the Sacramento delta, one of our local land owners was showing off the land. He unwittingly allowed access to someone to certain areas that that person couldn't legally visit without land owner permission. Soon after, the US Fish and Wildlife Service designated the whole area a protected wetland. All of the sudden farmers were forbidden to plant crops or get irrigation to feed them.

The housing developers who instigated this didn't care about the farm land. In another part of the delta they were able to develope because our farmland was now considered a "green zone" and that met Environmental Protection Agency guidelines stating that a certain percentage of the land must be left natural to maintain the integrity of the delta's wildlife. The land had been farmed on for over a century and the farmers were the ones who pumped the water in that created seasonal wetlands. The wildlife moved in because of it. It was a huge legal battle we won, but only after millions in legal fees.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I use an extra small screen to sift so it can be hit on a dab rig. The screen rejects like half of straight keef even. It’s nice in the bowl on top of some bud also.

How do you blaze it, brethren?

Good tip on the screen. I dust my bong tokes with dry sift collected from my screened trim tray.

Top Bottom