Undercurrent Dwc 8x4 Grow Tent Setup:

• Thread starter lbristol
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

lbristol

So I am just about finished designing my undercurrent DWC system for multiple 4x8 tents.

Parts list:

1 x 55 gallon barrel

9 x 5.3 gallon square black buckets w/ lids

15 x 1" double threaded bulkhead fitting & 15 x 1" pond hose adapters from Home Depot

3 x 1/2" double threaded bulkhead fitting & 1/2" pond hose adapters from Home Depot

1 x 320gph submersible pump

1 x 1/2" float valve

2 x commercial air pump

8 x 4" round air stone

The design is simple. The 55 gallon barrel is kept outside the tent, filled with properly PH'd fresh tap water, and is raised so it gravity feeds the controller bucket, also kept outside the tent. Reservoir is connected with a 1/2" bulkhead fitting to the controller bucket via the float valve. This is so the system always stays topped off. I chose 1/2" to ensure that the 1" fittings don't clog and overflow the buckets.

A submersible pump is set inside the controller bucket and the pump is connected to the first of 8 buckets via 1/2" bulkhead fittings and pond hose. The remaining buckets are strung in series with 1" bulkhead fittings and 1" pond hose. The water recirculates back to the control bucket every 5-7 minutes and and the entire system remains on 24/7. Air is pumped into each bucket via the 4" air stones continuously. The system is expandable to cover much larger rooms and the 55 gallon barrel/float valve combo always ensure that the water is topped off. The entire system is pumped out every two weeks and fresh water is added via the reservoir. Nutrients are added fresh every two weeks. Each tank has it's own shut off valve. An optional water chiller is added if water temps are not remaining in the optimal zone.

Pictures to be posted in the next week or so.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

So I am just about finished designing my undercurrent DWC system for multiple 4x8 tents.

Parts list:

1 x 55 gallon barrel

9 x 5.3 gallon square black buckets w/ lids

15 x 1" double threaded bulkhead fitting & 15 x 1" pond hose adapters from Home Depot

3 x 1/2" double threaded bulkhead fitting & 1/2" pond hose adapters from Home Depot

1 x 320gph submersible pump

1 x 1/2" float valve

2 x commercial air pump

8 x 4" round air stone

The design is simple. The 55 gallon barrel is kept outside the tent, filled with properly PH'd fresh tap water, and is raised so it gravity feeds the controller bucket, also kept outside the tent. Reservoir is connected with a 1/2" bulkhead fitting to the controller bucket via the float valve. This is so the system always stays topped off. I chose 1/2" to ensure that the 1" fittings don't clog and overflow the buckets.

A submersible pump is set inside the controller bucket and the pump is connected to the first of 8 buckets via 1/2" bulkhead fittings and pond hose. The remaining buckets are strung in series with 1" bulkhead fittings and 1" pond hose. The water recirculates back to the control bucket every 5-7 minutes and and the entire system remains on 24/7. Air is pumped into each bucket via the 4" air stones continuously. The system is expandable to cover much larger rooms and the 55 gallon barrel/float valve combo always ensure that the water is topped off. The entire system is pumped out every two weeks and fresh water is added via the reservoir. Nutrients are added fresh every two weeks. Each tank has it's own shut off valve. An optional water chiller is added if water temps are not remaining in the optimal zone.

Pictures to be posted in the next week or so.

Thoughts?
Well looking forward to seeing it!
Btw, welcome to the farm!

L

lbristol

Well looking forward to seeing it!
Btw, welcome to the farm!
Thanks! I should add that I ran into some issues with this setup.

With a 320 gph pump my water was changing over every 5-7 minutes. My design called for running the buckets in series and this lead to the first tank filling up while the last tank remained half full as the 1" passive draining bulkhead was having trouble keeping up with the 320gph pump. Rather than redesign the whole system I bought another cheap 160gph pump, hoping the 1"bulkhead will sufficiently keep up with that speed. That will mean my water is changing every 12 minutes or so which I think will be okay. I'll have air stones to oxygenate the water as well and there are no set guidelines for this type of thing. I chose recirculating for ease of use in nute feeding and draining ;p ... I'll keep everyone posted.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

With a 320 gph pump my water was changing over every 5-7 minutes. My design called for running the buckets in series and this lead to the first tank filling up while the last tank remained half full as the 1" passive draining bulkhead was having trouble keeping up with the 320gph pump. Rather than redesign the whole system I bought another cheap 160gph pump, hoping the 1"bulkhead will sufficiently keep up with that speed. That will mean my water is changing every 12 minutes or so which I think will be okay. I'll have air stones to oxygenate the water as well and there are no set guidelines for this type of thing. I chose recirculating for ease of use in nute feeding and draining ;p ... I'll keep everyone posted.
U could of saved some money and bought you a pvc valve and put it BEHIND the pump to slow the flow...

Let me see some pics..

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

so how is it lookin?

Latest posts

Top Bottom