Undercurrent With No Medium

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shawnery

Considering that aeroponics more often than not use no medium why is it you need them in a undercurrent enviroment?

I understand that without medium there in no support but if you're using two levels of nets is it really necessary? With a collar at the top of the cup and two scrog supports I would have to think it would be structurally sound?

If you can see the roots as well you would be able to set water level so much more precisely relative to the roots, no?

I'm sure there are other reasons not to do it but I don't understand how its possible with aero but not undercurrent.

Nugg

Nugg

You don't..I've have been growing like this for a few yrs...I use a net pot..a 2" thick ridged foam board..cut to fit tight inside net pot.. about a inch down...I have a square hole cut in middle..I buy the small rockwool cubes... After seed pops up I fill top with hydration pebbles..idk looks good? I'll post few pics...

Nugg

Nugg

S

Shawnery

My hope is to find a true aeroponic clone with no medium at all. Come to think of it how the hell do you pop a seed and grow a clone with no medium at all?

I want clones with collars and roots and that's it. Then I'll attach my own three inch collar to the clone. Set in the cup and forget it.

Nugg,

When you started getting any roots showing did you set the water height above the bottom of the roots or did you top feed until the roots really came in?

H

heisen

You don't..I've have been growing like this for a few yrs...I use a net pot..a 2" thick ridged foam board..cut to fit tight inside net pot.. about a inch down...I have a square hole cut in middle..I buy the small rockwool cubes... After seed pops up I fill top with hydration pebbles..idk looks good? I'll post few pics...
The only medium is water,that is what your using to support the plant,its what everyone else uses.just something to support the plant and base.
Hydroton is cheap and can be reused.there is no benefit with or without the rocks cause the roots sit in water

H

heisen

My hope is to find a true aeroponic clone with no medium at all. Come to think of it how the hell do you pop a seed and grow a clone with no medium at all?

I want clones with collars and roots and that's it. Then I'll attach my own three inch collar to the clone. Set in the cup and forget it.

Nugg,

When you started getting any roots showing did you set the water height above the bottom of the roots or did you top feed until the roots really came in?
From seeds you have to have something to support it.why are you trying to eliminate the net pot with rocks?think that's gonna increase health and vigor? Let me know where the link to the side by side comparison is.

Nugg

Nugg

Nugg,

I use a spray bottle for a couple days until I see a root...I run my water low at first to keep the rockwool from water logging,once I have decent roots going..about a week...I'll run it about to the bottom of pot..that's like 3" below my foam..they have plugs for clones but still need something to hold it...I run scog in one room to hold plants.other is stings in a v shape...

Nugg

Nugg

From seeds you have to have something to support it.why are you trying to eliminate the net pot with rocks?think that's gonna increase health and vigor? Let me know where the link to the side by side comparison is.
No comparison here..just lazy.didnt like clean the pebbles with all old roots when finished,I do it for simplicity..I did the hole bucket full of hydration..that's just dumb to me

S

Shawnery

I'm inline with anything that can stream line the process, much the same as nugg I guess. I just want the easiest route without any compromise to the end product. If not using medium will compromise the entire process than it's not worth it. If on the other hand there is no advantage or disadvantage grow wise than I would choose no medium and a scrog.

In terms of support a clone collar will support the plant until its tall enough to attach to the scrog. I wouldn't think of running zero substrate without a scrog. Shut, I wont consider growing again with out some sort of net to support my plants. That's one thing I learned this go with my girls.

H

heisen

I'm inline with anything that can stream line the process, much the same as nugg I guess. I just want the easiest route without any compromise to the end product. If not using medium will compromise the entire process than it's not worth it. If on the other hand there is no advantage or disadvantage grow wise than I would choose no medium and a scrog.

In terms of support a clone collar will support the plant until its tall enough to attach to the scrog. I wouldn't think of running zero substrate without a scrog. Shut, I wont consider growing again with out some sort of net to support my plants. That's one thing I learned this go with my girls.

Hydroton is cheap,and it works.the pebbles give the roots something to structure themselves.you dont want just a wad of root.you need them to mushroom out and down so your air can still go up the center and break the surface.
Scroggin is your best friend in dwc

S

Shawnery

In an aeroponic system it is standard not to use anything as a medium. It's just a puck at the top of the cup holding the stem in place. It can be argued if one system is better than the other but that's not the point.

I can't imagine there being any noticable difference in rooting needs between the two systems? I'm not arguing that hydroton and other mediums don't have their uses but the question is if they are better or even required.

H

heisen

In an aeroponic system it is standard not to use anything as a medium. It's just a puck at the top of the cup holding the stem in place. It can be argued if one system is better than the other but that's not the point.

I can't imagine there being any noticable difference in rooting needs between the two systems? I'm not arguing that hydroton and other mediums don't have their uses but the question is if they are better or even required.
That's aero man not dwc.aero sprays the whole root system because there suspended.

H

heisen

Why would you put roots in hydroton that have to be sprayed? Two completely different systems.aero the roots get there oxyegen from the air.dwc the water is oxygenated.

H

heisen

Perfect example of what you dont want.see how the roots are hanging in a wad.you want your roots to spread out in the rocks and form a curtain around the pot.lots of finger roots that can get lots of oxygenated water.the more spread out the roots the better.

H

heisen

Roots should be spread around and spaces out not like a wad of spaghetti hanging down.

20180520 234116

S

Shawnery

You still haven't stated more than opinion to back up your assertion that aero is some how better suited for mediumless growing. I get your reasons to say what you have said but there is no evidence to back up this belief.

Explain to me how misting micron sized water droplets around the root zone would effect it differently in terms of growth patterns compared to undercurrent?

Though I agree that root mass is of the outmost importance I do not agree that they have to be shaped like yours. Theres plenty of people growing huge harvests with roots that looked more like mine than yours. More root mass than mine and as much as yours but just shaped differently.

You're always asking for studies or factual evidence to back up people's beliefs. All I'm doing is asking for the same back in return.

P.S. Nuggs roots are not enough to support your argument! To nugg, that was not judgment of your roots but more a point of contention in the current conversation.

S

Shawnery

You can say things that sound great and right but we're right back at,

I'm right because I'm right and I just know more.

I'm more than sure the above is correct but it never hurts to explain what has brought you to that understanding. If you don't want to take the time to fully explain fine but than why waste your time at all?

S

Shawnery

Listen heisenberg,

I'm honestly not trying to argue with you,

I'm trying to better understand the experiences that have lead you to this belief.

I still don't understand what allows aero to run with no medium but dwc can't.

This is a pic from a dwc setup with no substrate and there appears to be great root growth. Honestly most root systems don't look like yours that I've seen. I'm not saying that's a bad thing I'm just saying perhaps it's not the only way.

Dwc deep water culture 14596062934kng8

Latest posts

Top Bottom