Undercurrent, XOXOX, and 27 gallon tubs

• Thread starter noone88
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

noone88

A preface before more boring words: many moons ago, I was a student of the Hive (pre-Dateline NBC fiasco). Back then, more than a decade ago, it became home to many of us miscreants that enjoyed the black arts, but couldn't talk about it anywhere else. We weren't just illicit chemists; we were researchers and enthusiasts of chemicals that just so happened to be Schedule 1. We eagerly shared knowledge and new discoveries because it was *our* community. And the money wasn't so bad either; flying into town for a week, printing out 20,000 copies and wholesaling it for 10 each. I suppose some of you growers can reminisce on those good ole days as well..

But alas, there was never a phenethylamine-medical movement and as the site's popularity skyrocketed along with the poor decisions of its members, we were further pushed underground and subsequently, the Hive is no more and the bees have scattered.

After spending hundreds of hours browsing many MJ-related forums, I have to say that Logic and crew have one of the best sites related to medical cannabis in the world. They have fostered a great sense of community where people are able to share knowledge. This is definitely a place where an old bee can call home. Judicious use of the "ban" button keeps everyone in check.

Anyways, too wordy. Below is my take on Undercurrent, inspired by Doubleds, Krusty-buckets, and everyone else that came before me. I haven't been growing for long; I have about 14 months under my belt. The room is done; I wanted to show you a few pictures of it empty (I won't post pictures of a full grow room; something about discretion and valor). 10 tubs, 9kish watts. I run rdwc krusty buckets along the side for test strains.

I have a Doubleds mpb room setup almost exactly the same. I feel the water flow in the UC may not be strong enough. I have a 1800 gph pump for 10 buckets with a spare 1200/1800 gph pump ready to go just in case. I'm going to skip the pump filter bucket because it seems all the dead organic material and bits of hydroton just end up floating in each tub.

As to which system is superior, that's going to be hard to say. The Doubleds mpb was easier for me to setup by myself. Uniseals are no fun; I will probably use bulkheads if I build another undercurrent room. I feel the XOXOX light arrangement is superior to the fixed-layout of the cch2o system. Something about 1k watt = 1 plant sounds delicious. I know of someone that's ordering a UC barebones package, so i'll see how that goes. UC system is probably good for someone that doesn't have the time or tools to make their own system, but I spent way more time assembling the tubs with the uniseals than cutting the pvc, holes, or the plumbing.

Next go around, i'll be doing a ground-level doubleds mpb setup with pool pumps.... in a walk-in freezer.

Undercurrent xoxox and 27 gallon tubs
Undercurrent xoxox and 27 gallon tubs 2
Undercurrent xoxox and 27 gallon tubs 3
Undercurrent xoxox and 27 gallon tubs 4
JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
Uniseals are super simple and it takes a second to slide the pipe through...I use a drop of astroglide lube you can find it in the pharmacy section in your local drug store..Or in some cases some may have it in there night stand..:giggle The spacing seems really tight against the wall have you thought about taking out some buckets to give you more room..JACK

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

holy cow. this oughta be good. In CO, we're toying with the idea of 30ft trees and multi-level vert lighting, due to new regulation...lol. I like the idea of 28 gal buckets...

P

Purkle

Premium Member
Supporter
Tuned in for sure on this one. Real interesting with that bucket system. Cant wait to see some nuggets. Congrats man!

R

REGISTRD

excuse my stupidity Im just getting crossed over here...

This is a DIY version of the CC under Current?

BOSSMAN88188

BOSSMAN88188

Looking real nice.
I agree with jack. It is gunna ba a full room.

L-Immortal

L-Immortal

I use a drop of astroglide lube you can find it in the pharmacy section in your local drug store..Or in some cases some may have it in there night stand..:giggle

LOL um wow now thats funny! All I used was a spray bottle with a few drops of dawn to slide em around.:winking0067:

Oh and good luck bro your room looks tight, your gonna need a creeper to move around on your bacside in that room. Gonna be a super tight jungle in no time

opt1c

opt1c

i can see how uniseals without soapy water would suck a lot.... that and a rubber mallet and you're set

how many watts total are you going to use? 10k?

N

noone88

Plants have 40" centers. The room is 11'x22'. Looks cramped and my other rooms are cramped as well. The strains I run tend to go taller, not bushy.

The plastic on the 27 gallon tubs are thicker, which makes the uniseals harder to use. I think this is the only time I wished I had more of the Home Depot tubs instead of the Lowes tubs.

N

noone88

light/plant arrangement is:

XOXOXOX
OXOXOXO
XOXOXOX

1k's down the centers, 600 at the corners

Plants on the sides get 3 sides of light. I don't mind if it hits the wall. Tight fit, but i'm a ninja.

M

mrdizzle

I think the room looks great. Im a big fan of the xoxox light pattern as well, Its wastes the least amount of light, I hope the 40in centers workout for you, I still cant wrap my head around it, my 5.5ft centers are have kolas 3incesh from them.

I think your buckets against the wall are fine, if there aint a bulb on the back side no need to waste space on it. I just train as many braches to the 3/4 sides getting light

What size chiller you using? I know what you mean about the flow, I think it might be hard to keep the water chilled because it sits in the bucked too long befor it makes it back to the chiller.you might want to add that other 1800gph pump plumbed on the other side and I think your set. Good luck bro let us know how it goes

opt1c

opt1c

on the flipside too much water flow could possibly suck roots through the buckets and into the pipes much easier. i'm only running 6 13gal buckets but my 500gph pump is enough to keep the water in the last bucket 67.7f all day with only a 1/4hp chiller. i think the airstones in the buckets do a lot for moving the water around as well.

you going bare bulb?

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Set up looks ok...plumbings a little ghetto but it should work out for you. Surprised to see someone with larger containers not upgrade to 3" PVC?

As far as water exchange in the modules as it stands you'll be exchanging +/- 150 gph per module with flow you currently have, that's accounting for the small loss in output from having about 3' foot of head pressure. Increasing your pipe size from 2 to 3" would help increase circulation as much as a larger pump.

At that rate you'll be changing the solution per module over 6 times per hour, hard to imagine that not being sufficient, but who knows....I'd be more concerned with uping your DO levels than worrying about increasing your circulation.

Looking forward to seeing this grow unfold....thanks for sharing.

N

noone88

Ghetto? Thanks! Whenever I do something new with hydroponics, I fully expect 200 gallons to spill on the ground.

This was my first time doing this style, so a lot of the pvc pieces had to be cut and recut while assembling. I'm sure cch2o had many pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-production models before their system became for sale. Same with GH's Waterfarm, Botanicare's Aerojets. No one gets it perfect the first, second, third, or tenth try.

I run 20lpm of air in each tub via 2x12" airstones.

Back to my ghetto garden..

lollipopman

lollipopman

your setup is not ghetto.. think ur doing a great job.. cant wait to see more pics

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Hydro from the street

I meant Ghetto in the best possible way ;) You know slightly unrefined but street smart. LOL

I'd imagine your rigth about those hydro companies going through some R&D learning curve....only difference is that was probably while they were innovating those systems....but I guess there's a learning curve for reverse engineering too.

Top Bottom