Undercurrent, XOXOX, and 27 gallon tubs

• Thread starter noone88
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

noone88

Ah, my journey with setting up the correct veg for MPB DWC.

If doing MPB tubs, the easiest is doing top feed in 3 gallon hydroton buckets on a tray. You'll have algae in the tray and also on top of the hydroton and pH fluctuates like crazy, but you can also run decent amount of beneficials since you have all that hydroton for the beneficials to colonize. Be sure to flush the crap out of the 3 gallon buckets before moving to your flower room.

I have switched over to DWC veg buckets. Pretty basic stuff: 3 gallon buckets, 1/2" grommet at the lower side of the bucket for feed, 3/4" grommet at the upper side of the bucket. After clone have rooted, I go from a 6" net cup to a 10" net cup built into a bucket lid as soon as I see roots popping out of the 6" net cup.

I used to cram 9 buckets under one 600w on a 3x3 tray, but was not happy with the results. So i've divided my veg buckets: 2 rows of 3 buckets with a 600w overhead. I spaced them out a little bit more. I also dropped 250w Feliz CFL between each of my 6 buckets.

If you have the time, you can veg in your MPB/UC system and would have killer results. I have a separate veg/mother area which i'm trying to utilize and also keep my flower rooms flowering all year long, instead of a few weeks of downtime to veg. If you're using the UC system, you almost have to veg in the UC system since the roots will pop out of the 8" net cups very early on. Or buy a smaller UC system.

Ultimately, just like with flowering, plants will do well with as much light as you can throw onto them. I've gone from 18 buckets and 1200 watts of lighting to 18 buckets and 2550 watts of lighting.

It is still a work in progress... and i'm buying Humboldt Roots by the gallon now :puke

N

noone88

Well, I have determined that cramming everything into the smallest area possible is the best if you're running a mini-split. I have another room which is 25x15 (compared to this one which is 20x10) and with 7k watts, 3 ton minisplit, the minisplit cannot cool the room to the right temperature. I have to set up 6" fans to duct the cool air to the corners of the room. With this room, the temp is locked in at 82-83F.

I'll try to take a picture of the room with it dialed in. It's a beast.

CheechWizard

CheechWizard

I thought I could take care of my fungus gnat problem, but apparently they can smell vegetation a mile away. So i've begun cycling in pyrethrum in a fogger and neem oil right on the root mass, a long with sticky-traps, once a week during res changes. I don't think i'll ever get rid of the gnats, but I should be able to keep them under control. I've never grown trees before and I never had fungus gnat problems during flowering so this is definitely a learning experience every cycle.

See if you can pick up some Gnatrol (Bt). I had fungus gnats from some soil I bought and couldn't shake them till I nuked them with gnatrol:hunter: took a few doses. The stuff is amazing.

Good luck on your grow!

-CW

N

noone88

Yea I have to buy it by the cases. Gonna start phasing it in this week. Mosquito dunks aren't working for me.

B

bigtrees

any bodys thoughts on using 1500 watt air cooled in tubes on 45 inch centers. Im gonna use reflective panels ceiling sides on this system.

S

sands

I was thinking the same thing but with a big chiller and heat exchange boxes on the cool tubes.

S

Socachi

Noone88 it's been awhile since anyones posted on here but just wanted to saw that's a great setup you have and this thread has alot of good info for us wanna b UC. Thanks... Socachi

R

RMCG

So after a few runs by now, would you still keep the 3 rows or go down to 2?

You said a 3T A/C couldn't keep up in the bigger room. If you had to do it again, would you increase A/C size or shrink the room?

Any other changes you would make if you had to do it again?

Been patiently waiting to hear about your mammoth tent set up too.

N

noone88

In my larger room with the Mr. Slim 3 tonner, I'm pretty sure the control board is effed. The room is coming down in a few months anyways so i'll have it diagnosed. Right now in that room, i'm running 5k watts with a 3 ton AC.

It is best to cram everything into a as small of a spot as possible. The other option is to go with the multiple wall unit minisplit (or do a lot of ducting with excel units). My room with 9.4k watts and Fujitsu 3ton, the temp is dialed in correctly at 85F with my hydrofoggers running.

I'm not doing the mammoth tents anymore. Finishing up a 10k watt / 6k watt flip flop with a 3ton and 2ton.

Fujitsu Halcyon units are fucking rock solid. I prefer them over the Mr. Slim.

Lastly, i've been buying UC systems. As I stated in another thread, negotiate with your shop. The markup on the system is like 75%.

S

Socachi

I know you said you'd be tearing it down soon but any pics as to whats been going on?

L

legalizethis

Premium Member
Supporter
nice work.

im sad to hear your gonna take it down an buy a unit.

i built a few on my own and it works great. im using 3" seals for the flower room units. im using 2" for veg ones. the buckets are stack an nest totes from global industrial. 20x24x13 is the size i use for the bloom. i was going to use the home depot ones but they are thinner in the plastic material and i decided to go with the totes DD uses but in UC style. for the veg i actually have the exact buckets UC uses the 13 gal ones but with 2" seals.

i just been dialing in here an there. i got it down pretty much now. mainly just the water pump and air pumps i been dialing in. found a happy place for both of them.

http://i2.invalid.com/albums/y30/spryguyvan/3058e6e5.jpg
http://i2.invalid.com/albums/y30/spryguyvan/c3521353.jpg

R

RMCG

Love it. Looks like the UC double barrel unit. Where are the return lines?

Do you have any flow issues/restrictions on that end manifold going from 3" to 1" (or 3/4")?

L

legalizethis

Premium Member
Supporter
dont wannt thread hijack

the returns are on the left side of the pic can't see it really. i dont have any flow restrictions currently. a few systems i went from 3" to 2-3 feet of 2" then 1" to the pump. both ways i havn't had an issue yet. i want to see which way works better an stick with it.

N

noone88

Love it. Looks like the UC double barrel unit. Where are the return lines?

Do you have any flow issues/restrictions on that end manifold going from 3" to 1" (or 3/4")?

Should be no problem. As long as your pump is sized correctly for the tubing. 1" tubing is perfect for 1800gph+ pump.

The change to 3" was to allow for more for passive flow and to give the roots more room (in the standard UC 9/13 gallon setup). I didn't have any problems with roots clogging the PVC in the 27 gallon tub.

The 1" lines will feed the pump so it's actually pulling a suction through the tubing/pvc to feed the pump.

M

MediMary

An olidie but a goodie, really enjoyed this thread, Lots of great insights man !!

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I was just re-reading your diy UC thread today and realized something. You were a part of The Hive.

I wasn't really a part of that stuff, but I knew a few folks that were. Also wound up in a holding cell (I was in for a DUI) with the ringleader Strike. himself. Anyway....thought you might get a kick out of that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom