Unhappy Plants In Small Pots

• Thread starter jerkchicken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jerkchicken

Hi guys,

Hope everyone's well and good! I could do with some help please but know it's going to be hard to answer on here. I always start seeds in peat pellets/jiffys, then pot them into 1l pots, then 11l to finish them. I use soil.

I always end up with decent bud that I enjoy but they're only ever happy in the pellets and 11l pots. They often look overwatered in the 1l pots but if I leave them longer they dry too much! Can't win! I nearly accepted defeat and put the pellets into the big pots immediately but want to get it right. As soon as they've settled into 11l pots they're happy and perform well.

Anyone else seen this? I always give them a small amount of water for the first few days when they've been potted, then water till I get run off and wait for them to dry, normally every other day in the small pots, 3-4 days in the big ones.

Sorry for the long post and I've got no pics because they're no longer in the small pots. Is this impossible to answer on here without seeing them haha?! Is there anything else that causes the same symptoms? They look overwatered even when moist or dry.

Thanks for any help you can give people!

Dunge

Dunge

I use much the same up-potting steps you use.
I never water to runoff for a few weeks after up-potting.
The logic being, why put water in the corners of the pot that is going to sit there for weeks until some roots grow in.
And weighing your pots is the best way to assay water content.
Just lifting them works too.

J

jerkchicken

Thanks for the reply mate, appreciate the help. Yeah makes sense to not water the whole pot when they only contact with a small part of it. Mine are usually only in the 1l pots for 2 weeks and they've filled them with roots.

I've been doing some reading and think I know what I'm doing and it's a bit silly of me but I suppose if you don't know you don't know. I've been giving them cold water straight out the tap without letting the chlorine evaporate for 24 hours and the water is very cold too, about 7 degrees c I believe. Is that my problem you reckon?

Enforcer

Enforcer

The chlorine will kill off your micro heard in the soil. The cold water will shock the plants roots each time, which I believe is the wilting you’re seeing....temperature shock.

J

jerkchicken

I've had some hermie issues a couple of times too, prob the temp stress. Cheers guys, will start leaving my water out and making sure it's right temp. 20c or just below I believe.

Enforcer

Enforcer

I would recommend keeping your water temp between 19-20*c. You could probably go to 21*c. Any higher and funky stuff starts to grow. Any lower and you may induce shock.

Dunge

Dunge

I ran hot furnace water to my greenhouse last spring.
Roots love warm water.
Cold water reduces metabolic capacity in the root zone.

J

jerkchicken

Ok thanks, great help. Could the cold water or chlorine cause a nute lockout or deficiency do you reckon? I have some mns g13 skunk which look like they have that going on but the dna cannalope kush and karma karmarado og look much better. Would have expected it to be the other way round to be honest!

Enforcer

Enforcer

Ok thanks, great help. Could the cold water or chlorine cause a nute lockout or deficiency do you reckon? I have some mns g13 skunk which look like they have that going on but the dna cannalope kush and karma karmarado og look much better. Would have expected it to be the other way round to be honest!
Overfeeding the media and ph issues cause lockouts. Underfeeding the media causes deficiencies.

showmegreen

showmegreen

Cold roots no good cold things don't move well. Chlorine is... well... Bad for the good buggers breakin down your soil. I'd run her water out the tap hot and then let cool to room temp. Chlorine evaporates at aroun 84 F ta 88 F a pinch of sugar / gal.,when the water is hot, always makes them happy too. Just a suggestion.

J

jerkchicken

Oh ok, so I want hot water that cools down rather down cold water warmed up. Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated

Enforcer

Enforcer

With respect to Showmegreen, I wouldn't recommend using hot water. Water that goes through your hot water heater will have increased ppm from the accumulated minerals in the tank. I would recommend filling up buckets with cold tap water and leaving them sit out for 24 hours. That will allow the chlorine to dissipate and come to ambient temperature. If you are having a hard time keeping you water warm enough, you can use a cheap aquarium heater. The are about $20 on Amazon and will keep your feed water at the proper temp. Mine is in the garage and I use a heater. Stays at the perfect temp all the time.

showmegreen

showmegreen

With respect to Showmegreen, I wouldn't recommend using hot water. Water that goes through your hot water heater will have increased ppm from the accumulated minerals in the tank. I would recommend filling up buckets with cold tap water and leaving them sit out for 24 hours. That will allow the chlorine to dissipate and come to ambient temperature. If you are having a hard time keeping you water warm enough, you can use a cheap aquarium heater. The are about $20 on Amazon and will keep your feed water at the proper temp. Mine is in the garage and I use a heater. Stays at the perfect temp all the time.
I didnt even consider residual materials in the tank. Good eye!

Top Bottom